Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

Just now, AKCJ said:

If we signed him we'd almost definitely send him out on loan.

No one knows for certain but from what I hear he's not interested in going on loan anywhere, he's refused to go on loan to both Scottish and English teams in his time with us, of that I know for sure. He wants to go somewhere where he'll be a first team squad member and will be given opportunities.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers and his team seem to be very good at getting young players feeling integrated in to the set up. I'd imagine they'd be telling him that they'd want a few months pre-season with him and to try and get him a loan in to the Championship or even to replace Sowah at Leuven.

Him going to Lille or Ajax won't offer him any better opportunity of 1st team football. Look at the amount of wingers and attackers Ajax have. They have to loan or sell several a season, its nuts. 

Yeah completely agree with that but from what I can gather he has some delusions of grandeur.

He'd get eaten alive at Championship level at the moment.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

11 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah completely agree with that but from what I can gather he has some delusions of grandeur.

I think he'll get eaten alive at most levels at the minute. He's like Tavares who has been in an academy for many years where he has been top boy and the whole club bloke smoke up his 'arris. It's a nightmare to try and navigate them through this and progress their careers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Sounds like that classic example of the schoolboy that gets into the mens team and thinks he's made it there and then.

Needs to learn the game. Isn't going to learn that making sub appearances once a month for Celtic, Leicester or Ajax.

Is going to learn it by playing 23s football or going out on loan. As Ric has said, I would be amazed if (if we do sign him) he doesn't end up on a season long loan at Leuven next year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Sounds like that classic example of the schoolboy that gets into the mens team and thinks he's made it there and then.

Needs to learn the game. Isn't going to learn that making sub appearances once a month for Celtic, Leicester or Ajax.

Is going to learn it by playing 23s football or going out on loan. As Ric has said, I would be amazed if (if we do sign him) he doesn't end up on a season long loan at Leuven next year.

Might even do the same thing we did with Hirst, he "signs" for Leuven, and then joins us for an undisclosed fee

46 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Might even do the same thing we did with Hirst, he "signs" for Leuven, and then joins us for an undisclosed fee

That happened so we didn't have to pay Sheff Wed £1-2m. Dembele can join us for free can't he? Or do you still have to pay compensation for young players from Scotland or Wales? 

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That happened so we didn't have to pay Sheff Wed £1-2m. Dembele can join us for free can't he? Or do you still have to pay compensation for young players from Scotland or Wales? 

I think if we got Dembele the compensation would be the same kind of level as what Leuven paid for Hirst

I was thinking of us doing it more so he can go straight to Leuven and possibly into first team football, and then be a future way for us to also chuck a bit of money Leuvens way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Still got my suspicions this will happen also, particularly as his brother also plays for Peterborugh an hour up the road.

The only thing I think may make him recitant is he's been quite clear he doesn't want to go and play reserve/U23 football anywhere. That's a large part of the reason he's leaving Celtic, lack of opportunities. He doesn't look ready for SPFL football yet so he'd be lightyears away from even making the bench at Leicester I reckon. I'd imagine he'd maybe be reluctant if he was signed on the premise of being an under 23 player.

It's a catch 22 for him really as he needs to realise his level at the moment and that is he's not ready for first team football yet and he probably actually needs 12-18 months of regular reserve ort lower level football preferably to have any chance of developing. Had he went out on loan when he's had the chance he may have made the jump already.

The specualation up here the last few months has been Ajax and Lille are the frontrunners. I'd imagine the pathway to first team football at both would be a less tough nut to crack than at Leicester.

....you and I have spoken about him previously and the big problem which you brought up was his size in relation to making the breakthrough to the first team!!!

I am surprised that you think had he gone out on loan this situation could have been resolved as his physicality is more due to nature than bulking up prematurely in order to compete. He has had 2 games this season for Celtic (as far as I know) with no real plan for bringing him through and subsequent cameo roles out wide could have given a better indication of where he is and encouragement to stay as there was a potential pathway for him to continue his progression.

He really should not be too keen to come and be part of our U23s and if anything he would definitely be part of our first team setup.

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....you and I have spoken about him previously and the big problem which you brought up was his size in relation to making the breakthrough to the first team!!!

I am surprised that you think had he gone out on loan this situation could have been resolved as his physicality is more due to nature than bulking up prematurely in order to compete. He has had 2 games this season for Celtic (as far as I know) with no real plan for bringing him through and subsequent cameo roles out wide could have given a better indication of where he is and encouragement to stay as there was a potential pathway for him to continue his progression.

He really should not be too keen to come and be part of our U23s and if anything he would definitely be part of our first team setup.

I think the stuff around his height gets overstated, yes he's small but so are plenty of other players and that doesn't hold them back in their careers.

The problem is it's not just physically where he needs to develop to be ready for first time fooball, it's most aspects of being ready, his development has really stalled the past 18 months.

I agree Celtic haven't handled him particularly well, since Lennon came in anyway, but there's only a pathway to the first team if you earn the right and show enough in training and development games and he quite simply hasn't been doing that. A lot of the boys at at a similar age to him in our setup have caught up with him. I regularly listen to a Celtic podcast that covers our development squad's games and he's not really been pulling up any trees for a while now. That's why the sides like Barcelona, Man City, Bayern Munich are no longer courting him and it's sides like Ajax and Lille who probably view him as a bit of a punt now.

There's so much hype around him because of the things he was doing at 13 and 14 years of age but even if you look at YouTube there's not too much of anythng spectacular since then.

He still has a chance and still has a lot of potential but I don't get a great feeling about what's going to become of him now, particularly as he doesn't seem to realise where he is in his career, essentially with it all still to prove.

From Leicester or whoever else's point of view though it's still a no brainer in terms of taking a punt on him, he's on a free, won't cost much in terms of wages and there's still potential to work with. He just needs to realise he needs to go somewhere and earn the right to play and not expect doors to be opened for him due to hype around him when he was much younger.

He won't be part of the first team setup at Leicester, absolutely no way, he's miles off that, being involved in an EPL match day squad, trust me.

As @Ric Flair suggested the best thing for his development at the moment if he were to sign for Leicester would be to immediately go out on loan to Leuven or a league 1 club and knuckle down and break into a first team and get some real experience.

At the moment, he still needs to prove he can play first team football at any level before having designs on anything beyond that.

I believe Dembele is a far better character and far more grounded than this example and I'd never wish his career to go the same way but he'll do well to choose his next move wisely, realise where he's at and not become the next Islam Feruz who had simialr levels of hype about him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sergio Aguero reported to be wanting to stay in the PL. Probably not feasible anyway, but, with the CL on the horizon a year’s contract at a good wage would be great for experience. I don’t think he is over the hill yet, he’s just had a bad year, but I imagine wages would be an issue. He’s a great pro though.

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Sergio Aguero reported to be wanting to stay in the PL. Probably not feasible anyway, but, with the CL on the horizon a year’s contract at a good wage would be great for experience. I don’t think he is over the hill yet, he’s just had a bad year, but I imagine wages would be an issue. He’s a great pro though.

Good to dream, but I think realistically if he goes anywhere in the Premier League it will be Chelsea. I just don't see us investing in a player for one year in the hope that he may do wonders. Secondly, I'm not sure he'd see us as a realistic option, as like many, we are not seen as an established team who can win something every year, as yet.

With Barnes injured , the current first choice City team has no academy players in it. Signing new players( except the much needed striker) will only make it even more difficult for these younger players to get a chance. If we do not use them ,we will definitely lose them . Remember we are one of the top clubs in Europe and we need a proper development of young players.

16 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Leicester City and Crystal Palace are in contact with Marseille winger Florian Thauvin, who will be out of contract in the summer.

[L’Equipe]

top source 

The Thauvin rumours just won't go away. For the right fee, he would be a brilliant addition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

We're (amongst others) linked with Maitland Niles in the Mail this morning. 

would be a bit of a meh signing IMHO and I wouldn't be throwing too much of our transfer budget at getting him.

Would be more of a Palace or Newcastle signing probably as can't see him getting a place ahead of any of our starting XI

32 minutes ago, BlackFox said:

He is 29 and played most of his time in League 1. I'm not sure BR would be into that 

I like the idea of a bit of experience in the team. I see this as a similar situation to Evans and that has turned out brilliantly. So on a free transfer, I can see BR bringing him in.

Edited by MGLCFC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

With Barnes injured , the current first choice City team has no academy players in it. Signing new players( except the much needed striker) will only make it even more difficult for these younger players to get a chance. If we do not use them ,we will definitely lose them . Remember we are one of the top clubs in Europe and we need a proper development of young players.

What a strange comment.