Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

12 hours ago, blaaklint said:

what I find really bizarre about harvey is that, if you compare his stats this season to last season, they're down in nearly every single way (per fbref - who get their stats from statsbomb, which is incidentally the same stats provider the club uses). the number of shots he takes is down, their average value is down, his pass percentage, number of attempted passes and progressive passing distance are down, the number of goal and shot creating actions he performs is down. the thing that has changed is that this season he's scored and assisted 1.4 and 2.3 goals above his expected, rather than the 2.7 and 0.7 under of last year (this could be put down to one of three things: either he has become a significantly better finisher since last year, or he's just getting more luck than last year, or more likely some combination of the two).

i don't mean to belittle his ability or contribution, more to underline that, actually, he's always been an excellent player and we can hopefully expect even better seasons than this in the future.

I think that actually makes sense. How many times last season did Harvey whiff a sitter, or make just slightly the wrong decision? Now he has more confidence in himself and self-belief, he is getting more returns. I think it's also indicative of the team having less time on the ball this season, because of Rodgers' tactical adaptations.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, blaaklint said:

what I find really bizarre about harvey is that, if you compare his stats this season to last season, they're down in nearly every single way (per fbref - who get their stats from statsbomb, which is incidentally the same stats provider the club uses). the number of shots he takes is down, their average value is down, his pass percentage, number of attempted passes and progressive passing distance are down, the number of goal and shot creating actions he performs is down. the thing that has changed is that this season he's scored and assisted 1.4 and 2.3 goals above his expected, rather than the 2.7 and 0.7 under of last year (this could be put down to one of three things: either he has become a significantly better finisher since last year, or he's just getting more luck than last year, or more likely some combination of the two).

i don't mean to belittle his ability or contribution, more to underline that, actually, he's always been an excellent player and we can hopefully expect even better seasons than this in the future.

I'd have to agree with this, last season he got so much of the ball and it felt he wasted it time after time. The majority if this season he's been way more efficient. Don't forget that up until about mid December when he got dropped for a few games, we weren't playing 4-1-4-1 where he is most involved as a winger. In a back 3 our system just hasn't yet suited him.

15 hours ago, Hansifüx said:

I am somewhat an outsider since I haven't watched leicester for more than two seasons regularly, last year Barnes didn't even pop up for me. Actually I was more impressed  by Gray (I know some of you are now laughing ;) but that is the truth ... Gray seemed to have something special about how he moved ... I know he is not delivering but these two things can coexist ... Anyway what I think Barnes is missing yet is more flexibility in his play ... He is great when he takes defenders on with his pace and he has a great touch + strke... but he is not the type of winger who can provide crosses with his left foot. He definitely needs to improve his left foot.  But this is not a problem because there is no  striker who is good in the air anyway ...   In the end, I am not convinced he is the prototype winger, I could imagine him more in playing in a more central role (either as a CF, false 9) or an attacking midfielder (similar to zaniolo) ... just my thoughts.  

Improve his left foot? Hahaha half of his goals this season have been scored with his left foot!!!

I agree he offers more than Mahrez, 100%. Barnes is playing in and standing out in a much more balanced team whilst goals for us during mahrez’ time was the Vardy and Mahrez show.

A lot quicker, a lot stronger, great two feet, the guy offers a lot more, he can defo surpass Mahrez if his development continues.

He’s gone up a level this season certainly but I wanna see more of the Barnes that played against Stoke, he demanded the ball every time and made something happen.

He's so dynamic and scares defenders to bits when he drives at them. This will either create opportunities for him or space for others. But I do think Harvey can still drift out at times. Those 20 -30 silent minutes are what he needs to work on. Namely finding ways to influence the game. The team also need to understand that you must put the ball in front of him with a little momentum. Let his legs get moving as then he can turn the after burners on. He isn't a tricky Mahrez so the standing start negates some of his impact. I think the sky's the limit really for Harvey. 

Perhaps I’m being overly critical but I’d like to see him be a bit more creative. Of course it’s the nature of a right footed player playing on the left to want to cut in and want to shoot but I’d like to see him switch it up and take a man on the outside occasionally. Ironically this time last year he was getting assists but not too many goals, but now he’a scoring but not getting too many assists. He can just be anonymous in tight games. 

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Improved his finishing no end then. Absolutely superb. Lovely composure for his goal.

Like night and day. Him and Ndidi used to stress me out watching them play when Rodgers first started. No stress for me now. Different players the composure they have now. Becoming world class.

His goalscoring knack has improved immensely. Can be so frustrating in general play, touch and awareness can be sometimes poor but none of that matters if he's eventually having impact in a game. His run for the Vardy chance was peak and that's what makes him so exciting.