Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ClaphamFox

Leicester 'could face points deduction next season'

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, The Bear said:

So if you go up the PL nail you with a points deduction next season. 

If you stay down the EFL nail you with a points deduction next season as you've no doubt failed on the accounts for 23/24 too. 

I guess option 1 is the least of two evils. 

The accounting period for 23/24 runs until 30 June so we can’t have failed them yet, but yes, you can assume the EFL are salivating over the prospect of us breaching and staying down so they can get their claws into us. 

If we go up and our level of breach for the 20-23 period is between £25-30m (as Kieran Maguire estimates), we’ll likely end up with something close to Forest’s four-point deduction. Not ideal but not disastrous. 

Promotion is an imperative - it really could define our next decade and beyond. Unfortunately our squad and manager have chosen this absolutely crucial moment in our history to completely disintegrate. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

On 22 March 2024 Leicester City Football Club announced they had commenced urgent legal proceedings against the EFL and the Premier League.

This followed the Club’s referral to an independent Premier League Disciplinary Commission for an alleged breach of the Profitability and Sustainability Rules (P&S), ending in financial year 2022/23. The Club had also been placed under an EFL registration embargo, in accordance with Profitability & Sustainability Rule 2.10.1, after filing its 2023/24 P&S calculation.

One element of the Club’s legal proceedings involved an application to a League arbitration panel under the EFL Regulations in which it accused the EFL, amongst other things, of acting ‘unlawfully by conspiring with the Premier League to use unlawful means and to procure or induce a breach of contract by the Premier League’ in relation to its proceedings against the Club.

The Club made an application for an interim injunction to prevent the EFL from imposing a sporting sanction in the current 2023/24 season. 

Leicester City sent no letter before action and issued the proceedings without notice. 

The core issue in question was whether the EFL has the ability under its Regulations to apply a points deduction in its competition if ordered by a Premier League Disciplinary Commission.  

Having taken legal advice, the EFL has confirmed to all parties that whilst it would want to respect any decision of a Premier League Disciplinary commission (and vice versa) to deduct points in the EFL, it does not have the power under the Regulations as currently drafted. 

On the basis of that confirmation, the League Arbitration Panel held that the Club’s application for an interim injunction was neither necessary nor appropriate. The League Arbitration Panel dismissed the Club’s application accordingly. 

Click here to read the decision.  

It remains a matter for Leicester City to comply with the P&S rules in all circumstances. In accordance with the League’s established processes, the EFL will continue to apply the P&S rules to ensure all Clubs meet their financial obligations so the competition can continue to operate in a fair and consistent manner.

I genuinely think I'd rather lcfc dissolved now. We've won it all. The highs will never be matched. It's impossible to check out emotionally but it's just misery more often than not now. Either we bottle promotion or we go up and come straight back down before a ball's been kicked. I'm not sure I've the energy for it anymore. Surely there's other things in life that can fill the void, but I've no idea what! 

57 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Do we have any idea how bad the EFL points deduction might be? 

At least we don't have to worry about beating Derbys lowest point tally. 

Don’t know but with each press release you can imagine they want to throw the book at us.

EPL points deduction was 3 points for breach + then 1 point for every £6.5m we were over. A lot depending on allowed deductions.

37 minutes ago, sdb said:

I genuinely think I'd rather lcfc dissolved now. We've won it all. The highs will never be matched. It's impossible to check out emotionally but it's just misery more often than not now. Either we bottle promotion or we go up and come straight back down before a ball's been kicked. I'm not sure I've the energy for it anymore. Surely there's other things in life that can fill the void, but I've no idea what! 

Golf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sdb said:

I made the "fold the club" comment last night which wasn't serious but it did get me thinking about what we want going forward. We have done it all, as you say, and probably the only thing I would like is a European trophy or another go at the Champions League. Both of those are extremely unlikely with the current and expected financial rules in place. So what can we do?

Even if you stay down and get points deducted you're not gonna get relegated to League One. Come on now be serious, things aren't quite that bad. You'll still have a decent squad for this division even if you sell some more high earners. Not to mention you might get some players in who want to grasp the chance with both hands. 

Edited by The Bear

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Even if you stay down and get points deducted you're not gonna get relegated to League One. Come on now be serious, things aren't quite that bad. You'll still have a decent squad for this division even if you sell some more high earners. Not to mention you might get some players in who want to grasp the chance with both hands. 

Please only post in the birds + telly thread.

14 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

The irony of this, the EFL must be pissing themselves at our implosion. They will take us to the cleaners next season, yet more arrogance from the ****ing jokers that run this club.

The trouble is when you win the sort of victory via a judicial system that Leicester clearly have you then have given those that have taken the beating a clear way forward and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that those gaps will now be closed

The core issue here isn’t who could or couldn’t proceed with PSR violations it’s have there been  any. I think it’s pretty clear that the numbers would suggest that charges are going to be determined and all that  is happening is the can has been kicked down the road.

Get promoted and the PL will pursue their 22/23 charge which if proven will almost certainly be a points deduction add to that if there is a breech for the 3 year cycle ending 23/24 in the EFL ( which the EFL have already predicted) then the gap in the rules  that LCFC have exposed namely there isn’t a rule in place in either the PL or EFL rules to facilitate point deductions in one set up to be imposed by the other will be closed in the  two leagues 24/25 rule books.

If the unthinkable happens and promotion isn’t achieved then I don’t expect that any sanction  for the  PL 22/23 charge will be enforced in the EFL but it will be suspended till such time as promotion is achieved.

In a way it’s a repeat of the Everton two charges. They fought that the earlier one was dealt with earlier and by delaying itThe PL rules caught up with then meaning they faced two charges in the same season

Edited by Terraloon

4 hours ago, sdb said:

Local football. I'm off to watch my local club side later.

Cricket season is underway, great social side to it too.

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

It's very hard to know what the squad would look like next season. Iheanacho, Vardy, Ndidi, Vestergaard all out of contract. Fatawu goes back to Sporting. Assets will be sold to plug the financial gap so probably KDH gone too, maybe Hermansen.

Embargo if sales haven't made up the gap totally should mean a very quiet window for us. Gaps will be filled with more academy players or players we haven't been able to shift because they're a bit shit.

I agree with you that we still shouldn't go down, but it probably depends a little on the level of any points deduction we may receive and whatever players we have left.

On 11/04/2024 at 20:01, Ric Flair said:

Unless I'm missing something here, this is a major limitation to the non big 6, far more so than the current rules.

Correct. Can only result in a closed shop, with usual suspects buying the best players to maintain the best squads and the other 14 trying to punch above their weight.  Not only does this prevent another 2015/16, it works to make it more unlikely that the likes of Wolves, Villa, Brighton and ourselves can taste European competition.

Just look at Chelsea, spent a small fortune and get around PSR by a related group company buying a property asset (hotel property) at an inflated value (set by themselves).  

Edited by JimmyC74
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sdb said:

This is me mate. Tired of it to be honest, I’m a lot happier when the seasons are over. 

17 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Just look at Chelsea, spent a small fortune and get around PSR by a group company buying a property asset hotel property at an inflated value (set by themselves).  

Hilarious that selling a hotel can count toward PSR, system is a laughing stock 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

We shouldn't have gone down last year or in 2008 but we did, we shouldn't throw away a 17 point lead and finish 4th but we will. This is Leicester City. A demotivated, disjointed squad of cast off, people running down contracts is exactly the kind if team to get relegated. We have relegation for now and will only get worse. 

Who owns seagrave? 

If it’s the club and we sold it then we’d not be able to train there because that would be too dodgy

If we do own it then we sell seagrave to a king power subsidiary 

we move back to belvoir drive

seagrave is mothballed for a couple seasons 

alternatively we take out points deduction and get on with it !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

It's very hard to know what the squad would look like next season. Iheanacho, Vardy, Ndidi, Vestergaard all out of contract. Fatawu goes back to Sporting. Assets will be sold to plug the financial gap so probably KDH gone too, maybe Hermansen.

Embargo if sales haven't made up the gap totally should mean a very quiet window for us. Gaps will be filled with more academy players or players we haven't been able to shift because they're a bit shit.

I agree with you that we still shouldn't go down, but it probably depends a little on the level of any points deduction we may receive and whatever players we have left.

....and Praet...and Albrighton.