Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

51 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

N’didi’s strengths are ball recovery, his weaknesses short range passing and generally attacking play, Mendy’s strengths are taking up defensive positions and cutting out passing lanes. Neither of them are capable of providing adequate support for the attack, neither are particularly good at passing and both are doing effectively the same job, neither of them are particularly clever with their mobility either, so we could really do with playing Iborra or Silva, someone who is a bit more attack minded. 

Amartey has no defensive awareness, where Simpson used to push defenders out wide and force them to either put a hopeful ball in or force the attacker back, Amartey just allows player past him, again his passing isn’t the best, he isn’t particularly good on the ball and his timing is poor going into challenges, hence Bernard having acres off greenery to play with for their first goal. 

Yesterday Maddison started as a left midfielder, he is completely ineffective in that position, he isn’t quick or dynamic enough for a left midfielder, he is much better receiving the ball on the back foot and operating in tight spaces. So it’s comletely pointless having him stuck out on the wing. 

Our strength creating space for Vardy to exploit behind the back for, and utalising width to stretch teams, which on occasion Ricardo did, but not often enough because our build up play is far too slow. Puel is effectively asking a cow to run the grand national. 

In a 4-2-3 formation the strengths that ndidi and mendy have (as listed by you) seem pretty perfect to me. 

Simpson used to have those capabilities but does he still? Amartey’s passing is much better than DS. Last couple of games is a big improvement on before. Puel has clearly been working on his confidence.  Maddison on the left (theoretically) is agreed by me - I didn’t question that in your original post because I didn’t see it

stretching teams wide would be achieved with better balance ( no Kelechi) and both full backs being allowed to overlap ( in turn) rather than the gung ho approach at Bournemouth leaving the holding midfielders and centre halves hopelessly exposed. 

• Like 1

Didn't think I would be defending Puel as would have got rid over the summer, but you can see he is moving us in a different direction, to being more of a footballing possession based team, and for our longer term future this has to be a good thing, as long as we learn to mix it up a bit and don't lose the ability to hit on the counter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Maybe not, but at least he will see the problem just as you quite correctly have. The problem is Puel doesn't and keeps repeating the same mistakes.

Even with my drunken, inflated ego I think he sees the problem. He could have definitely dealt with it better - but after Evans didn't initially cut it and Richardo didn't cut it defensively his options became limited.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I feel for him really. He can't really win unless we're absolutely pulling up trees. Win 3 in a row, lose a tight game in unfortunate circumstances where one player lost us the game and now everyone is on his back again. 

Bingo. Slowly coming around to the thought that he will never work here sadly. Let’s all jump on the Rudkin manager merry-go-Round again 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Is Antonio Conte still available? 

Cue "he's crap " or "he wouldn't come here".

But he wouldn't come here. You're talking about a manager who won the league two years ago and has managed Juventus to three league titles. Only way he's coming here is if we're bought by billionaires and challenge the league title season after season.

Just now, Fox92 said:

But he wouldn't come here. You're talking about a manager who won the league two years ago and has managed Juventus to three league titles. Only way he's coming here is if we're bought by billionaires and challenge the league title season after season.

We have been bought by billionaires?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

no did i say that?, just the fact you cant go out spending fudge ton of money because of FFP and that, plus the fact we've done it in a sort and it kind of blew up in our faces, we should spend but we need to bring the right sort of players in and not just spend for spendings sake

of coruse you can say what you like, but im sure people woud rather see a team playing half decent football and winning etc, rather than lovely free flowing football etc and losing

the bigger picture with what Puel is doing is we really only had one string to our bow the last few seasons in mainly being a counter attack side ala rob and rush, and that itsnt always going to work, so hes trying to add something else to our game in being a bit more possessions based, 

all i say from your not accepting mediocrity thing then is.......good luck to the next manager and the one after that as they wont cut it then unless we are top 6 playing free flowing winning football, which isnt going to happen:ph34r: :rolleyes:

What I’m saying... is I honestly believe (maybe blindly) that we could be doing a lot better, with this squad, and we aren’t. Our owners are ambitious and said it time and time again about getting into Europe yet you're ok to just accept mid table?

2 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

What I’m saying... is I honestly believe (maybe blindly) that we could be doing a lot better, with this squad, and we aren’t. Our owners are ambitious and said it time and time again about getting into Europe yet you're ok to just accept mid table?

The owners can say what they like but they haven’t invested enough money for them to expect top 6. We average a net spend of about £30m the past 3 seasons. The top 6 spend £70m + on a single player. 

People massively overrate our team on this forum. 

I’m not sure why people think we can finish higher than 7th. Bar 15/16 and this season, we’ve always struggled at the start of the season (being 15th or lower). 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Should have bought Dragovic, end of. The run of clean sheets at the start of this calendar year is the only time we've looked solid under Puel and that was with Maguire and Draogvic.

He wouldn't have signed for Puel anyway if the rumours were to be beleived and the rumours made sense - they were hard to argue with the reasons.

Bottom line is Puel preferred Wes over Dragovic for some reason and still seems to prefer Wes now.

As i've said many times it's very much "in Wes, Puel trusts", he's about the only one though and it seems it's getting/got rather tedious even for the Puel/Wes apologists.

Edited by Matt

On 07/10/2018 at 13:49, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Brendan Rodgers maybe

Bit of a conundrum that. I don't mind Puel at all but do feel Rodgers would be an upgrade. If there's a chance someone better could go elsewhere, do you sack your man for fear of missing out?

On 07/10/2018 at 13:49, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Brendan Rodgers maybe

3 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

I don't mind Puel at all but do feel Rodgers would be an upgrade ...

Sorry, I seem to have stumbled on to the Joke thread by mistake ...   :)

• Like 1

On 07/10/2018 at 10:31, Fox92 said:

Should have bought Dragovic, end of. The run of clean sheets at the start of this calendar year is the only time we've looked solid under Puel and that was with Maguire and Draogvic.

Two of those games were against Fleetwood, how we didn't concede against them in either game god only knows. One game against Saints they missed to chances that were harder to miss than they were to score. We then went on to concede 8 in 3 games. We looked solid at Chelsea, but they couldn't pass to the same shirt on the day and another was against Watford, again they missed a couple of sitters. He looked alright, but christ people don't half look at his games through rose tinted specs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Two of those games were against Fleetwood, how we didn't concede against them in either game god only knows. One game against Saints they missed to chances that were harder to miss than they were to score. We then went on to concede 8 in 3 games. We looked solid at Chelsea, but they couldn't pass to the same shirt on the day and another was against Watford, again they missed a couple of sitters. He looked alright, but christ people don't half look at his games through rose tinted specs.

As well if he was available for 20 million and is as good as some posters believe, Why wasn't he snapped up by another club?

On 07/10/2018 at 14:21, Happy Fox said:

Puel is okay, premier league top half finish, guaranteed, but as far as pushing for Europe 50:50, if the owners can find someone better and more competent than by all means get rid.

What sort of sweeping statement is this? 

Youre saying we are guaranteed top half? 

On 07/10/2018 at 14:28, Fox92 said:

Weird comment. WE won the title 3 years ago and are also owned by billionaires with strong ambitions. By your own criteria, looks like the perfect match.