Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

37 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

How?

Tell me more.

Got a link?

It'll be behind a paywall though - if you click on the tweet it drops down into a few other tweets with the main points (when you click on show this thread).

Doesn't look good for him (I've not read it yet). But, The Sunday Times is more of a conservative leaning paper. I mean it's basically owned by Murdoch.

Edited by Guesty
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Guesty said:

It'll be behind a paywall though - if you click on the tweet it drops down into a few other tweets with the main points (when you click on show this thread).

Doesn't look good for him (I've not read it yet). But, The Sunday Times is more of a conservative leaning paper. I mean it's basically owned by Murdoch.

Links are all over twitter for those interested if you search "Sunday Times".

The article is shocking read.

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh#selection-769.0-769.14

Edited by Magictv
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Sunday Times article, not going to quote due to the length of it but a lot of damning information there.

As someone who is generally anti Tory I've given the government the benefit of the doubt on handling this but patience is starting to dwindle now. It's a bit frustrating that:

- Pledges on testing are worth f uck all when the number of tests have been a lot lower than actual test numbers.

- There is no exit strategy, even a provisional one. You can still have an exit strategy if you dont know when it can be implemented.

- There is no information on when the coronavirus tracking app will be released and the longer it takes to implement the less effective it will become.

NHS staff only tested if they show signs of symptoms. Given it’s a known fact that some people are showing no symptoms but have contracted, it seems incredibly reckless you could have staff who are infectious working across hospitals currently. 

In addition 20% of NHS staff are/were self isolating because household members shown symptoms - so we are disqualifying staff from working by not getting them tested. 

Lack of cohesion there

The most revealing thing about that Sunday Times article is that it’s the Sunday Times publishing (though it’s not the lead front headline). Plenty questioning the ‘sources’ but a heavyweight of Tory support doesn’t go for the Govt without good reason. 

Equally it didn’t know Johnson’s morals were that low of trying sort a divorce settlement at the time your wife and mother of multiple children to yourself is being treated for cancer. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Thanks for the Sunday Times article, not going to quote due to the length of it but a lot of damning information there.

As someone who is generally anti Tory I've given the government the benefit of the doubt on handling this but patience is starting to dwindle now. It's a bit frustrating that:

- Pledges on testing are worth f uck all when the number of tests have been a lot lower than actual test numbers.

- There is no exit strategy, even a provisional one. You can still have an exit strategy if you dont know when it can be implemented.

- There is no information on when the coronavirus tracking app will be released and the longer it takes to implement the less effective it will become.

The inquest into this will be horrific for the government.

9 hours ago, Lionator said:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

A really interesting, informative article from Chinese/American scientists who observed the spread of the disease through air conditioning systems.

This could explain why the North of Italy (cold) is more affected than the South (warm) as well as contributing to high rates in cities like NYC and London where there's increased public transport which uses air conditioning. 

Interesting. Saw an item on BBC news yesterday on the amount of flights still arriving in the UK  and heard what I consider to be the craziest statement.

The journo said that most flights are now repatriation flights which was fair enough but then went on to say that as the flights were not full, it was possible to social distance by keeping people spread out on the aircraft.

What a tw@t, once the cabin is pressurized everyone is breathing recirculated air, I couldn't think of a worse environment to be in at present. 

14 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Interesting. Saw an item on BBC news yesterday on the amount of flights still arriving in the UK  and heard what I consider to be the craziest statement.

The journo said that most flights are now repatriation flights which was fair enough but then went on to say that as the flights were not full, it was possible to social distance by keeping people spread out on the aircraft.

What a tw@t, once the cabin is pressurized everyone is breathing recirculated air, I couldn't think of a worse environment to be in at present. 

Half of aircraft air is fresh air diverted from engine inlets, the remaining is HEPA filtered taking out bacteria/virus. Being in a plane is no worse than being in general proximity to people anywhere else. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Wow that’s bad from Boris inexcusable really.

A member of my family has worked for boris in the past

Evidently, anyone who has worked for boris knows that he is very good at not really doing anything and relies on his staff to do the work

this situation is really not one that suits his style of modus operandi 

sadly it appears that those around him were incapable of seizing the initiative on this late jan/early feb.  One would have thought that the U.K. staff working in China would have communicated the severity of the outbreak effectively to the foreign office .......... oh hang on, that’s raab isn’t it .........

the response once this has got going merely illustrates the issue that government (of any hue) has in responding to a real crisis. It simply doesn’t work under pressure (not real pressure where you have to make quick choices or lose fortunes of your own money and potentially your business).  Those at the top don’t really DO anything and those underneath who are charged with doing the tasks tend to work to rules and regs and at their average pace. x relies on y and y relies on z.  If any of x, y or z aren’t ready or haven’t done their bit then we move onto tomorrow ........

it would take a very special leader to have managed this effectively and even then, they would need extremely capable people around them .......

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

sadly it appears that those around him were incapable of seizing the initiative on this late jan/early feb.  One would have thought that the U.K. staff working in China would have communicated the severity of the outbreak effectively to the foreign office .......... oh hang on, that’s raab isn’t it .........

the response once this has got going merely illustrates the issue that government (of any hue) has in responding to a real crisis. It simply doesn’t work under pressure (not real pressure where you have to make quick choices or lose fortunes of your own money and potentially your business).  Those at the top don’t really DO anything and those underneath who are charged with doing the tasks tend to work to rules and regs and at their average pace. x relies on y and y relies on z.  If any of x, y or z aren’t ready or haven’t done their bit then we move onto tomorrow ........

it would take a very special leader to have managed this effectively and even then, they would need extremely capable people around them .......

There’s a wider argument there about how you become a MP, the financial complications and their pay (which indirectly lends itself to expenses fraud) etc. 

If anyone is bothered, read Isabel Hardmen’s Why We Get The Wrong Politicians. 

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Evidently, anyone who has worked for boris knows that he is very good at not really doing anything and relies on his staff to do the work

I just can't understand how they didn't catch onto the fact that this was serious. Early Feb at work we were already discussing amongst ourselves the possibility of the university I work at temporarily closing the campus, and I was already starting to bulk cook food to put into the freezer. 

I think a really significant finding in the Times investigation though was the failings to act on any of the recommendations of the 2016 assessment of how prepared we were for a pandemic. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Say for example, Angela Merkel.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Half of aircraft air is fresh air diverted from engine inlets, the remaining is HEPA filtered taking out bacteria/virus. Being in a plane is no worse than being in general proximity to people anywhere else. 

Thanks for that, maybe not as bad as I thought then, but being in a confined space with people for hours on end can't be great.

3 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Thanks for that, maybe not as bad as I thought then, but being in a confined space with people for hours on end can't be great.

I attended a zoom funeral on Friday for a cousin of my dad who caught the virus with his wife on a plane journey back from s Africa a few weeks ago 

being on any flight wouldn’t be top of my list of places to be if I wanted to avoid CV 

no doubt the risk is reduced with the low number of people on the flight but if I was in a country where they had a v low infection rate and I could afford to stay there then I wouldn’t be rushing back here to stay cooped up !