Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Youri Tielemans

42 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

I would prefer not to spend £20m on another nmidfielder, but have that towards a striker. We have sufficient midfielders, particularly as Dewsbury-Hall may be contending for a place next season.

Bit optimistic that considering he's not even had a loan out to the lower leagues yet

3 hours ago, Silva Fox said:

Sounds like one to avoid to me. We have enough players already with unfulfilled potential and need some who can hit the ground running.

Anyone who can hit the ground running won't to us. We need to stop dreaming and realise that we have to take chances to improve our team.

Unfortunately players who can definitely hit the ground running will go to the likes of Everton and West Ham over us.

• Like 1

He was rated a future world class player in his teens and still only 21.

What I would say though is be wary of big clubs selling what a lot of people perceive to be their best young players. I remember when we were first linked with Iheanacho and I couldn't believe it. At 17 he won the Golden Ball in the U17 World Cup and while he was at Man City he was the most prolific striker in PL history by the metric of goals per minute. Kelachi's pedigree was outstanding and still only 21 but after watching him for 18 months it looks like Man City knew what they were doing all along and sold us a pup. 

Young perceived world class players in the making sound great for £20m but when they come from more prestigious clubs than ours you smell a rat. A golden goose is never for sale. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

What I would say though is be wary of big clubs selling what a lot of people perceive to be their best young players. I remember when we were first linked with Iheanacho and I couldn't believe it. At 17 he won the Golden Ball in the U17 World Cup and while he was at Man City he was the most prolific striker in PL history by the metric of goals per minute. Kelachi's pedigree was outstanding and still only 21 but after watching him for 18 months it looks like Man City knew what they were doing all along and sold us a pup. 

Young perceived world class players in the making sound great for £20m but when they come from more prestigious clubs than ours you smell a rat. A golden goose is never for sale. 

1. Monaco is not Manchester City.

2. He started for Belgium in the World Cup.  Comparing Tielmans to Iheanacho is kinda loopy.

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

1. Monaco is not Manchester City.

2. He started for Belgium in the World Cup.  Comparing Tielmans to Iheanacho is kinda loopy.

I've heard of Tielemans for years as has been touted as a future worldie but I can't judge him as a player. 

All I'm saying is when something looks too good to be true it probably is. Iheanacho had a similar standing in the game as Tielemans so the comparison is fair. If we were getting Tielemans from Anderlecht I'd be more excited as top class players in Belgium don't stay there very long but if he's coming from Monaco then alarm bells ring for me. Monaco don't have to fight off the likes of Leicester so any sale they do to us is with their blessing, just like when they sold us Ghezzal. If we had tried to buy Mbappe a few seasons a go we've have been told where to go. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I've heard of Tielemans for years as has been touted as a future worldie but I can't judge him as a player. 

All I'm saying is when something looks too good to be true it probably is. Iheanacho had a similar standing in the game as Tielemans so the comparison is fair. If we were getting Tielemans from Anderlecht I'd be more excited as top class players in Belgium don't stay there very long but if he's coming from Monaco then alarm bells ring for me. Monaco don't have to fight off the likes of Leicester so any sale they do to us is with their blessing, just like when they sold us Ghezzal. If we had tried to buy Mbappe a few seasons a go we've have been told where to go. 

It's not really a great comparison though as any strikers goal ratio would be massively inflated playing in that Man City side. He did very well at Anderlecht and Monaco have been awful this season and could well get relegated (unless Jardim stops the rot) The Belgium national side seem to rate him and they have some world class midfielders. 20m in the current market for a 21 year old Belgian national team midfielder is about as low risk as you can get, there's no such thing as no risk as we know from Nacho. If he had one good season with a team like us he could easily treble or quadruple in value. 

It's still extremely unlikely that this is going to happen, let's be real, but if it did it would be a very exciting signing.

If we do have interest why have we again waited so far into the window to make a move though..... Thought we would have learned our lesson with Silva

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

I would prefer not to spend £20m on another nmidfielder, but have that towards a striker. We have sufficient midfielders, particularly as Dewsbury-Hall may be contending for a place next season.

He may well be but Tielemans would be excellent competition, with a few years experience in top competitions and an international starter in the World Cup for Belgium. And he’s young, so however much we spend on him we should be able to profit a few years later. £20m could be a bargain. 

40 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Yeah, Kevin De Bruyne and mo salah turned out terrible once Chelsea manage to pawn them off to smaller clubs.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Anyone who can hit the ground running won't to us. We need to stop dreaming and realise that we have to take chances to improve our team.

Unfortunately players who can definitely hit the ground running will go to the likes of Everton and West Ham over us.

Yeh and their transfer policies have turned out great...

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

We spent £18m in the summer (the rest coming from player sales), we've spent no money in January and we're clearing decks player wise. Puel has also stated we can't compete with those spending big money. The Mercury haven't got a clue and all the evidence points to us having to mostly sell to buy, anyone expecting a massive player budget are kidding themselves. 

Did I say I think we have a massive budget? No maybe you should read peoples posts I just said that I don’t think the club are in as bad of a situation as people are making out especially when we are still 22nd richest club

16 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Yeh and their transfer policies have turned out great...

Actually Felipe Anderson is a very good example of the London factor in spite of our initial interest...and yes, he has turned out great. Exactly what City needed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerard said:

And yet they insisted on a £50 million buy back clause 

36 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Actually Felipe Anderson is a very good example of the London factor in spite of our initial interest...and yes, he has turned out great. Exactly what City needed. 

One player. Most of their other signings, along with Everton have been a ridiculous waste of money, similar to us with the likes of slimani, silva and Musa (although we got our money back for Musa). Just because a player costs alot doesn't mean they are good. The original poster that commented previous, said that ready made players would join Everton and West Ham over us. Ready made top quality players (with the exception of 1 or 2) join the top 6 clubs and not the likes of us, West Ham or Everton. Even Anderson was a huge risk for the price. Was decent in Italy but he could quite easily have been turd in the prem. Everton and West Ham may well spend hundreds of millions on new signings but we won't and nor do i want us to. I'd much rather we developed youth like we are doing and add 1 or 2 top signings each year like we did with Ricardo and Maddison. Again, both of these could have been a risk but Madders is young and English so we were never likely to lose with him and Ricardo has turned out to be an excellent signing. Whilst the football isnt great to watch right now and the jury is out on whether Puel is the right man long term, i fully believe the way are going as a club is the right way. Everton and West Ham have spent a fortune on mew signings and are they any better off than us right now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

And yet they insisted on a £50 million buy back clause 

£37.5m it was and only £50m if we qualified for the Champions League. 

Considering the chances of us qualifying for the Champions League was pretty remote it means we took all the risk with the Iheanacho transfer, If he was a huge success we were limited to a £12.5m profit on him and if he wasn't then we were lumbered with him. I was happy with the Iheanacho business as I want my club to sign some of the world's best young talent and that was Iheanacho's profile. In hindsight though beware of Greeks baring gifts (or in this case Spaniards).

I think it seems pretty obvious now that he wasn't rated at Man City despite his stats but the buy back was just insurance.

• Like 1