Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The future does indeed look bright! We just have to avoid "Southampton syndrome" who became a team that were synonymous for developing young talent, importing talent that could go onto bigger things and even bringing in managers with potential, but won squat. Southampton have had at one point or another Bale, Van Dijk, Mane, Lallana, Clyne, Lovren, Walcott, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Pelle and Shaw playing for them. They were also coached by Koeman and Pochetino who did well with them, but now they are at best a bottom half of the league team. And what do they have to show for it? Just one cup final when their manager was... Claude Puel!

We've already lost Kante and Mahrez (Drinkwater too, but that was a good move for us and not Chelsea) and as you say probably will lose Maguire too. However, I think that our owners aren't greedy like Southampton's and will fight to keep all of our best players. Mahrez did go eventually but they held onto him another two years which was pretty good going.

I think that's why it's important to have a long term view on things. I personally doubt we will win anything this season (though I'd love to be surprised of course!) but with so many young players then as long as they develop then I don't think a midtable Martin O'Neil era style finish is bad at all. Of course that can't be used as an excuse forever - at some point the players we've invested in should be able to help us punch through into the European spots and / or win a trophy. But Chilwell is the prime example of why perseverance in young players can pay off. The first thing Puel did when he came in was to start him and Gray and if anyone then told you that 12 months after that game that Chilwell would be an England left-back, people would ask you for a toke on whatever you were smoking. But here we are and he's been probably our best player this season AND should still get even better. I doubt all of our young players will pay off, but you'd think out of current batch at least one of the others will step up to the Maguire level - IE a fully fledged first choice international player who could start for a top 4 team. And when that happens then we will be a threat.

Really good post (as always) and again totally agree 100%

I am of the opinion that we wont end up like Southampton as we dont NEED to sell to appease our owners. I personally think they are in for the long haul, and damn we have been lucky with them. (With regards to Southampton, unless something drastic happens they will be lucky to stay up this year.) 

Im not going to say Puel is our god and saviour and i have had doubts about certain lineups / subs etc. But then again i dont think there is any fan base that would 100% agree and isnt split on the team sheet when it comes out, or when the subs made either are considered too soon too late. Therefore to sit mid table like MoN times is not a bad thing in my eyes. (for a year or 2)

I would like to go into a TLDR v your post but the wine is kicking in and i dont want to be a bore. 

TLDR;- agree with everything you typed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I am of the opinion that we wont end up like Southampton as we dont NEED to sell to appease our owners. I personally think they are in for the long haul, and damn we have been lucky with them. (With regards to Southampton, unless something drastic happens they will be lucky to stay up this year.) 

Im not going to say Puel is our god and saviour and i have had doubts about certain lineups / subs etc. But then again i dont think there is any fan base that would 100% agree and isnt split on the team sheet when it comes out, or when the subs made either are considered too soon too late. Therefore to sit mid table like MoN times is not a bad thing in my eyes. (for a year or 2)

I would like to go into a TLDR v your post but the wine is kicking in and i dont want to be a bore. 

Will mid table keep our young guns happy is the big question.Personally I think NO

14 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Nah, if you saw the game you know that he was their best man alongside D. Silva. Delivered quality crosses, passes, destroyed their left fullback and his goal was a thing of beauty. His understanding with Foden and De Bruyne is great.

He'll need this whole season to tune in but you frankly can't speak of downgrade. Unless you're as biased as FIF which is certainly not the case.

Big loss for us but we now have Maddison.

You must be wearing light blue tinted glasses. 

The leftback was total shit and had no help yet still Mahrez kept wasting so many chances to get the ball to a world class attacker. 

It's amazing how it'll take Mahrez a whole season to tune in to a team like Man City yet it took him five minutes to tune out for a whole season at the REAL CITY.

Anyway he's the past now we have young talent that'll shine longer and brighter.

6 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

(With regards to Southampton, unless something drastic happens they will be lucky to stay up this year.) 

They might just be that lucky, in that there will probably be three worse teams in the league this year...  But it's probably going to be close - and they might need a great escape of their own, if they can find one...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Im not going to say Puel is our god and saviour and i have had doubts about certain lineups / subs etc. But then again i dont think there is any fan base that would 100% agree and isnt split on the team sheet when it comes out, or when the subs made either are considered too soon too late. Therefore to sit mid table like MoN times is not a bad thing in my eyes. (for a year or 2)

In that statement lies the whole truth of football, from the terraces .and it amazes me when fans/posters use selection as a stick to beat...any manager.

The mid table part,really depends on individual perspective..again.  Where is mid table 12-8..14-7th.

From my point,this season if we slipped to EOS 12th,with top performances and a future seems to be panning out..ok

If it's a poor 12th, every game survival after Xmas,and stagnant developement....Then another atmosphere rightly would prevail,unless

We are hit by an atrocious injury list...If we have developed in our play and presentation,I would take 12-10, for this and next season.

Though all fans. Happy-clappers to the dissenters and Grumpies,have the right to see ambition,and post opinions that 8-6 is their

Expectation after this season....I don't believe today,the owners expect top 4 of even top 6,but expect to see the team showing the 

Grounds for that potential is being layed.I

Tonight's game,is about performance,Puel any manager is on to an hiding,in such games with this pairings traditions!!!

All our hopes in our youngsters,just for this game could implode...and the known negative posters awaiting to get out the proverbial stick.

We could play brilliantly,and still get pinged..

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Im not going to say Puel is our god and saviour and i have had doubts about certain lineups / subs etc. But then again i dont think there is any fan base that would 100% agree and isnt split on the team sheet when it comes out, or when the subs made either are considered too soon too late. Therefore to sit mid table like MoN times is not a bad thing in my eyes. (for a year or 2)

In that statement lies the whole truth of football, from the terraces .and it amazes me when fans/posters use selection as a stick to beat...any manager.

The mid table part,really depends on individual perspective..again.  Where is mid table 12-8..14-7th.

From my point,this season if we slipped to EOS 12th,with top performances and a future seems to be panning out..ok

If it's a poor 12th, every game survival after Xmas,and stagnant developement....Then another atmosphere rightly would prevail,unless

We are hit by an atrocious injury list...If we have developed in our play and presentation,I would take 12-10, for this and next season.

Though all fans. Happy-clappers to the dissenters and Grumpies,have the right to see ambition,and post opinions that 8-6 is their

Expectation after this season....I don't believe today,the owners expect top 4 of even top 6,but expect to see the team showing the 

Grounds for that potential is being layed.I

Tonight's game,is about performance,Puel any manager is on to an hiding,in such games with this pairings traditions!!!

All our hopes in our youngsters,just for this game could implode...and the known negative posters awaiting to get out the proverbial stick.

We could play brilliantly,and still get pinged..

Eloquently put :D

I am really looking forward to tonight's game, regardless of the result, for me its all about performance. 

I love LCFC and want us to win every game, i bet on each game and regardless of who we are playing i bet on us to win. But as optimistic as i am, i'm also a realist and when playing the top six i don't expect us to come away with many points. Therefore if we lose (which we do against these teams more often than not) as long as we play well i'm not too disappointed and will always try to see the positive from the game. Happy clapper? 

Mid table for me is 9th-12th and if we can finish somewhere thereabouts and have shown progress through the course of the season, i will be happy. I understand this is not acceptable for some fans and thats totally ok. Like you say 'its an individual perspective' 

• Like 2

Surely Jokanovic and Fulham won't escape criticism much longer?

They've gotten a right rimming for supposedly playing good football and trying to spend their way to staying up but they're looking pretty dog muck at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

They've gotten a right rimming for supposedly playing good football and trying to spend their way to staying up but they're looking pretty dog muck at the moment.

In such situations,no matter how a team has been built...I use our Great-escape season,as a measure....and spirit level!!!

Then through stages of the season,right up to the last few games....which of the bottom 4,have the spirit and quality to pull themselves up.

Oct. Is far too early to predict bottom 3.

Beginning of December through to new year,shows the first twists n turns ( or not)...Jan-Feb,teams can have a false dawn..

Then the old-easter-period can see like Leicester,1-2 teams find a new spring of form,or take a rotten dive....I

Beforehand I never have preferences,or favourites...the 38 game league settles all arguments.I have no Schadensfreude" towards any

club...If city can't compete for the best of the rest,I will be just as content to see Bournemouth/Everton/Watford/Wolves upset the top 6!!I

If they like Burnley earn it!!!

5 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

A big blow for West Ham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45939474

Apparently their fans are concerned that Marko Arnautovic is struggling with both for fitness and form currently.

Hopefully gives us a decent chance of a result on Saturday, although never one to wish injury on players as that looks horrid.

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

They aren't, heard plenty on the radio recently. Apparently he could be two games from the sack.

Big difference between us and Southampton is the quality of backer. 

Iirc, Southamptons owner died and his daughter isn't vaguely as interested. She wanted to sell up and then changed her mind. Even when the old boy was alive, he was neither as affluent or as ambitious as Vichai. 

They're not in our sphere really when it comes to potential. 

Not a knee-jerk comment, but thought that was Arsenal of 15 years ago today.

Splendid to watch, must admit.

If their owners are willing to spend big amount of £k sensibly, think they'll be a strong force under Emery.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Not a knee-jerk comment, but thought that was Arsenal of 15 years ago today.

Splendid to watch, must admit.

If their owners are willing to spend big amount of £k sensibly, think they'll be a strong force under Emery.

Could’ve conceivably found themselves 2 or 3 goals down before they started playing. Their goals were superb though