Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

4 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Nothing bizarre about saying that him having more assists than big chances created is overperformance, it's pretty much unheard of.

Grealish is deemed one of the most creative players in the league and has created only 6 big chances supposedly. I find stats like this a little misleading.

You see it on here all the time that “he’s not a wide player, he’s better in the middle” but that’s not true. At West Brom he got more goals and assists playing on the left (14 apps, 6 goals, 4 assists) than he did centrally. On the few occasions he’s played centrally for us he’s not played particularly well.

• Like 1

Don’t just look at stats but watch the games, what how he plays, watch how others play, take note of formation and other players around him.

Barnes is a very talented naturally gifted footballer, but he has things to learn especially as one poster said above how he can force his way into a game when he is not getting much of the ball. On this, he can learn a bit from Nachos.

Someone compared him with Maddison. Different sort of player but Barnes’ final ball is much better. As another poster said above, he does all the work and the final ball is often putting it more on a platter for others. Maddison has the right ideas, but he needs to improve on that final ball - too often it is too short, too long, too much away from the best path or a second too late, and the recipient needs to do a lot more to get to it or then try to take a good shot.  And he takes all our corners and freekicks. Someone also mentioned Grealish - he is a gem. He can do much better if he plays in a better team than Villa. 

What I am saying is, there seems to be too much focus on stats and what pundits say. We have also separately concluded that most pundits do not know what they are talking about because they just read stats and don’t watch games.

Edited by Tom12345

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

You see it on here all the time that “he’s not a wide player, he’s better in the middle” but that’s not true. At West Brom he got more goals and assists playing on the left (14 apps, 6 goals, 4 assists) than he did centrally. On the few occasions he’s played centrally for us he’s not played particularly well.

I agree, wide players come in all different styles now and I think he is probably better suited where there's more protection down the left than in a 4-1-4-1 playing with Chilwell. If we do play 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 long term then I think he will blossom as you'd expect to see the LCB and the LWB being able to cover the elft hand side to enable him in either the front 2 or 3 to do what he is best at and that's look for the space and get on the ball and run at teams. I say do what he is best at as finding space sometimes looks unnatural to him when he's trying to get out the way when playing with Chilwell but seemingly when playing with Fuchs or Justin he gets on the ball in various areas and drives at teams.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree, wide players come in all different styles now and I think he is probably better suited where there's more protection down the left than in a 4-1-4-1 playing with Chilwell. If we do play 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 long term then I think he will blossom as you'd expect to see the LCB and the LWB being able to cover the elft hand side to enable him in either the front 2 or 3 to do what he is best at and that's look for the space and get on the ball and run at teams. I say do what he is best at as finding space sometimes looks unnatural to him when he's trying to get out the way when playing with Chilwell but seemingly when playing with Fuchs or Justin he gets on the ball in various areas and drives at teams.

Chilwell’s strength is carrying the ball  up the pitch but Barnes thrives when he gets it early. Chilwell doesn’t get his head up and pick him out when they play together - in the long term Barnes offers us more than Chilwell so if that relationship on the pitch doesn’t improve it’s another reason to take the money

• Like 1

Said it numerous times since the palace win, no idea why he hadn’t started a game since. 

Yes... the finishing is suspect, but he makes the difference to us going forwards. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Was pushed in the back for the first chance 

Should have played it to Perez before that. 

Far too wasteful. Thank God Gray could finish one of Vardy's passes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

If he can work on his finishing he'll be immense. His dribbling and the positions he gets himself in are top notch 

Exactly what I was going to post. His finishing is at times awful, those chances today should have resulted in a goal if we, and he, wants to kick on.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Was pushed in the back for the first chance 

thank god somebody else noticed it, I thought I was losing my mind? the commentators said nothing, he didn't appeal, var presumably didn't look at it, but I was screaming at the TV, it was an absolute stonewall penalty and possible red card, shoved in the back as he went to shoot.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

If he can work on his finishing he'll be immense. His dribbling and the positions he gets himself in are top notch 

And first touch.

Just now, shade said:

thank god somebody else noticed it, I thought I was losing my mind? the commentators said nothing, he didn't appeal, var presumably didn't look at it, but I was screaming at the TV, it was an absolute stonewall penalty and possible red card, shoved in the back as he went to shoot.

I'd have been disappointed if it was given against us. All defenders give a little knock like that. Plus nobody appealed for it at all, including Barnes, which usually tells you something.

He's so close to clicking. Just needs to find his finishing boots. Easy to forget this is his first full season in the prem, and it's been a pretty unusual one. His numbers are average at worst and he's still a young lad. I've got faith he can kick on and become one of the top wingers in the league.

• Like 2