Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Greatest football player ever and why?

Greatest player ever …. And why?   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest football player ever?

• Pele
    • Diego Maradona
    • Ferenc Puskas
    • Franz Beckenbauer
    • George Best
    • Johan Cruyff
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Lionel Messi
    • Ronaldo (R9)
    • Gerd Muller
    • Luka Modric
    • Alfredo di Stefano
    • Zico
    • Other

Personally don't give a shite with these arguments of who the GOAT is in whatever sport, however I do feel strongly that winning the World Cup doesn't suddenly cement someones spot (or even their place of being in contention) as being the GOAT. Messi is as great a player as he was a month ago with one extra trophy to his name.

• Like 4

I do think that one of the arguments for it being Maradona IS a valid one.. the state of the pitches back then.

To do with the ball what he did, whilst not playing on a pitch as smooth as a snooker baize was pretty remarkable.

And to almost single-handedly lead Napoli to the Scudetto was equally as remarkable.

Messi is a phenomenon but he’s only really done it when playing alongside world class players. Napoli were shite before Maradona signed for them.

But again, I suggest that the votes primarily for Messi will reflect the average age of the people on FT. Watching Maradona play live was something else, it really was.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 2

I feel like out of all of them Maradona is most likely to have succeeded in any era. And he played on teams that were not necessarily expected to win trophies, unlike Messi.

Still think Ronald Nazario at his peak was the best player I've seen in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

Messi didn't just win the World Cup, he was the best player at the World Cup, was the difference maker in so many games scored in every knockout game, if he hadn't missed his penalty against Poland he would have scored in every game. Yes, I know a few were penalties, but you've still got to score them (Harry!). 

If you want to compare him to Maradona at 34 he was kicked out of the World Cup in USA for failing a drug test and left in disgrace, Messi is lifting the trophy and winning the player of the tournament at 35. 

That is outstanding.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Messi didn't just win the World Cup, he was the best player at the World Cup, was the difference maker in so many games scored in every knockout game, if he hadn't missed his penalty against Poland he would have scored in every game. Yes, I know a few were penalties, but you've still got to score them (Harry!). 

If you want to compare him to Maradona at 34 he was kicked out of the World Cup in USA for failing a drug test and left in disgrace, Messi is lifting the trophy and winning the player of the tournament at 35. 

That is outstanding.

Completely agree with that. If we’re talking performances over the longer term, Messi wins hands down.

Maradona basically killed himself with his off field antics

Messi is the consummate professional. Humble, likeable and keeps himself fit so he can keep playing. 

• Like 1

Every generation needs someone to bang on about for the annals of time. "He was the best", "if only you saw him play" as you'd rock on your chair surrounded by great grandchildren. Now with this modern era we have Americanised abbreviations to pronounce from every place.

It's the same old debate which has been floating around ad nauseum; you're comparing different eras of athletic ability and different fundamental types of footballers. If it doesn't come down to the barebones level of achievements; Cups won, goals scored, assists made in games played - weighed against finals lost, games lost ect. It's impossible to weigh it up from many factors. I think it comes down to personal favourites and the need for things to be sensationalised. The whole Messi vs. Ronaldo argument of the last dozen years is usually centred around idiot fans of 2 of the biggest clubs in the world in that time, desperate for their man to be the declared best(ever).

So I don't profess to know who the best ever is, or was. The game needs stars, in another dozen years someone else could be the #megaundisputedGOAT(ever), they'll be signed to a major sports brand and you won't hear enough of them(til the next if we're lucky). Let's just hope they're English.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I think it's impossible to compare players from different eras. There's so many variables and no way to really measure it IMO, so it's all just personal bias and opinion really.

It's the same argument in golf with Tiger v Jack.

What's "golf"?

Is it a thing?

33 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

Every generation needs someone to bang on about for the annals of time. "He was the best", "if only you saw him play" as you'd rock on your chair surrounded by great grandchildren. Now with this modern era we have Americanised abbreviations to pronounce from every place.

It's the same old debate which has been floating around ad nauseum; you're comparing different eras of athletic ability and different fundamental types of footballers. If it doesn't come down to the barebones level of achievements; Cups won, goals scored, assists made in games played - weighed against finals lost, games lost ect. It's impossible to weigh it up from many factors. I think it comes down to personal favourites and the need for things to be sensationalised. The whole Messi vs. Ronaldo argument of the last dozen years is usually centred around idiot fans of 2 of the biggest clubs in the world in that time, desperate for their man to be the declared best(ever).

So I don't profess to know who the best ever is, or was. The game needs stars, in another dozen years someone else could be the #megaundisputedGOAT(ever), they'll be signed to a major sports brand and you won't hear enough of them(til the next if we're lucky). Let's just hope they're English.

So what you are actually saying is, it's subjective? 

And thereby, you are correct.

• Like 1

If someone offered me a choice between watching Messi and Zidane, playing on the same day and same time, I'd choose to see Zidane. I don't like Messi's style; the way he plays - effective as it is. I like the 'swashbuckling' kind of player - Roberto Carlos and Marcelo on a run kind of thing. Or Charlton at full speed, bearing down on goal, ready to unleash a twenty-five yarder. I see Ronaldinho was missing from the list. John Charles too, and Garrincha - who was reckoned to be, by many Brazilians, to be the equal of Pele. Marco van Basten warrants inclusion too, but the net gets wider and wider.  Jimmy Greaves is another sublime player not mentioned.

In fact, the stats have to be left to prove it objectively.

Maradona.

Changed the height of being called the GOAT to the next level which all these other players aspire to.

Single handedly  changed the fortunes of a club and took his country to titles dragging them by the scruff of the neck.

And most of the time he was probably drugged up on coke!

Having said that ots a pointless thread as you cant compare players from different eras.

Like in Boxing, would Tysons power beat Alis skill and flar?

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Kante. We had great players like Vardy and Mahrez, and players who played out of their skin all season. But the reason we won the Premiership was really our cdm. 

I think it would have been a very different final if Kante had been in that French side. He'll never be talked about in the same breath as Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona because he's not a match winner, just an outstanding footballer.

• Like 1

It's to hard to compare era's, and positions of course, but out of every player I've seen I got/get more enjoyment watching Zidane. Maybe because I was a bit younger then but he could do everything and consistently at every level.

Messi still doing it at his age, at that level, is incredible though. Same as Ronaldo really but the ball just seems to stick to Messi. Unbelievable close control, even still at 35.

Edited by Fox92

10 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I do think that one of the arguments for it being Maradona IS a valid one.. the state of the pitches back then.

To do with the ball what he did, whilst not playing on a pitch as smooth as a snooker baize was pretty remarkable.

And to almost single-handedly lead Napoli to the Scudetto was equally as remarkable.

Messi is a phenomenon but he’s only really done it when playing alongside world class players. Napoli were shite before Maradona signed for them.

But again, I suggest that the votes primarily for Messi will reflect the average age of the people on FT. Watching Maradona play live was something else, it really was.

This Argentina side is not full of world class players and they've won the World Cup and Copa America.