Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

Feels like the day football has died. It has just become another franchise sport like the NFL or NBA. Yes it'll have supporters still and will create a lot of money. It will lose its soul and everything that makes it special at the same time. It's over to UEFA, FIFA and individual national football associations now to save the game by immediately banning the participants from any official football matches and competitions for the foreseeable future. It's the only way football might survive. 

• Like 1

This is part of the Covid scam in my opinion. They are telling supporters that you won't be allowed to attend matches anymore but you will be allowed to pay to watch meaningless friendlies on your netflix stream and respond to the adverts they show you.

Matches will probably be split into 4 quarters rather than 2 halves in order to maximise revenue.

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

Lots of sh1t flying around and rightly so.

I will be amazed it the whole thing goes ahead but most likely it will be postponed while some kind of deal is worked out.

The clubs have released statements, I think it’s fair to say the premier league is going to deal with them harshly they have to.

3 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Does this essentially mean we’ve qualified for the Champions League along with West Ham?

It looks very likely. It also looks likely we'll be winning a league and cup double as well. However I don't feel like it's anything to be celebrated. It just all seems so shit. 

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Both sides will compromise. I stand by what I said earlier, they won't actually follow through with this it's a threat. 

It happened in rugby a few years ago, the French and English teams wanted to change the power balance in the Heineken Cup and do a deal with BT Sports for more money, so they essentially ditched it and threatened to make their own competition. 

We had two years of rangling and arguing and pulling back and forth before all parties agreed on a new format, payment structure, qualification rules etc and what we've ended up with is fundamentally the same tournament we had before. 

I doubt we'll see wholesale change. I assume that the plans that this group had for the new format champions league have stalled and so they're throwing their toys out the pram with this in a big power move to get their own way. 

I agree with you completely 

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Love how the headline/subject is 'Leading European football clubs...'

Yet the lists includes Arsenal & Tottenham lol 

Exactly . Imagine marketing this to new markets around the world as the best Europe has to offer and selling a subscription to watch the shite that those two serve up week in and out

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Both sides will compromise. I stand by what I said earlier, they won't actually follow through with this it's a threat. 

It happened in rugby a few years ago, the French and English teams wanted to change the power balance in the Heineken Cup and do a deal with BT Sports for more money, so they essentially ditched it and threatened to make their own competition. 

We had two years of rangling and arguing and pulling back and forth before all parties agreed on a new format, payment structure, qualification rules etc and what we've ended up with is fundamentally the same tournament we had before. 

I doubt we'll see wholesale change. I assume that the plans that this group had for the new format champions league have stalled and so they're throwing their toys out the pram with this in a big power move to get their own way. 

This all sounds feasible but I personally think it's gone too far this time.  I think the statements from the likes of UEFA, the PL, FA, etc etc etc are so strong that it would make it politically impossible for them to give further ground without another almighty backlash.  The fact national governments are beginning to get involved shows this is getting extremely serious.

The dirty dozen now have a clear choice.  Put up or shut up.  If they don't do it now then they never will.  I don't think they've quite realised what they've done yet.  But it's bad.  Real bad.

• Like 1