Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-1 Spartak - Post-Match Thread

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I’m not doom and gloom about tonight.

On another night, we’d have smashed that and frankly, Vardy’s turd of a penalty lost us the game

Their goal though…. Again, defensively we were all over the place

But we controlled the whole game tbf

How would we have? We had about 4 shots. We dominated possession but it's not like we missed a hatful of chances. They defended deep after what Daka did to them last time and it was one of their easiest defensive performances of the season, this is a team who had conceded 14 goals in their last 4 games. We are an abomination this season.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

If anything sums up our play nowadays, it was Lookman this evening. The guy has shown he can be offensive and skilful. Tonight he played almost every ball backwards and kept himself isolated on the left as if he was scared to get the ball or go forward. Incredible. 

Lookman was unbelievably poor when he came on. He was up against a geriatric ex winger at RWB and failed to beat him even once. In fact,  he stopped even trying after a couple of early failed attempts. Just played simple backward passes and hid from the ball. 

• Like 3

I'm at a loss for what needs to change. I don't think Rodgers wants them to pass it around so slowly, he always talks about quick triangles, and we did start that way. It then just slowed down as if we'd run out of ideas.

Three at the back isn't working. It should, but we have no left-sided player who can cover the flank like Castagne does on the right. I know it's classic Foxestalk, but I really hope when JJ gets back he can find his feet quickly. We desperately need his pace down the left.

Bertrand is in poor form. Thomas is inexperienced, but I'd still rather persevere with him. Do we go back to 4-2-3-1, with Maddison behind Vardy and Youri with Ndidi or Soumaré as the double-pivot? Or perhaps Ndidi at the base, Soumaré/Maddison and Youri as the 8s?

Defense-wise, surely has to be Evans and Amartey for a few games, with Castagne on the right and...Thomas on the left?

As a side note: Castagne worked his socks off tonight. Everything good involved him in open play, was great to see.

• Like 1

Reality is, a team like Leicester need to be able to defend exceptionally well to be competitive week-in, week-out. That is the entire problem now. We are the same team we have been in an attacking sense, but we cannot stop hemorrhaging goals. We simply aren't a strong, cohesive defensive unit, especially with Ndidi hobbled, and while Soumare is impressive for his versatility and athleticism, he is no Ndidi defensively, and it showed on that goal IMO.Their goal doesn't happen if Ndidi is playing. We are timid and hesitant defensively, pointing fingers at one another. And FFS, we pass backwards for no reason all the fuching time with available players up the field. It drives me nuts. We are good when we are aggressive and focused on coming forward. Rodgers needs to ****ing scream in some faces. This performance was an abject failure. 

There is zero chance we win the group. May even be trouble qualifying for the play-in. Can you imagine if we lose to Legia Warsaw? They still qualify for the knockout with a win vs. Spartak if we lose to Napoli. We could finish last in our group. Huge opportunity blown. Simply pathetic. 

Tielemans is gone. I can see him mentally checking out each performance like this. Let him go and anyone else who wants to leave (if Maddison, then Maddison, not clear how he feels). We need to shake this team up, it is just flat performance after flat performance. We are stocked with talent, but we do not seem to be a TEAM so much. We need to sign a CB in the winter transfer window if we have any hope of qualifying for Europe again next season. This team, with it's current personnel, are a bit better than a middling side in the Prem. We can beat most anyone, and we can get blown up by most anyone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I’m not doom and gloom about tonight.

On another night, we’d have smashed that and frankly, Vardy’s turd of a penalty lost us the game

Their goal though…. Again, defensively we were all over the place

But we controlled the whole game tbf

Are we really controlling a game when aside from Big Dans goal and Vardys pea roller penalty we only managed 1 other shot on target? Spartak have conceded about 10,000 goals this season and we barely troubled the keeper. 

I'm so bored of watching us completely fail to break down any teams that sit in a low block, can literally see us run out of ideas. 

• Like 4

Other than against an awful Man Utd, when did we last impose ourselves on a game at a high tempo? It was dreadful tonight. Spartak we’re terrible and I honestly can’t think of a Leicester player who played well (maybe Castagne?)

I love Rodgers, but we are playing how his Liverpool and Celtic sides did towards the end of his time there. 

Too many players were hiding tonight. Kelechi, Perez, Bertrand, Lookman. Where the hell was Soumare 2nd half?? 

Also don’t understand why we kept with a back 3 all match. Bring Thomas on and get some more threat down the wings!

We massively missed Maddison and Barmes tonight, brave footballers who keep trying stuff even if it isn’t going for them. Take those two away and our squad has nothing. Really does highlight that our recruitment hasn’t been up to scratch in the last 2 windows

• Like 4

We're just painfully, brutally mid-table.  With our squad we could be so much more.

It's gotten to the point where I feel genuinely envious when I see other teams teams play with passion and tempo.  

We're just relentlessly boring and gutless.

• Like 4

I’m getting sick of seeing three at the back with two wingbacks tbh. Think we should convert back to a flat back four with two wingers.

I want to see quick, direct football down the wings. Not bull crap possession based, sideways crap that’s boring as **** to watch.

Edited by buzzer_b
  • Like 1

Just now, wokinghamfox said:

We hit the post twice, miss a penalty and one of our own players prevented a certain goal. Had we won 5 1 would there have been so much negativity on here because on another day that could've quite easily happened.

One of the post hits and Nacho's block were the same incident. The penalty was quite soft and the actual kick pathetic. We created hardly anything really against a really poor team. 

1 minute ago, TrentFox said:

They’re just names. Reputations. It’s about performing on the day and today, none of them did. As I said, nobody was bad. But nobody was good. 🤷

A lack of quality is something you say about a team that tries and tries but ultimately just can't quite get the ball over the line. 

That is not us. 

Tielemans has scored two goal of the month entries in the past month.

Vardy is famed for his insane shot / goal ratio.

Daka scored 4 in a game and looks a natural finisher.

Iheanacho up there with the best last season for his goals per minutes played ratio. 

Maddison I'll admit doesn't have much going for him at the moment, but if you had to praise him for anything it'd be his passing ability and vision.

Whether it's a coaching problem or a mentality problem, we just do not have the urgency to create enough chances. 

It's particularly telling how often we have been scoring immediately after the opposition score. It's as though it angers the team, which gives them the fire in their belly to thrust forward, and shock horror the quality does the rest. 

Quality couldn't be further away from being the problem. We play like a seniors five a side team consisting of the best the world has ever seen. Quality there in abundance, but pace of play? Forget it.

• Like 2

Just now, Iran said:

Was it Rodgers who missed the penalty?

You seem to have missed the point completely? What has a single penalty miss that I never mentioned got to do with a prolonged period of games where we have been poor, playing boring football and conceding goals every game got to do with it?

if you can’t contribute to a conversation properly don’t reply.

It really isn't that impossible that we'll still go through in 2nd. Beat Legia and hope they don't beat Spartak last game, even if we lose to Napoli. Also hoping Napoli beat  Spartak next game otherwise we're probably looking for a draw in the Legia/Spartak game.

Fair I wouldn't put money on us beating Legia tbh

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

A lack of quality is something you say about a team that tries and tries but ultimately just can't quite get the ball over the line. 

That is not us. 

Tielemans has scored two goal of the month entries in the past month.

Vardy is famed for his insane shot / goal ratio.

Daka scored 4 in a game and looks a natural finisher.

Iheanacho up there with the best last season for his goals per minutes played ratio. 

Maddison I'll admit doesn't have much going for him at the moment, but if you had to praise him for anything it'd be his passing ability and vision.

Whether it's a coaching problem or a mentality problem, we just do not have the urgency to create enough chances. 

It's particularly telling how often we have been scoring immediately after the opposition score. It's as though it angers the team, which gives them the fire in their belly to thrust forward, and shock horror the quality does the rest. 

Quality couldn't be further away from being the problem. We play like a seniors five a side team consisting of the best the world has ever seen. Quality there in abundance, but pace of play? Forget it.

Struggling to disagree more with that. I thought we had some reasonable energy and urgency tonight. But our quality on the ball was woeful. All of your references are heavily centred in the past. Tonight’s game was about players’ form tonight. Not last season. And tonight the quality was poor.