Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

15 hours ago, Md9 said:

I see drinkwater has had his loan cancelled and gone back to Chelsea. Surely half a season loan to the championship would be good for him to get him some kind of form

Maddison and Tielemans are much better players than DD. 

Drinkwater had a couple if good seasons for us but he was never that great of a player. Even if he stayed with us i firmly believe he would have been moved on anyway by either Puel or Rodgers to accommodate Maddison and Tielemans.

He is 29 and his current level is Championship. 

13 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I feel for the bloke. He backed himself to succeed and it's just gone so terribly wrong. 

Chelsea were mugs for buying him tbh. To think he was a CL level player is mental. If they wanted to sort out their English quota they could have just signed a Scott Carson or promoted a youth player. 

Edited by Koke

Drinkwater was was brilliant for us. He made our team tick for a good 3 and a bit seasons. When Drinky played well the whole team did. I was gutted when he left. As Nige said he’s a “complex character” but that doesn’t make him rubbish. Chelsea messed him up like so many other players. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Master Fox said:

Drinkwater was was brilliant for us. He made our team tick for a good 3 and a bit seasons. When Drinky played well the whole team did. I was gutted when he left. As Nige said he’s a “complex character” but that doesn’t make him rubbish. Chelsea messed him up like so many other players. 

Agree. Was a really good player for us. Unfortunately once opposition teams started to take away the ball over the top for Vardy, and the injury bug bit, he became less and less influential.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Do you think?

Perhaps i'm just a cynical fucker but I think something dramatically changed in Drinkwater attitude, whether that be mental issues that he had struggles without of his control I don't know, but I question his desire to actually be a footballer and just interested in chasing the money - again similar to my Maguire comments - Who am I to judge.

Whilst he wasn't every going to get played for England I feel the way he handled the situations when he was called up for England badly, pulling out a few times, perhaps it was just unfortunate timing and I admit I held the opinion of 'Good on him for pulling out, he's not going to get a chance anyway'.

I believe his attitude changed, thought he was something, chased the money and become abit of a Champagne Charlie, as you say he perhaps backed himself to succeed but I think everyone knew he wouldn't play for Chelsea, everyone pretty much knew Chelsea signed him to get their quota of English players up and it wouldn't be/isn't any shocking surprise that it has gone so terribly wrong.

I agree with everything you said about Drinkwater and am probably just as cynical as you. However i dont feel the same about Maguire. He worked his way up thru the leagues, improving all the time and then got the chance to play on the big stage with England, jumped at the chance and bossed it. Man Utd (although they are absolutely pants right now) was just another a step up the ladder. Moving to the club which he apparently looked up to (?) as a youngster.

Can't see anyone in the premier league taking Drinkwater. Massive wages, injury problems and now (rightly or wrongly) with a reputation for off the field problems.

He was never the quickest, I don't know if he even has the legs for the level anymore.

He's still a legend and it's dismaying to see his decline as he should be in the peak of his career at 29.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think Drinkwater to Watford would be a great shout, but barely a handful of games in 2 years to a team who need results and need them now, could be problematic.

I wonder how many other old boys might be on Niges radar ...    Kingy ? ...  Wes ? ...  James ????

• Haha 1

Still surprised he failed so miserably at Chelski ....   we had won the league and our midfield pairing of Drinky and the Kante twins had completely bossed it ...   it seemed like a very shrewd move at the time.   Think we’ll have to wait a while before we get to the bottom of that one.

11 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

We are currently 25th - Championship play offs, which if you take our entire history is about right and shows what a great period we are in now.

full league table https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.givemesport.com/1471906-the-alltime-english-topflight-table-has-been-created-using-131-years-of-results%3famp

But 15th in the all time (since 92) Premier League table.

https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeLeagueTable?comp_code=EPL

Just 10 points from overtaking Boro and going into 14th.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Alcohol.

He split up with the mother of his baby as well didn’t he, not long after the baby was born. It’s probably just accumulation of things with him. 

I wonder how much desire he has to get his head down and work hard again to force his way into a team. At 29 years old he’s got a couple of years at best left to be a premier league player. 

Drinkwater’s dramatic decline - coupled with the rise and rise of Jamie Vardy - could and should be used as a cautionary tale to members of the current squad who might be tempted to move on to a ‘bigger’ club at some point.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Drinkwater’s dramatic decline - coupled with the rise and rise of Jamie Vardy - could and should be used as a cautionary tale to members of the current squad who might be tempted to move on to a ‘bigger’ club at some point.

But it won't. 

Players like Maguire will look at drinkwater and assume that they're more capable of handling the move. 

At the end of the day money talks. 

9 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Personal circumstances differ so much player to player though. Drinkwater's move hasn't worked out but an amalgamation of stuff has lead to it, more so than any particular lack of ability.

46 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Come on now, if “look at what happened to Danny drinkwater” is the biggest bargaining chip to keep players at your club then I’d worry. Thankfully you seem to have owners who run the club well enough that there should be a host of tangible attractions to keep players at the club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

Is it a threat or a promise? :ph34r:

23 hours ago, Md9 said:

I see drinkwater has had his loan cancelled and gone back to Chelsea. Surely half a season loan to the championship would be good for him to get him some kind of form

Just seen this. I know it's easy to sneer and to think that he did the Icarus thing, but he was a real star for us in both the Championship and when we won the title. I wonder if Big Nige will try to bring him to Watford, or if that boat has sailed?

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

Come on now, if “look at what happened to Danny drinkwater” is the biggest bargaining chip to keep players at your club then I’d worry. Thankfully you seem to have owners who run the club well enough that there should be a host of tangible attractions to keep players at the club.

It’s not the ‘biggest bargaining chip’ at all - I never said it was - but it is there as an example of how the grass is potentially far from greener elsewhere and could be a factor in any negotiations.

Edited by Hammo