Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

It’s funny seeing people talking about seeing the game out.

Last season no team scored more goals than us in the last 10 minutes - 23 goals.

We only conceded 10 in the last 15 minutes all season.

Of those 10 3 were against Spurs on the last day of the season and the only other goal late on that cost is points was Barkley’s injury time winner for Villa. 
So, using evidence we did not lose a single point last season by sitting back and holding on to what we had. 
I could also think of possibly 8 games where we either got a late equaliser (Man Utd home, Crystal Palace away), Late winner (Sheff Utd away, Arsenal away, Brighton away) or wrapped up the points in a close game (Leeds away, Southampton home,) or Liverpool at home where we did all three!

The last 15 minutes, Brendan Rodgers generally gets it spot on! 

This.

The post I would write if I were less lazy and more smarterer. X 

• Haha 1

Chelsea have proven once again that sitting back with a blanket defence and breaking quickly gets the job done more often than not. Atletico have been doing it for years without , on paper anyway, the class of player of other teams. That of course is how we won the title. It may not be "entertaining" football but winning is the name of the game.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I get some of the frustration at times though. Personally you can't argue with the results, we see out games well but on the flip side we've a number of quality midfielders and attackers who can't simply be kept on the bench unless we need to chase the game.

Rodgers since he's been here has never really thrown points away in the closing stages and at the back end of 2018/19 and the first half of 2019/20 he wouldn't make the level of defensive substitutions and we'd often score a lot of goals when the game was won, that happens less now. We shut games down when 1 or 2 up and Rodgers gets more satisfaction out of that, see the comments after Fulham away and West Brom at home. Was happier in the 2nd half of the games where we had no interest in attacking and just wanted the game done and take the 3 points.

With our squad we don't always need to shut it down with more defenders and defensive midfielders, but until we do throw a game away doing that then I doubt we'll see a change. Rodgers has changed his style as a manager, he knew he was a bit too stubborn in his approach, think we're just going to have to accept it.

To be fair with a little more composure from the Vardy and Barnes we could have easily added a couple goals, still created good chances after the changes.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, StanSP said:

While any performance on any given day could be better, I don't get why people continue to source some negatives and misery on seeing out wins (proven by @Aus Fox that we manage games and get results). We literally get the points, and keep a clean sheet in the process yesterday. Even if there were some sketchy moments.

If we go out and chase more goals, then concede and don't win the game, the same people moaning about going defensive will moan about not winning a game from a winning position. 

It's also not the difference between a good and great managers. Great managers win trophies and Rodgers has added two of these in the last 3 months. Only being a 'good' manager doesn't even get you to those opportunities in the first place. 

I think anyone not satisfied with how things are these days are striving for too much and their expectations will continue to remain unrealistically high, therefore never being able to be reached by any one. 

Changing fan base, increasing expectation.

Growing fanbase some who haven't been through the painful lessons of the past.

We all laugh at Spurs and Arsenal fan but we are collecting a few of our own.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

Thought we were right to go 3 at the back tbf. Wolves were in the game, really pushing and deserving of a goal, the bloke on the left was free all the time. Rodgers had to do something.

On Vestergaard I thought he did ok.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eblair said:

Quite glad everyone else remembers thinking evans was going to be shite after that wolves games

Must learn to stop judging players after one games. My worsts shouts include: Ricardo Perreria, Zsolt Lacko and Adrien Silva

Adrien Silva made his debut having been bought on as a sub at Fleetwood in the FA Cup and didn't look too bad. The rest of his tenure at City was utterly underwhelming, although it can be argued that having never established himself as a starter it was difficult to judge. So not entirely sure what you mean here. 

Just now, Line-X said:

Adrien Silva made his debut having been bought on as a sub at *Fleetwood in the FA Cup* and didn't look too bad. The rest of his tenure at City was utterly underwhelming, although it can be argued that having never established himself as a starter it was difficult to judge. So not entirely sure what you mean here. 

*Huddersfield in the league. New year's Day.*

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Adrien Silva made his debut having been bought on as a sub at Fleetwood in the FA Cup and didn't look too bad. The rest of his tenure at City was utterly underwhelming, although it can be argued that having never established himself as a starter it was difficult to judge. So not entirely sure what you mean here. 

I assumed reference was being made to Watford at home, where Silva came off the bench and looked good for the short time he was on the pitch

Edited by martyn

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jannik-vestergaard-opens-up-failed-5790569

So we tried to get him before but ended up with Bennett

Jannik Vestergaard opens up on failed Leicester City transfer after making move 18 months on
The Danish centre-back nearly became a City player in January 2020, but Southampton pulled the plug on a deal, keeping him on the south coast for another year and a half

ByJordan Blackwell
07:00, 16 AUG 2021
SPORT

Jannik Vestergaard is a Leicester City player – a year-and-a-half after he thought he would be.

The Dane completed his switch from Southampton to City on Friday and made his debut on Saturday, helping to see out a 1-0 win over Wolves.

But when City made their move for the centre-back, it was not their first time approaching the Saints for his services, and came close to signing him in January 2020.

Vestergaard has opened up about City’s first approach for him and that he believed a deal had been done before Southampton decided not to sell late in the day.

Unable to get their man, City brought in Ryan Bennett on loan from Wolves, and Vestergaard continued at St Mary’s for another 18 months.

“In football, many things happen very quickly,” said Vestergaard, reflecting on City’s first bid for him. “It seemed done at the time, but it suddenly wasn’t, Southampton blocked the move.

“You need to be ready for anything. So I spent 18 months more at Southampton and played some of the best football of my career.

“Things take their course and I've ended up in a better state.”

Vestergaard had spoken to Brendan Rodgers around the time of his first proposed move, but is now working for him, and likes what he has seen so far.

“It’s been extremely positive, he’s a great leader and everyone’s on board with his ideas,” the 29-year-old added. “He allows the player to have a lot of personality as long as they buy into his philosophy and it’s great.”

After making his debut – Vestergaard playing the final 30 minutes – he will be in contention for a first start for City when they travel to West Ham next Monday.

He is looking forward to getting time to train with his new team-mates and settle into new surroundings.

“I don’t think coming into the game I was expecting the amount of time I got,” he said, with Rodgers telling him pre-match that he might be needed for five or 10 minutes.

“It was a great feeling but it was a bit of a task, because you want to start off on the right note. I came into a team that is great, is resilient, and we needed a bit of that, and there were some crucial blocks and good defending.

“I’ve been here as an away team and it was nice having the crowd with me this time. We needed them, we had to dig deep, they helped get us over the line.”

He added: “I’m just trying to find my feet. I was happy to come on and show a couple of things I think I’m good at, like moving the game forward.

“Whether I’m ready for a place in the starting 11, that’s up to the manager, I’m just looking forward to training a little more with my new team-mates.”

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, davieG said:

Unable to get their man, City brought in Ryan Bennett on loan from Wolves, and Vestergaard continued at St Mary’s for another 18 months.

I thought I had successfully purged this man playing for us from my subconciousness but this has brought it all back. I'm getting 'Nam flashbacks over here fellas. I can hear the choppers and smell the burning rice paddies. We need air support.

• 4 weeks later...