Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Vardy

JV will turn 33 next season.

He will need replacing anyway in the near future.  When quick players lose that yard, decline is often steep, like Michael Owen.

The question is, is one more year worth £30m plus £5m wages or do we use that money to find the best forward we can?  

If anyone were to give us £30m for Vardy at his age we have to take it IMO.

27 minutes ago, murphy said:

He will need replacing anyway in the near future.  When quick players lose that yard, decline is often steep, like Michael Owen.

The question is, is one more year worth £30m plus £5m wages or do we use that money to find the best forward we can?  

Sorry don't agree. Extend his contract with a further wage increase. Hope he will end his career here unless he goes for a final payday abroad, or finishes his career with a couple of seasons at Sheff Wed when he's about 36.

He is arguably the best striker we have ever had. He was instrumental in helping our Club to it's greatest ever achievement(s) and there still could be more to come.

Legend. Retire his number 9 shirt for life when he does eventually leave. :scarf: 

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, murphy said:

People have been saying that for a couple of seasons now. 

26 minutes ago, murphy said:

He turns 32 next season, he's only just turned 31.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, murphy said:

Dont think you can compare him to Owen. Owen had lost his hunger, he was more interested in his race horses than his football. I dont see that happening with vardy because he's risen to the top level much later in his career. Also see no evidence of his pace dropping off and i think theres more to his game than just pace anyway, doesnt get enough credit for his technical ability imo....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murphy said:

If one more year isn’t worth £30m + £5m in wages then nobody will offer it.

Every other club will think similar, he’s good now but one injury and his pace and career could be over too much of a risk. Whatever any club would offer for him makes no sense to accept as he offers more value to us as an iconic Leicester legend than as a marquee signing elsewhere. Half the fans in the premier league hate him already, even on the back of a good World Cup he would be a risk for anyone else. Nobody is likely to throw £30-40m at him knowing there will be nowhere near that value in the player in a few years time. Big teams might tempt him but will not offer us the money we would want. Smaller teams would need to pay way over the odds for him.

The exception being an MLS team who would benefit from the profile of someone like Vardy as much as his footballing ability.

• Like 3

Why would you want to move to Everton? They don't get in the top 4, ever. So no CL football, they don't win any trophies. They've got a manager who is a complete bell and looks like a chip shop owner. The article makes out like they're Real Madrid or something lollol 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Vardy didn't go through the training of academies like others he won't lose his pace. If anything he is getting quicker and there is evidence to prove it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Captain... said:

If one more year isn’t worth £30m + £5m in wages then nobody will offer it.

Every other club will think similar, he’s good now but one injury and his pace and career could be over too much of a risk. Whatever any club would offer for him makes no sense to accept as he offers more value to us as an iconic Leicester legend than as a marquee signing elsewhere. Half the fans in the premier league hate him already, even on the back of a good World Cup he would be a risk for anyone else. Nobody is likely to throw £30-40m at him knowing there will be nowhere near that value in the player in a few years time. Big teams might tempt him but will not offer us the money we would want. Smaller teams would need to pay way over the odds for him.

The exception being an MLS team who would benefit from the profile of someone like Vardy as much as his footballing ability.

It will be a sad day when Vardy leaves or retires. 

I just thought that getting something now rather than nothing later was better for the club, but maybe you're right.  £30m is only a couple of Musas.  

Yes, I've changed my mind.  I think Vardy, like Mahrez, is irreplaceable and we should get as much out of him as we can.

I used to be indecisive.  I'm not so sure now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

His goals will dry up somewhat as soon as Mahrez leaves (unless we can replace Mahrez's creativity) but he's got at least two more seasons in him and it's highly unlikely we could attract another striker as good. I hope he gets one step closer to his desire for more silverware come Sunday.

28 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

His goals will dry up somewhat as soon as Mahrez leaves (unless we can replace Mahrez's creativity) but he's got at least two more seasons in him and it's highly unlikely we could attract another striker as good. I hope he gets one step closer to his desire for more silverware come Sunday.

I disagree. he will be a consistent 15+ goals a season striker for at least 2 more seasons with or without mahrez. the question is, does his goals translate to enough points? I don't really know but i'm' leaning on the "no" side of the argument.

18 points from 15 goals plus assists (just over 1 point for contribution isn't good enough)

8 minutes ago, the fox said:

I disagree. he will be a consistent 15+ goals a season striker for at least 2 more seasons with or without mahrez. the question is, does his goals translate to enough points? I don't really know but i'm' leaning on the "no" side of the argument.

18 points from 15 goals plus assists (just over 1 point for contribution isn't good enough)

Time to up your game Matty James? Time to pass that ball Demmy Gray? Time to actually play Diabaté?

Also, it's hardly Vardy's fault his goals don't directly coincide with wins. Our defence, perhaps even the midfield, however...

23 hours ago, Ashley said:

Vardy didn't go through the training of academies like others he won't lose his pace. If anything he is getting quicker and there is evidence to prove it.

Eh.... the older you get the slower you get, it's as simple as that. Just because he went through an academy doesn't mean he's immune to aging.

What evidence do you have that he's getting quicker, last comparison I saw that someone did an article on his top speed had slightly gone down, and he was making less runs to conserve energy compared to how we was previously.

• Like 1

Vardy has more to his game then he is given credit for. Pace of course is a big help but he makes excellent runs, takes up excellent positions and his finishing has generally improved. He relies on service but majority of strikers do.

I think there is a chance he'll leave in the summer. Not guaranteed but there's a chance.

the guy is an animal, powererd by port, red bull and nicoteine. people like vardy don't get slower, if he wasn't running from defenders he'd be running from the coppers, it's in his genetics. keep the absolute legend forever then offer him a job on the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, shade said:

the guy is an animal, powererd by port, red bull and nicoteine. people like vardy don't get slower, if he wasn't running from defenders he'd be running from the coppers, it's in his genetics. keep the absolute legend forever then offer him a job on the coaching staff.

Sounds like we should be offering him a job in the Sports Science department.

On 14/03/2018 at 09:22, nwl fox said:

Dont think you can compare him to Owen. Owen had lost his hunger, he was more interested in his race horses than his football. I dont see that happening with vardy because he's risen to the top level much later in his career. Also see no evidence of his pace dropping off and i think theres more to his game than just pace anyway, doesnt get enough credit for his technical ability imo....

Owen was also prone to hamstring injuries from a young age that affected his pace, whereas Vardy’s injury record has been pretty good.  If anything, a more possession based style of play and teams defending deeper against us also means that he will rely more on short bursts to find space in and around the box rather than sprinting half the length of the pitch, so I’d expect to see him adapt rather than decline 

I'd like to think additions to our wings will help him regardless of Mahrez staying or going. For a start a Right back who is going to bomb forward will help. I also think we'll be in the market for a natural number ten who could well strike up a great partnership with him.

On ‎14‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 11:28, Ashley said:

Genuinely can't tell if you're serious.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Eh.... the older you get the slower you get, it's as simple as that. Just because he went through an academy doesn't mean he's immune to aging.

What evidence do you have that he's getting quicker, last comparison I saw that someone did an article on his top speed had slightly gone down, and he was making less runs to conserve energy compared to how we was previously.

That may be true if his game was based simply on speed. However he's an intelligent footballer and he's getting better with experience. Ronaldo is 33 and slowing but his game is magnificent.