Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Sunderland Away Pre-Match Thread

It's Stat time 

• Sunderland's last win over Leicester City in the Premier League came back in the 2001/02 season, drawing two and losing two since then.
  • Leicester City have lost just one of their last nine Premier League games against Sunderland (W5 D3), keeping six clean sheets in that time.
  • Jamie Vardy scored three times against Sunderland last season in the Premier League - against no Premier League side has he scored more goals.
  • Leicester haven't been leading away from home at any point this season in the Premier League.
  • Leicester's return of 13 points is the second worst record after 13 games of any defending champion in top-flight history (assuming 3pts/win); after Ipswich in 1962/63 (11 points).
  • Jermain Defoe (75%) has had a hand in a higher share of his team's league goals this term than any other player in the Premier League.
  • The Black Cats have won two of their last three league matches, as many as they'd won in their previous 15 combined.
  • Leicester City (417) have already been trailing for more minutes in the Premier League this season than in the entire 2015/16 campaign (391).
  • Riyad Mahrez has found Jamie Vardy with only two passes in the last eight Premier League matches that they have played together (421 mins) and has only created one goalscoring chance for the England forward all season in the competition.
  • The Foxes have scored a league-high 17 penalties since their return to the top-flight in 2014; the same total they netted from the spot in their previous eight Premier League seasons combined.

Sunderland are absolutely shite but they're going to want it more than us let's be honest. Can see us getting badly turned over here if we concede the first goal. 

Theyre awful but at least they can create chances for their main man up front, we haven't done that all year

If we lose this, then I am avoiding this forum for about a month! :ph34r:

We desperately need players like Vardy and Mahrez to up their games. We are seriously struggling and no Drinky makes us so weak in midfield. 

King and Amartey need to have big games and we might have enough, otherwise we may struggle.. which is a depressing thought, when we are playing Sunderland!

4 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

I think we are going to win this one and get back on track, purely due to law of averages.

On fact we are going to be so good that Drinkwater will struggle to get back in the side lol

I genuinely love your optimism mate. I hope with every fiber of my being we win this match.

Sunderland will want to turn this game into a right scrap and a war of attrition so we can't let them, we need to get a hold of this match straight away and can't afford to let our concentration slide. we need to find the forward players as often as we can and can't let our defenders take the pressure the whole game or they will buckle. we need to keep the ball as far away from our goalkeeper as we can and the midfield will have to work extremely hard to protect our defense. no more hit and hope balls but precision passing and quick feet to get around their players and to utilize our pace. we really need a statement of intent instead of the lame performances that we should not be getting used to. the players need to work hard and show their quality. the fans want it, the fans need it, the fans demand it

Huth Hernandez Morgan

Centre mid with King, Amartey and Okazaki

Wingbacks Albrighton and Fuchs

Mahrez and slimani upfront

Have vardy, musa and gray on bench if we need to change things up.

Albrighton and Fuchs can get crosses for slim to feed on. Better than hoofing long balls to vardy. Okazaki plays deeper than usual but will link our midfield with all andahrez. Currently the gap between mid and forwards is too big and we just hoof long balls. 

That seems pretty balanced to me

We need to attempt to play football because we will not win a physical battle with these at the moment.

I can only hope that Andy King has grown a pair of testicles since the last game and actually wants the ball and wants to help the less experienced man alongside him rather than shirking his responsibilities.

I don't have faith in the midfield or the defence winning their battles this weekend unfortunately.

Selfishly, I hope this is an absolute thriller! The Foxes need to come out on top in the worst way...if we start with the side that we have been subbing on lately, with a change or two in midfield, I could get my wish.

This does feel like a relegation battle if we lose, though.

Claudio Ranieri says Nampalys Mendy is making good progress, as the midfielder continues his recovery from an ankle problem. 

Mendy, 24, picked up an injury while on debut for the Foxes in August against Arsenal as has not featured since then. 

But Ranieri has revealed that the Frenchman, alongside left back Ben Chilwell, has trained well all week as the Foxes prepare to take on Sunderland in the Premier League on Saturday. 

“Everybody is available and they have trained very well,” Ranieri told the media ahead of the fixture at the Stadium of Light. “We know it’s an important match for us and for them and we are ready. 

“[Nampalys] Mendy, Ben Chilwell and everybody else have come back to the first team and they have trained all week. They are available. Of course they haven’t played 90 minutes, but they’re okay. 

“I think Mendy is very close because now he’s trained with one week without pain and he’s good. Now he needs to take more time to improve his fitness but he’s good. 

“He’s ready and works with us. He made all the training sessions pain free this week. That is good. He lacks stamina because it’s not possible 90 minutes, but he’s getting better. Then, I’ll decide which players come with me in the first XI and the bench.” 

Goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel remains sidelined with a hand injury, but Ranieri is hoping the Denmark international can make a return this month. 

“Only Kasper [is out],” added Ranieri. “He is working normal in the training session separately, but he’s okay. 

“His return depends on him. I hope before Christmas Day he’s ready – that depends on him and the surgery. The fitness is getting better. 

“Today (Thursday), I shook his hand. He always goes to give me his left hand but today I said no, you give me your right hand and it was good. It was gentle one, not a Marcin Wasilewski one!”

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/2016-17/mendy-features-in-ranieris-fitness-update-3446034.aspx#00pjb8wqyRFc49mv.99

Think their forwards will really suit Huth and Morgan. Hopefully we will find a way  of going 4-5-1.

possibly

Mahrez Amartey King Albrighton Gray

Slimani

with Albrighton, Gray and Mahrez interchangeable in an attacking midfielder/ winger role.

Archived