Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We first went top after gameweek 13.

We went top after beating Stoke 3-0 on Sat 23rd January (gameweek 23) and were never shifted after that.

Gameweeks at top:

21 Leicester

12 Man City (all in first 14 gameweeks)

4 Arsenal (gameweeks 19-22)

1 Man U (gameweek 7)

That season :trumpet:

You missed off Spurs - 14 minutes :thumbup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

How the eff have Brighton spent over £200m on their side? 

Checked on Wiki and most of their signings are declared as undisclosed. Webster for £20 million and Trossard for £18 million the only fees given.

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We first went top after gameweek 13.

We went top after beating Stoke 3-0 on Sat 23rd January (gameweek 23) and were never shifted after that.

Gameweeks at top:

21 Leicester

12 Man City (all in first 14 gameweeks)

4 Arsenal (gameweeks 19-22)

1 Man U (gameweek 7)

That season :trumpet:

3 hours ago, rico said:

You missed off Spurs - 14 minutes :thumbup:

I thought it was 15 minutes, don't want to underplay that massive achievement.

21 weeks at the top, won by 10 points. I've no idea why I was so worried :dunno:

• Like 1

Tomorrow TFG release a podcast with Simpson who speaks about what started the player unrest which ultimately was Ranieri's downfall, which looks to be an incredibly interesting listen.

Prior to this they've also done a podcast with Brendan: 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

These type of reports always make me laugh how the reporter twists the facts on show to highlight what they want. Liverpool have no doubt done incredibly well, but Spurs? They reached 1 final and had a season or so of nearly being in a title race.

Whereas Leicester with an £18mill bigger spend won the title ( ;) ) and Chelsea a £9mill bigger spend won the league, the europa league and the FA cup in the same period. 

Even an honourable mention to Burnley who spent £60mill net in 5 years and reached Europa. 

Liverpool and spurs apparently over achieved, yet chelsea who have more trophies spending a pittance more havent?  Bit of an odd comment from the journalist.

27 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Tomorrow TFG release a podcast with Simpson who speaks about what started the player unrest which ultimately was Ranieri's downfall, which looks to be an incredibly interesting listen.

Prior to this they've also done a podcast with Brendan: 

wow popcorn at the ready.

8 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Liverpool and spurs apparently over achieved, yet chelsea who have more trophies spending a pittance more havent?  Bit of an odd comment from the journalist.

To add - Tottenham have also got away with underinvestment for at least 3 seasons now.That policy was already catching up with them.They desperately needed to spend this summer to at least maintain a top 4 challenge.Which is going to be hard to deliver this year yet alone next.They require champion League football.An operating stadium and big money spent on the squad.No wonder Levy’s panicking.

4 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

They won the Champions League (if we’re talking about Liverpool). 

Not Liverpool, they have of course achieved a lot. My comments was aimed at Spurs who really haven’t achieved anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Not Liverpool, they have of course achieved a lot. My comments was aimed at Spurs who really haven’t achieved anything.

Yeah I was unsure. Can only see them going downhill as well to be honest.

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I think the journo is approaching it from the angle that Spurs and Liverpool built impressive teams over the last five years, whereas Chelsea five years ago were about as good as they are now. So that's why their net spend is impressive, because they brought through players like Mané, Salah, Kane, Eriksen, Alli, TAA, for small fees or no fees.

4 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Is it possible to over achieve when you haven’t achieved anything?

Yeah. If we had finished 2nd in 15/16 we’d still have overachieved. Considering their relatively lower wage bill and lack of transfer spending Spurs did overachieve under Pochettino. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Net spend is a good way of discussing a club's viability and how well run it might be as a business but it's not really an adequate way of judging if they've over or under achieved. You want to just look at expenditure for that. 

In fairness, Liverpool and Spurs would still be lower than United and City etc but you can't sell someone for one of the highest fees ever, break the transfer record fee for a defender, break the transfer record fee for a goalkeeper, drop 100m on a couple of midfielders and then act like some kind of under funded under dog just because your net is below a bunch of clubs spending their Promotion windfall. 

That’s a good post. It’s just one indicator.

Brighton have spent circa £200m

Liverpool have spent circa £100m

It would be interesting to see a comparison of turnover and wages to players before we make the judgement upon which one has overachieved.  

I suspect that all we would deduce is that Liverpool have done really well when compared to their peers (e.g. someone like Man Utd). 

58 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Love to see it. After a player is hugely linked and shown to want to play for Liverpool, signs for their rival and now all the ex players are popping up saying he's shite.

Yeah, this is classic Liverpool. Former player comes out to say precisely the things the Scouse fans want to hear - even though it’s condescending baseless nonsense.

Embarrassing but hilarious all the same.

I’d be interested to know how many times Fowler has actually watched Werner play.

19 hours ago, The Bear said:

How the eff have Brighton spent over £200m on their side? 

That's why it's so important to be a sort after club with state of the art facilities like we're becoming to attract players that are actually worth that wedge. 

A club like Brighton are one of those clubs where they are left with second/third pickings in a horrendously over inflated market.

It's a recipe for disaster. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1