Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

League titles obviously done. congratulations Liverpool. I’d love the rest of the season to pan out as follows, for us;

We need to stay in the champions league spots, preferably 3rd, to avoid the 4th place qualifying round. Get to the league cup final. Win the FA cup (Favourable draws required). This would represent an amazing season. 

in the Summer, recruit well with a young international centre back, a top class wide forward, a young left back and an up and coming centre forward. Release detailed plans for the stadium expansion. Move to new training facilities.

16 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Putting my neutral head on, right now, Wolves are at least as good as we are. The difference this season is that they have had much more games to contend with and struggled early in the season but they have adjusted really well. .

We'd do well next season to replicate what they've achieved. 

On another note, that we have Man U at home on the last day of the season truly is God having some schadenfreude. 

Looking at the table and inconsistency of others, I reckon five more wins will get us a top four finish. If we win five more games that will put us on 63 points, meaning that any team from 5th downwards will need at least 30 points to finish above us from the remaining 14 games. That's with us losing the remining nine games. 

12 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

League titles obviously done. congratulations Liverpool. I’d love the rest of the season to pan out as follows, for us;

We need to stay in the champions league spots, preferably 3rd, to avoid the 4th place qualifying round. Get to the league cup final. Win the FA cup (Favourable draws required). This would represent an amazing season. 

in the Summer, recruit well with a young international centre back, a top class wide forward, a young left back and an up and coming centre forward. Release detailed plans for the stadium expansion. Move to new training facilities.

I think 4th place also avoids qualifying. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Not applicable anymore. All of the top four go straight through to the Champions League group stage now.

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Looking at the table and inconsistency of others, I reckon five more wins will get us a top four finish. If we win five more games that will put us on 63 points, meaning that any team from 5th downwards will need at least 30 points to finish above us from the remaining 14 games. That's with us losing the remining nine games. 

Probably right. 10 wins from 14 games for the other teams (or at least two of those teams) seems extremely unlikely based on current form.

If we can pick up one or two wins from February and one draw it will be a good month. March looks like a potential 6-9 point month if we can perform. I think by the end of March we can see if Top 4 is done or if we are really going to get any competition.

2 minutes ago, Langston said:

Would absolutely love Wolves to sneak into the top 4 at Chelsea's expense.

They are more than capable. Let's see how they continue to fare in the EL and if that impacts them in any way. Doesn't seem to bother them by the looks. Also, Chelsea have Liverpool to play and Man City, whereas Wolves are done with those games. And just checked, Chelsea's last two games are Liverpool away and Wolves at home. That last game could get tasty.

16 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

he did prison time for repeatedly kicking someone who was already out on the deck in the head, just cos he wanted to. cheated on the mother of his kids.

Nobody's saying he's Mother Theresa. But it's difficult to sit in judgement without knowing the full picture. 

Just seems like a decent bloke is all. 

And who knows, maybe it's possible to make mistakes and come back from them rather than being castigated for them for the rest of your life. Outside of the tabloids, that is.

10 hours ago, trabuch said:

Changing the subject (and probably in the wrong thread) - I've just seen Troy Deeney on that Amazon football program. What a totally sound person he is. Absolutely lovely man. All is forgiven (particularly when you think if we had been promoted that year we may not have won the ****ing league - and we did you know - we won the ****ing league - I might get bored of saying that before I die [no I won't]).

Don't forget the championship!

Or maybe that's what you were taking about. Silly me:D

Edited by Blue ROI

Guest An Sionnach

Talksport saying Utd. looking at bringing Slim in on loan. Ha ha very funny, no way would we agree to that , anyway might need him ourselves yet.

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's easy to get a bit carried away with Wolves when you only watch them play against the big teams. 

They're actually a bit like us historically, they work really hard, they counter well, they've got some good players but they lack invention. 

They're where they are in the league because when you watch them play the muck, they often come up short in a way we've started to put behind us (recent blip aside.) 

The way we took West Ham apart with slick, quick movement, overlaps all over the place, nice vertical passing, it's been the haulmark of Rodgers football. Wolves don't have that level of invention. 

Moutinho and Neves strike a ball beautifully but they're not creative in the way Maddison and Tielemans are. I'd comfortably take our midfield over theirs to play our brand of football and that's generally their biggest strength. 

I agree and I do wonder what exactly people are seeing when they describe Wolves as being this really exciting team to watch. They seem to have a reputation as being this slick footballing side and I assume it's based on them having two continental midfielders who can pass the ball quite well. Don't want to come across as a snob because we are the magnificent Brendan Rodgers' Leicester City and we play football The Right Way registered trademark, but they come across to me as being a pretty functional and often quite dull team. The one properly exciting player in their team is Traore and that's mostly due to the mixture of absolute certainty he'll skin his defender and absolute mystery of what he'll do with the ball afterwards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

We need finish 3rd just in case the unthinkable happens, and say someone like Spurs manage to fluke a champions league win and one of the English sides win the Europa. In that scenario I think 4th in the league misses out. Unlikely probably, but still best to take no chances.

Hmm. Top 4 gets European football no matter what. 

If Man City get top 4(which they will) and win the EFL Cup then runners up (potentially us) goes to qualifying rounds of EL (probably start in July which is shit). 

Then there's this bit:

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage

Basically finish top 4 and we're going on a European tour. Finish top 4 and win a domestic cup, then 7th/8th will get Europa League. 

24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Hmm. Top 4 gets European football no matter what. 

If Man City get top 4(which they will) and win the EFL Cup then runners up (potentially us) goes to qualifying rounds of EL (probably start in July which is shit). 

Then there's this bit:

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage

Basically finish top 4 and we're going on a European tour. Finish top 4 and win a domestic cup, then 7th/8th will get Europa League. 

So he’s right - until spurs/Chelsea or yanited/wolves are knocked out of the CL and Europa league, 4th place doesn’t guarantee CL ......

It’s so unlikely that spurs or Chelsea could win the CL that it’s hardly worth considering..... it may not be relevant by the end feb ......

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So he’s right - until spurs/Chelsea or yanited/wolves are knocked out of the CL and Europa league, 4th place doesn’t guarantee CL ......

It’s so unlikely that spurs or Chelsea could win the CL that it’s hardly worth considering..... it may not be relevant by the end feb ......

I thought he meant European football in general, not CL. My bad. 

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I thought he meant European football in general, not CL. My bad. 

The thought that we could drop 14 points in the last 15 games to lose out on top 4 is a difficult one to embrace .... Europa league would be a bad end to what looks like a a memorable campaign ....