Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue ROI

Leicester 2-1 Burnley Post Match thread

3 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

Statistics = above.

Facts = Kasper let in 1 goal. Heaton let in 2 goals. Kasper - one tip over from a free kick. Heaton - one tip and into the net from a free kick.

Statistics = Burnley outplayed us with 62% possession, had 4 more shots, and 6 more corners.

Facts = Burnley 1 Leicester City 2.

Yet again, it shows statistics mean very little and you can make them read exactly what you want them too.

I said replace him for a few games with Ward not Heaton.

The stats show how poor his distribution was and how it can’t be blamed on the wind.

We do have a guy that cost 12m not some scrub waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

this will become the new issue next season with var. players will cut across defenders, knowing that there wil be contact and that VAR will show it with a penalty ensuing after review. not sure how you work out what’s the defenders fault and what’s bought by the attacker. defenders will have to just stop if they think they could be cut across ..... unstisfactory and perhaps an area where the instinct of the referee is better than the video evidence ......

That's the nub of it. Our own, our very own, Jamie R Vardy does something very similar. Make no mistake about it, it's a tactic... but how on earth do you know (or, as said, will VAR know) whether it's done intentionally to initiate contact and claim the penalty? 

Taylor cut across Ndidi as Ndidi was trying to get to him, there was contact and Taylor went down. You've seen them given and I personally wouldn't have complained (well, I would but you know what I mean)  if the ref pointed to the spot. I think Ndidi's look back to the ref was not one of guilt but one of a player that knows such things are given. I don't think there was intent to bring Taylor down and I equally don't know if Taylor was looking for it... but the ref had a good view, he had a think and waved it away. I only know that I wasn't the only one that breathed a sigh of relief and that it's the ref's call that is the only one that counts. 

Maybe the ref took into account the conditions, that Ndidi was full throttle trying to get to Taylor, that it was a physical game... I dunno, but I reckon it was definitely one that went our way when it could have gone the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

Statistics = above.

Facts = Kasper let in 1 goal. Heaton let in 2 goals. Kasper - one tip over from a free kick. Heaton - one tip and into the net from a free kick.

Statistics = Burnley outplayed us with 62% possession, had 4 more shots, and 6 more corners.

Facts = Burnley 1 Leicester City 2.

Yet again, it shows statistics mean very little and you can make them read exactly what you want them too.

It is a fact that Burnley had 62% possession, but there's no value attached to that and nobody with any sense would suggest so. Statistics, when in their rawest form, merely describe rather than evaluate. Anybody who understands statistics would not say that "Burnley outplayed us", just that they had more possession. Conflating the two would mean you fall into the fact-value distinction.

None of that mean that statistics are useless.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

this will become the new issue next season with var. players will cut across defenders, knowing that there wil be contact and that VAR will show it with a penalty ensuing after review. not sure how you work out what’s the defenders fault and what’s bought by the attacker. defenders will have to just stop if they think they could be cut across ..... unstisfactory and perhaps an area where the instinct of the referee is better than the video evidence ......

Nothing new though is it, Vardy has been doing it for years and it's how Maddison won his free kick yesterday. Defenders have to be switched on to it

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

This is what we’ve been missing. Great to see

They love him already. So do the fans. Great atmosphere in our end yesterday. Shit journey back to Leicester but still on a high so we weren't bothered.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hanan96 said:

Like previous world cup group stages sudden increase of penalty you mean? 

Sort of yes ..... the prem is a faster league with more activity in penalty areas ..... I'm concerned what VAR will do to once the ‘professional planners’ at the clubs realise what can be achieved 

4 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Burnley are properly dog muck. Would be fantastic if they went down.

Looking at their remaining fixtures they may well do.  That Cardiff game could do for them.

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sort of yes ..... the prem is a faster league with more activity in penalty areas ..... I'm concerned what VAR will do to once the ‘professional planners’ at the clubs realise what can be achieved 

But in another side it can caught cheater and diver? Maybe more severe punishment could prevent them? 

3 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

Did Wilf trip him? I’m not so sure; this game has turned into ballet in the penalty box where defenders can’t touch a player in case of minimal contact. A missed timed tackle or a full-on barge, blatant handball it’s a penalty. Anything else then no. The Game has gone soft and stupid.

You can see looking at the legs that he's tripped him. I agree the game's gone very soft but that is a clear trip and penalty and we were very fortunate with that one.

Missed the second half and couldn't believe the result when I saw it!!!

I said the players were thick right at the start of the match thread and that it was the same under puel. Well feck me our response wasn't the same as it would have been under Puel.

So proud of the players and our manager. Bloody love em (even if some can be a lil bit stupid sometimes lol).

Re. the peno, I don't think it was a 'foul'. As in, if someone did that outside of the box I wouldn't even think it was a free kick. Their player went flying over minimal contact. There can be contact and no foul committed in my opinion it was merely a minor coming together.

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

I've been saying to people all week that the Fulham game had a whole different atmosphere, people left with a smile on their faces not just at the win but optimism for the future but then I counter that with "But it was at home to Fulham". 

Yesterday generated another hugely positive feeling but a different one, immense pride. 10 v 11 for all but 3 minutes, away from home, horrible conditions (or Burnley as it's otherwise known), up against it but kept their heads and composure  and didn't just come out unscathed but won it. And proud of the 12th man too (I don't mean Morgan but then again he stepped up when required).

The "Never quit" attitude from everyone and the going against the inevitable (that the 11 men who are desperate for points get them) is where you become special and not ordinary, to a man, Fuchsy, the fans, everyone, achieved something that dwarfs the Fulham win and showed a whole other side. And when we got to play our stuff there was plenty of quality to go with the digging in. Two ticks in two different boxes, so far so good.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

You can see looking at the legs that he's tripped him. I agree the game's gone very soft but that is a clear trip and penalty and we were very fortunate with that one.

You may be right... but it evens out.  I have seen many nsiled on penalties that we havent been given. .. and some that were give against us that weren't 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

I didn't realise until yesterday that our own, home grown Harvey Barnes was actually born in Burnley.

Yeah, his dad was playing for Burnley at the time, so presumably his family moved up there.