Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The people getting triggered by the word "player" and making out like their rights are being trampled.

i don't think it's the specific word 'player' that irks people, i guess it's the idea that liberal ideologues are no longer dictating what you CAN'T say, but are now dictating what you're compelled to say.

2 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

You were calling for him to dropped after Burnley since then he has played 4 games for club and country, won 4, conceded 0, scored 20 and Ben has personally Assisted 5 and scored 1. Staggering stats! 

Why not just admit you got it wrong and it's sometimes good to show a bit of patience with our talented youngsters?

Or why not just let someone have an opinion and express it without having it rammed back down his throat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Kind of, yeah. 

We shouldn't discriminate based on gender. That doesn't mean we need to do away with acknowledging gender. 

It's been man of the match since before i existed. Was that term so very offensive? Do we need to also homogenise MANager, man marking and 'picking up your man in the box.' 

I'm always wary of this kind of politispeak. Are the FA truly genderless or is this public tokenism. 

Abso-fvcking-lutely yes. 

It's the same with race. Any reference to race is assumed racism now. 

The irony is that it only exacerbates the problems we're trying to overcome.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Abso-fvcking-lutely yes. 

Such an odd virtue signal from the FA. 

Its a single sex match. No need to shy away from gender. Or go the whole hog and have 'human of the match'. 

6 hours ago, shade said:

compelled speech is a problem, yes.

For compelled speech try China, Turkey, Thailand and dozens of other countries.

You wouldn't know "compelled speech" if it bit you on the ass.

Freedom that took generations of sacrifice to win and preserve ... and your type moan as if you weren't enjoying the fruits of that sacrifice with every breath you take.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Or why not just let someone have an opinion and express it without having it rammed back down his throat.

I've got no problem whatsoever with people having an opinion different to mine. But this went a bit beyond that and he had some posts deleted by the mods. Hence why I'm being a bit of a dick about it now. But I'll stop now. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shade said:

i don't think it's the specific word 'player' that irks people, i guess it's the idea that liberal ideologues are no longer dictating what you CAN'T say, but are now dictating what you're compelled to say.

Nobody's saying that "man of the match" is an offensive term, nobody's saying that you have to say player instead, they're interchangeable terms, one of which seems to have sparked something deep in gammondom. I've never seen this outrage over the "player of the month/season" awards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

That's not hindsight. The whole point of hindsight is that's it's based on events that actually happened, not 'events you predicted would happen but that turned out to be so embarassingly wrong you can't admit it and double down with even more mystic smeg'. The word for that is 'sorry'.

embarassingly? your spelling pretty embarrassing kid.

Edited by VIKTOR-LE5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Abso-fvcking-lutely yes. 

Exactly! We all know racism no longer exists...

With all due respect (if any), please quit conflating issues. There are times that so-called “references to race” indeed amount to racism. It all depends on context, but to simply wave it off with a casual dismissive over-generalization is (to be brutally honest) rather obtuse. 

Rant over, now back to footy. :scarf:

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

embarassingly? your spelling pretty embarrassing kid.

That's a very powerful comeback, and I'm suitably mortified at missing out a letter 'r'. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I'd said we should have dropped Chilwell, and then proceeded to completely misunderstand the fairly simple concept of 'hindsight'. 

Edited by turtmcfly

11 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I mean, that's a very powerful comeback, and I'm suitably mortified at missing out a letter 'r'. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I'd said we should have dropped Chilwell, and then proceeded to completely misunderstand the fairly simple concept of 'hindsight'. 

Yawn.

So, we should keep Chilwell?

Is this the thread who identified Mahrez was terrible?

Is this the club where in 2016/17 I had to endure potential Vardy slayers sitting next to me?

Surely we are better than that.   Just because Chilwell is a top defender, does it not mean he is crap?  Sell the useless academy, one of our own, products....

Seriously, I hope his recent form leads to him being backed.  He is moving towards top Fuching class .  I bope he is at the club for a lo g time yet. 

22 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Exactly! We all know racism no longer exists...

With all due respect (if any), please quit conflating issues. There are times that so-called “references to race” indeed amount to racism. It all depends on context, but to simply wave it off with a casual dismissive over-generalization is (to be brutally honest) rather obtuse. 

Rant over, now back to footy. :scarf:

I'm not implying racism doesn't exist. It does.

But that doesn't mean every reference to race is racism.

• Like 1

Just been reading some of the ‘handbags’ stuff on here (Jesus, is that term acceptable nowadays?) and can I just try and arbitrate by offering up the reality that up until the Southampton game Chilwell had been arguably our least productive regular first-teamer this season - and at Anfield he was utterly woeful - but since then he has finally rediscovered the form he had this time last year, when he was arguably our best player.

Criticism of him earlier in the season was justified, but I, like every other City fan, am just delighted that he is firing on all cylinders again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Just been reading some of the ‘handbags’ stuff on here (Jesus, is that term acceptable nowadays?) and can I just try and arbitrate by offering up the reality that up until the Southampton game Chilwell had been arguably our least productive regular first-teamer this season - and at Anfield he was utterly woeful - but since then he has finally rediscovered the form he had this time last year, when he was arguably our best player.

Criticism of him earlier in the season was justified, but I, like every other City fan, am just delighted that he is firing on all cylinders again.

oi mate, you can't call it 'firing on all cylinders'  it might be offensive to non cylindrical objects. 

• Haha 1

If we get an obscene price for him and can find a Ricardo quality left back from Europe for less than half that fee then why not ??

I'm afraid that English players expect to be paid a small fortune in comparison to their European counterparts....our constrained income means we cannot expect to hang onto them forever - although the 22/23 year olds could hang on for another couple seasons 

One of our best players. Apologies if any of you are triggered by my use of the word player. Some folk get awfully offended and what they think other people are offended at. I didn't even notice it was player rather than man to be honest until some nobber started foaming at the mouth over it. X 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/11/2019 at 10:19, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

So if his form was poor for the next 6 games and he cost us points, you'd have kept playing him and i agree Fuchs is class, especially the season we won the our only league title.

Ahem....

FIRST league title.

I like to be positive whenever poss.