Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

Puel In or Out - A simple Poll

Puel In or Out?  

707 members have voted

1. 1. Puel In or Out?

• In
    • Out

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Honestly I ****ing despair at some of our fans. 40% out!!??

Are we just going to keep sacking managers until we get what some of you lot deserve and go down? Yeah the last few games have been shit, but that's football. You go on bad runs and you have some terrible matches, but honestly some of the morons that support this club are putting me off going, far more than the team do. The expectant atmosphere is pathetic and so is the way that you want a manager gone because we won't be in Europe next season. Puel is far from blameless and he's made some weird decisions, but we could easily have been one of the teams that appointed Allardyce, Moyes or Pardew or Mark Hughes if you look at what the last club to sack Puel are doing.

He's trying to change us into a team that is actually capable of keeping the ball instead of treating it like a bomb and if he's going to do it successfully, then he'll buy the right players in the summer. The only signing he's made is Diabate who was about £2m and already looks a bargain, so why wouldn't you give him a full transfer window? 

I'm not saying he's been fantastic, but he's definitely worth backing in the summer and having a full season next year.

Me too. Does my head in. Got some right idiots haven't we. Sod off and go down the Ricoh if you're gonna be like that.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2018 at 17:42, jonthefox said:

Out sorry. We can’t risk what is probably going to be our biggest transfer budget in years to this man.

You may not like Puel's management style but I'm not sure you should be questioning his ability in the transfer market on the evidence of his ony signing to date (Diabate) being widely acclaimed...!

If you are worried about risking our biggest ever transfer budget, I dont think it is Puel that should be your biggest concern based on previous evidence...! 

• Like 1

Its too early to hound him out. Some boring seasons of mid table finishes might do us fans good. The last 10+ years as a Leicester fan has sent my heart all over the place. Im sure my life expectancy has dropped dramatically lol 

• Like 1

I said this when People wanted Ranieri sacked and Shakey sacked...who's the alternative? I just want stability for once and give puel a chance. It may not be working because it doesn't suit the type of players we've got. Simpson, Morgan etc...are not suited to a passing game plan. The summer is the chance for him to add his players that are comfortable with the tactic. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

Just now, fox_favourite said:

I said this when People wanted Ranieri sacked and Shakey sacked...who's the alternative? I just want stability for once and give puel a chance. It may not be working because it doesn't suit the type of players we've got. Simpson, Morgan etc...are not suited to a passing game plan. The summer is the chance for him to add his players that are comfortable with the tactic. 

Well he has the players to play in those positions Amartey and Dragovic for example, yet doesn't choose them, either he is trying to tell the owners something or he is an Ostrich as :pearson: would say.

• Like 2

The question isn't whether we want Puel or not, the question is what do we want/what do the owners want for the team?

The evolution to a passing side was never going to be smooth, it's gone better than it did under Sousa, or for a more recent example De Boer at Crystal Palace, but it is obviously not going as well as we hoped. The early promise has now faded and we look a little lost.

The question is do we want to be a good footballing passing side, keep possession dominate teams and games or not?

If we do then Puel is the best option, with time, a preseason, a transfer window and the support of the players there is no reason why he cannot lead us to successive top 10 finishes and maybe a cup (that's a good thing BTW).

If we/the owners don't want a team that plays passing possession football, then why the bloomin' eff did they hire Puel, and want to go back to the swashbucklin' all out effort energy and attack and maybe repeat previous successes or maybe fail miserably then it is time to go.

We play some nice football now, but it is this type of football that is partly responsible for the decline in atmosphere in modern football. It is technically very good football, but it can be dull to watch and teams are getting better at nullifying the opposition because if they don't they can get battered. I remember going for it against Spurs and losing 6-1 and the 5-2 to Arsenal. It isn't always the best option from a footballing point of view, but it does get fans out of their seats and create noise. So we could be a top 10 side trying to play football like Man City or Arsenal or Spurs, but we could never match them playing their game.

Or we could try and be that all out, high energy side that the PL just wasn't prepared for, bollocks to possession and passing accuracy lets just have some effort and fvcking passion. We could fail miserably but is that a better option than a slow decline like we are seeing with West Ham, Swansea, Stoke, Southampton.

I really don't know what the best option is, we are always a bit of an oddball club and normally I would just enjoy the ride, but it isn't very enjoyable at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The question isn't whether we want Puel or not, the question is what do we want/what do the owners want for the team?

The evolution to a passing side was never going to be smooth, it's gone better than it did under Sousa, or for a more recent example De Boer at Crystal Palace, but it is obviously not going as well as we hoped. The early promise has now faded and we look a little lost.

The question is do we want to be a good footballing passing side, keep possession dominate teams and games or not?

If we do then Puel is the best option, with time, a preseason, a transfer window and the support of the players there is no reason why he cannot lead us to successive top 10 finishes and maybe a cup (that's a good thing BTW).

If we/the owners don't want a team that plays passing possession football, then why the bloomin' eff did they hire Puel, and want to go back to the swashbucklin' all out effort energy and attack and maybe repeat previous successes or maybe fail miserably then it is time to go.

We play some nice football now, but it is this type of football that is partly responsible for the decline in atmosphere in modern football. It is technically very good football, but it can be dull to watch and teams are getting better at nullifying the opposition because if they don't they can get battered. I remember going for it against Spurs and losing 6-1 and the 5-2 to Arsenal. It isn't always the best option from a footballing point of view, but it does get fans out of their seats and create noise. So we could be a top 10 side trying to play football like Man City or Arsenal or Spurs, but we could never match them playing their game.

Or we could try and be that all out, high energy side that the PL just wasn't prepared for, bollocks to possession and passing accuracy lets just have some effort and fvcking passion. We could fail miserably but is that a better option than a slow decline like we are seeing with West Ham, Swansea, Stoke, Southampton.

I really don't know what the best option is, we are always a bit of an oddball club and normally I would just enjoy the ride, but it isn't very enjoyable at the moment.

Just go back to basics and play like we know we can play high tempo release the ball quickly on the counter sideways passing is ponderous.

58 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Just go back to basics and play like we know we can play high tempo release the ball quickly on the counter sideways passing is ponderous.

...and if that doesn't work?

Would you be happy if we had been playing that way all season but with similar results? If Shakespeare was still in charge and we had just lost at home to Newcastle but with only 35% possession and lots of hoofs to Vardy?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Rumours are it’s not the normal bunch, you’d associate that with. 

who is it meant to be then?

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

that had been well and truly found out, Shakespeare tried that and we were in the bottom 3 when he got sacked, the payers don't have the same hunger to do it either

11 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah that’s sort of where I am with it. If he can get the right personnel to implement his style I feel he can be judged accordingly. At the moment he should revert to what the players like Simpson etc can do

too true, so i guess for Simpson on Saturdays performance his place should be the bench if he doesnt like to overlap and such, get Amartey at RB, least he just gets on and doesnt moan like Simpson:ph34r:

On 07/04/2018 at 17:44, RowlattsFox said:

Can’t believe it’s even a discussion and a clear example of how shit modern football has become. We will get no one good if we keep sacking managers. 

We've got no one good now anyway. 

5 hours ago, Wookie said:

If we sack him we're kicking the can down the road, we still have a squad that's at a crossroads in terms of playing style. 8 of the match day 18 on Saturday were 30 or over so over the next two seasons we're going to need to sign long term replacements. 

These are the signings he made at Lille, barely spent anything but recruited some gems in Michel Bastos, Obraniak, Abidal and Liechtensteiner

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/claude-puel/spielertransfers/trainer/1240/station_id/4654/plus/1

Signings at Lyon including Pjanic and Lloris

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/claude-puel/spielertransfers/trainer/1240/plus/1?station_id=12787

Signings at Nice, not household names particularly but Nice went through a stadium move so he had peanuts to spend and signed players that are still playing for Nice now. Seri was linked strongly with Barca in the summer.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/claude-puel/spielertransfers/trainer/1240/plus/1?station_id=56182

Across his career he's made very shrewd signings and he's a long term manager - the club is in safe hands at the minute and whilst it might be a bit boring at home we've got to remember that at least now we have a certain style which we haven't had since 15/16 and it's going to take time to improve it.

Some very encouraging signings there. Plenty of players on the cheap who went on to do very well for themselves. 

18 minutes ago, Donut said:

At some point, a manager whether that be Puel, or someone else, will have to by default bin off the title winners.

Do the people who want Puel to be sacked want to bring in someone that can maybe go to a pragmatic style that might suit some of the title winners for just a little bit longer, but all the while knowing the likes of Simpson, Okazaki, Morgan, Fuchs are all on borrowed time. And then have to build "the future" around this style by signing players who want to come in and play direct, one dimensional football to maintain continuity.

Or

Do you allow Puel the time to change the squad and the philosophy gradually, to build something more sustainable for longer?

If you were to bin off Puel now, any new manager is going to have to work with the players that, after the inevitable upturn in performances, will not be able to lift themselves any further. They will once again be criticised by the fans, and will need to be moved on.

No doubt, maybe someone could come in, and for 4 maybe 5 games, everyone ups their effort level and we think weve found "the answer".

No we haven't. we've just squeezed a little more juice out of failing players again. We try and recharge an old battery that's got no life left in it and we get less and less energy each time.

Given that Puel has already had time to work with the players for a few months and evaluate them, is it no wiser that HE is given the summer to make the necessary changes to the squad, bit by bit, rather than bring a new man in who would have one of the biggest summers of his managerial career in needing quite a few players in key positions to make this team work again.

If its a case of looking for another manager, no doubt you will stress the virtues of giving the new manager time to change things around. If by some stroke of genius Alex Ferguson popped up at Leicester and started very slowly....would you call for his head?

If the answer is no, then why are you not extending this virtue to Puel who is in exactly the same position as whoever the new manager would be.

Coming on here and screaming "SACK PUEL" is a waste of your energy. Develop the debate further.

If you want to have a serious, rational debate about the manager, come on here and say who you want to come in who prefers a more direct style of play that has made it work successfully, what kind of vision you want him to have for the next 4 to 5 years, what kind of player profile is needed here that he will bring that Puel WONT, and why its more suitable to give this man time rather than Puel.

:appl:Excellent post. The best thing I can remember reading by you.

It doesn't happen often on here, but I think you've convinced me to change my mind. I was sort of on the fence, but leaning towards sack him. Now, I think I would be disappointed to see him go before he's had the summer to recruit players.

I'm still very disappointed with our approach to home games. The football is boring me to the point where I am struggling to pay attention to it. However, Puel has only been able to bring in one player so far, and maybe with more on board who are suited to his style, and believe in him, it will click.

We are in the fortunate position of having nothing to lose by sticking by the manager for once, and it would be good to have a little stability. I'll say let Puel have the transfer window to shape the squad, and re-evaluate when the new players have had some time to settle in.

• Like 1

Puel is trying to change our whole philosophy and this process takes time.

Think back to the 2012/13 season when Pearson was trying to do the same thing. There were encouraging signs but there was also times where we looked hopeless. 

The majority of people on here wanted Pearson gone (especially after Barnsley away) but thankfully, the owners kept faith with him and he kick started the adventure of the past 5 years. 

Puel deserves at least half of next season to get the team playing how he wants to play. The Newcastle game was painful to watch but let's not forget, this isn't his squad and we were up against a manager that is famous for his defensive resilience. 

Although the best reason to keep him is that two clubs of similar stature and pulling power to us went looking for a new manager recently and they came up with Mark Hughes and Paul fcuking Lambert. I very much doubt that we'd be able to get anyone better than that with our reputation for sacking managers. 

• Like 2

40% want him out, that's quite indicative of the feeling around the club at the moment. Feels a long time ago that we had those 4 wins in a row including that fantastic 4-1 away at Southampton. So weird because in those games we looked like a club that wasn't far away from really pushing on, but instead we have regressed backwards.

Puel needs to find a way to fire us up. Just tell the players to go hell for leather in the first 10 minutes against Burnley, and especially in home games. Do a Conte and go ballistic on the touch line or something. Just do something otherwise I feel he is a dead man walking. The stories about players getting the hump with him sound similar to what's happening with the fans. We are basically seeing the Southampton situation repeating itself.

Having a transition period while we change our style is understandable to everyone but performances are getting worse. I think back during the title winning season when we lost 2-5 to Arsenal at home and got battered. Yet despite that, I was still quite positive about what I saw. We took the game to Arsenal, took the lead and hit the post and though being way too open and letting them have a field day, still looked good going forward. One of those games where the attitude was right, but the approach was wrong. We lost the game at the weekend due to some poor defensive errors, but say the result was the same but we had put tons of shot on target and just not put the ball away, we'd be upset but still happy with the progress. But the Simpsons video Kitchandro posted is a better reflection of how we play sadly!

• Like 2

On 07/04/2018 at 20:52, Donut said:

People are so hard wired and honestly, ignorant, they just arent willing to give anyone time to get their ideas over. Well, unless they play "the Leicester way" which has now become synonymous with passing the ball as little as is humanly possible, hoofing it from every area on the field in the hope one fast striker can score every single goal we score as a team, and making sure the team features at least 2 or 3 headless chickens at all times that will show PASSHHHUUNNN that they can shout at and relate to at all times because thats what football is to them.

Show them some little intricate movements, patient football, tactical flexibility etc, and that doesnt turn them on. You cant FVCKIN SHOUT at stuff like that, you cant GET MAD FVCK OFF REF FVCK OFF OPPONENTS at that. Show them an interview where a manager pauses for a moment and gives a considered response, that doesnt turn anyone on either. Fvcking belittle the journalist. Give a mad response. Show your MAD IT MAKES ME PROUD. BRIM WITH VISIBLE PASHUNNNNNN LIKE I DO.

The bloke has never had a chance from the start here. Look how fast people turned on Ranieri. Way before the bad spell in January. Wed got people saying Ranieri out after Hull away!

Puel has brought a vision with him, there is evidence it has worked. Consistently? not yet. Over 90 mins? in some games, not as many as we would like.

However, if we bin him off, ask yourself this: Who do you want to come in thats going to:

a) Satisfy your lofty ambition of making talentless, devoid of skill and crude football entertaining every week and successful enough it will beat teams regularly enough to satisfy your goals for where Leicester should finish. And for many that seems like breaking the top 6 with ease

b) Make players who are either genuinely not that good, or 2 years older than when they had the absolute best season of their life, a freak never likely to be repeated and not their typical level of performance, they are now older and worse than that.....who do you think is going to take them over and make them better as players?

c) Magically make Mahrez stay and Kante come back so we can line up with the nucleus of the team from the title winning season who played the style you yearn for

d) Guarantee that an away team wont come here and actually god forbid play quite well because they have their own agendas in the league and need points badly themselves?

But they cant give you a name. All they can give you is what they give you at a match, a confused cocophony of anger thats not got any focus to it other than its not as good as it was when we won the league. Well no shit, it never will be either because winning the league was bonkers. Theyll tell you theyre bored, then point to all the games weve lost as evidence of why theyre right to be bored and you must also be bored. Completely ignoring that ive watched them batter Southampton away 4-1, ive watched them batter West Brom away 4-1, ive watched outplay Chelsea at the bridge, and beat Spurs at home too. Theyll pine constantly for the good old days of Pearson Walsh and Shakespeare like theyre the only people of any signficance in the clubs entire history.

Puel has a summer to come to mould a team more into his style. To bring staff if he wants them too. To ship out players if they cant be bothered to listen to him or carry out what he wants. The owners are making a serious commitment to the future with the training ground, with the expansion plans, and have shown absolutely no panic or intention to change the direction we are going in.

We are on course for our second highest league finish ever. Beat Burnley away which is not unthinkable by any means, we are still well in the hunt for 7th.

So lets stop using every single defeat as an excuse to put up these pathetic polls, and actually just accept that yes, you can look bad on a given day. Football wont always entertain you, its not a cinema ticket. That getting new ideas over is a gradual process that takes time, and that we are actually a decent football team and lets back the manager and just stop the doom mongering that wouldnt have looked out of place when we were losing to teams like Colchester.

This is an excellent and well put together post. I'm waiting to the end of the season before I come to any more positive conculsion. I do have my concerns though. At present I would say we're actually getting worse with each performance. As you say Puel has a vision and that is a good thing but it can soon become the opposite if that vision merely becomes blinkered so much that you can't see any other way when the one you believe in starts to fail and that is what I fear it is happening at the moment.

To put things into perspective we probably have the most talented squad of players we've had since the mid 1970s. Many are internationals, many have a lot of experience. They are quite capable of playing to a decent standard. it also a squad with the highest ever level of monetary investment we've ever seen. A good manager manages their resources to the best of their ability making the best use of the resources they have.

At the moment he simply isn't doing this. He talks about tempo but fails to deliver it and we play better when we have it. Had the Newcastle match been a one-off  or even one among say two or three then fair enough but there is a trend starting to develop of us not playing very well and being rather dull to watch quite a lot of the time. Yes we have picked up some results but we've been fortunate to do so in some cases.

I'm personally prepared to give him time but my belief in what he may achieve is rapidly diminishing. I'm starting to doubt that he's a man who can see past his own faults with humitilty and readjust his methods to best suit the players he has at his disposal.

What concerns me  quite a bit is should we start badly next season and fall into a relegation struggle I do not believe you can play your way out solely with very very slow sideways possession resulting in hardly any chances being created. You need to be able to mix it up a bit, we have the players to do this but Puel doesn't seem to want to use them that way.