Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

So we're targeting a man who's 'prioritising the economic aspect'. At nearly 29, apart from money, is Thauvin actually hungry for anything else? Would he be prepared to bust a gut to adapt to Rodgers ways? Or when circumstances don't suit, will he spit his dummy out as he has at his last 3 clubs, though admittedly his current one is in disarray. 

• Like 4

Pass on Thauvin. Surely we have our eyes on someone else after all the time we've spent looking for a left footed attacker. That's a serious hurting should we be left holding the bag on that one. If we have to look at his name on the bench like we've been watching Under then I'll be happy to hang the anchor on Congerton's Neck. Hope its a BS article because I like Lee.

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The 3412 formation presents a very interesting problem for us. Like many I've been of the opinion that a top class inside right forward would take the team to another level, and that might still be the case. But 3412 has made Iheanacho into one of the best strikers in the league, and Perez actually looks like a 30m player in the same system. Soyucnu, Evans, Fofana and Kasper at the back is as good as anything in Europe, especially with Ndidi in front of those 3. Ricardo, Castagne, Justin and even Albrighton are great option for wing backs. Barnes could play instead of Vardy, Maddison can come in for Perez. Maybe the system we are currently using is the best use of the players we have in our squad and we should embrace that rather than change it?

Maybe instead of looking for players to challenge for first team places, it's another case of having more squad options? We don't have someone to deputise for Tielemans so IMO that is a priority. Edouard for 15m would also be a no-brainer deal to make.

We're anointing Kelechi as one of the best strikers in the league based on a couple of games, one of which was against a sieve?

If we want to be top four and a real threat in Europe, we need wingers.  We have one, Barnes, who probably wouldn't fit in a 3-5-2 anyway (and Ricardo doesn't either).  I don't see the long-term logic in marginalizing Barnes to adapt to Iheanacho and Perez - he's a better player than they are.  Rather than doing that, bring in someone who can play the right wing effectively (and satisfy whatever it is that Rodgers seems to want from that role, which is a mystery) and go back to the formation which best suits the best players we have.  Having the ability to play 3-5-2 when we need to based on the opponent, injuries, and schedule crunch is great but re-inventing the wheel to make it our default makes no sense.  Good teams can play multiple formations depending on need.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

One of the problems we have with the 3412 system is we haven't really got anyone who could come in if either of the the 2 up front got injured or suspended.

Perez played in a 2 at Newcastle so could see him going there. Can also see Barnes playing there when he’s fit. 

Other option would be to change in to a 3-4-3 with 2 playing narrow behind the striker 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

So we're targeting a man who's 'prioritising the economic aspect'. At nearly 29, apart from money, is Thauvin actually hungry for anything else? Would he be prepared to bust a gut to adapt to Rodgers ways? Or when circumstances don't suit, will he spit his dummy out as he has at his last 3 clubs, though admittedly his current one is in disarray. 

This is another point to consider. Thauvin is undoubtedly talented, but the last time we signed players over 25 on a permanent was the summer of 2019: Evans and Ghezzal.

Since then, the oldest we have signed permanently is 25/26.

That suggests signing Thauvin would be an unlikely break from our strategy, based on that approach.

• Like 1

RW still top priority for me. Like others, loving the current 3 ATB and really optimistic Kel can continue in this vein of form, at least being given the rest of this season.a real conundrum currently re long term formation, but with someone like trincao/coutinho (thauvin as a budget restricted option) we potentially have 2 top drawer formations and nobody is being bought to replace/upgrade anywhere else, just an additional option.

With injuries like this season we either have a fallback to whichever is working at the time, or can mix it up for regular games in Europe where the opposition won't even know how we are going to set up.

RW all the way for me, and with trincao/ coutinho, let us dream (thauvin could even be in addition to a first choice RW now we are massive (budget pending)

We can probably discount signing any players who represent countries qualifying for AFCON.

Already, we could lose 5 players.  Nigeria, Senegal and Ghana have qualified and South Africa could join them.

It could also affect who we let go.   As we will lose Ndidi, perhaps it could mean selling Mendy as we will need to strengthen our defensive midfield allocation.  Iheanacho not being available for a month means we will definitely need a striker.  Amartey as former Ghana captain must be a potential recall for them;  this makes him less valuable to Leicester.  I wonder  if it could lead to him moving on; although he is a great back up,  if he goes it could leave us short of numbers at the back.  Leshabela as a fringe player is less problematic.

The AFCON is likely to have quite an effect next season on a few clubs.

12 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Doesn't sound like our sort of player at all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

He was one I was most excited about, not been that good apparently but we need @Ric Flair to comment, he's probably watched all the games he's played.

Even in his clips he doesn't look overly good and his stats aren't that special. In fact Under looks more of a prospect tbh and we're not interested in him. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CloudFox said:

This is another point to consider. Thauvin is undoubtedly talented, but the last time we signed players over 25 on a permanent was the summer of 2019: Evans and Ghezzal.

Since then, the oldest we have signed permanently is 25/26.

That suggests signing Thauvin would be an unlikely break from our strategy, based on that approach.

Thauvin is 29 and possibly a similar level to Maddison and Barnes in a position that is definitely our weakest position in RW. 

I think it would be great business to get him in there and really solidify that position. The cherry on the cake would be to buy someone like Faivre as well and pick any three from four behind Vardy but that might not be possible with our budget.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Thauvin is 29 and possibly a similar level to Maddison and Barnes in a position that is definitely our weakest position in RW. 

I think it would be great business to get him in there and really solidify that position. The cherry on the cake would be to buy someone like Faivre as well and pick any three from four behind Vardy but that might not be possible with our budget.

I completely agree, I just can't see it happening, despite the rumours.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Trincao's stats at Braga last season were very admirable and I can see why we wanted him. He's creative, he scores goals, he's rapid and possibly the most important attribute for Rodgers is that physically he is strong and his defensive work rate very high. 

Just finished watching Portugal U21 run rings around England U21, and liked what I saw of Trincao. Gerriminn!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Heymister2015 said:

I liked the sound of Thauvin! But I’d rather spend on Trincao 

Agreed, but I think you've hit the nail on the head with the problem, when you state 'spend' on Trincao. Thauvin is a free agent, and whilst Trincao would be a better prospect and have more sell on value potentially, I do think we could have limited transfer funds this Summer as I feel improved contracts for 4 or 5 key players may be the priority.

• Like 1

Linked with Raul de Tomas of Espanyol

http://sportwitness.co.uk/leicester-city-west-ham-targeting-16-goal-striker-pl-duo-will-try-sign-player-summer/

Leicester City and West Ham targeting 16-goal striker – PL duo will ‘try to sign’ player in summer

Espanyol star Raúl de Tomás has emerged as a target for Leicester City and West Ham United.

That’s what Fichajes.net are reporting and add the Premier League clubs ‘want to sign’ the striker in the next market.

The 26-year-old joined the Spanish side from Benfica in January 2020 and decided to stick with the club after they were relegated from La Liga.

De Tomás has impressed in the Segunda División, scoring 16 goals in the league and his fine form has helped his side sit top of the second division table.

The attacker’s performances have seen him become a target for ‘teams in Europe’, to the point that they would be willing to make an investment to secure his signature.

It’s claimed three Premier League clubs, Leicester and the Hammers, along with Leeds United, will ‘try to sign’ De Tomás in the summer.

The Foxes have Jamie Vardy and Kelechi Iheanacho as the two options up front. The report states Brendan Rodgers wants a new striker because of Vardy’s age.

West Ham will also look to invest in a new striker after failing strengthen the position in the last window. The London club’s intention is to bet on a ‘less contrasted name’, who ‘can grow within the team’.

With Espanyol leading the second division table, the report doesn’t specify De Tomás’ chances of staying at the club, if they are promoted to the top flight.

• Thanks 1