Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

20 minutes ago, Dan Gliballs said:

Torn on this.

On the one hand, I think Chilwell is massively underrated and used as a scapegoat by a lot of our fans, he's not the perfect LB, but he is incredibly good, and we'd do very well to replace him in the immediate future with anyone of equal calibre.

On the other, we do tend to let one starter go each year, for better or for worse, it's where we are as a club. Of our 'stars', I'd be the least disappointed to see Chilwell leave (for good money) rather than Maddison, Wilf, Ricky, Cags etc.

Whatever happens; if he leaves the media will absolutely laud him and claim he's added balance to the team. If he stays they'll likely shit on us for somehow stopping his career

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Whatever happens; if he leaves the media will absolutely laud him and claim he's added balance to the team. If he stays they'll likely shit on us for somehow stopping his career

Agreed. Probably the same for any club outside of the perceived 'big six' though, apart from maybe Everton.

Guest An Sionnach

Thing about Ben is the media seem to see something we don't .Are we all missing something? If he goes , good luck to him , but Chelsea or Man. City are big ponds and the scrutiny will be intense.

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It’s guaranteed he’ll be motm in his first game if he goes. Just like maguire when he went Man Utd. He could score 3 own goals, give 4 penalties away and get sent off and still be motm.....

1 minute ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He and Riccy P were singularly responsible for moving us up the park. Great outlets. Be careful what you wish for folks!!

Spot on ...   but we’ll keep talking him down and ‘finding’ someone probably better but half the money we sell him for ...   and in the end be desperate for him to go !!     Sad loss if he goes ....  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He and Riccy P were singularly responsible for moving us up the park. Great outlets. Be careful what you wish for folks!!

Good luck explaining how that works to the majority of this forum. 

• Like 1

In the end, if a player want to leave and you get the price you want, its for the best. 

I'd rather keep Maddison, Ndidi, Riccardo and Soyuncu, if we had to sell anyone out of our top players it would be Chilwell.

I think the could have learn't a lot from the Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez situations. 

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Good luck explaining how that works to the majority of this forum. 

I dont want to sell personally because i think he's better than he showed this season but there was a decent stretch of game where he was really poor and in general he hasnt been all that. There was a period of time where he was just a dead end for passing moves.

4 hours ago, lgfualol said:

I'd be anxious to see who we replace him with if he goes. We need someone to cover the whole left side as effectively as Chilwell, Fuchs doesnt have the legs and if we want top 6 again putting all hope on Thomas is risky. 

No CL is also not helpful to get top players.

There is loads of quality and obtainable LB's out there. It's not the worst time to sell Chilwell if we get a good offer. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

There is loads of quality and obtainable LB's out there. It's no the worst time to sell Chilwell if we get a good offer. 

Name them.

You're assuming that firstly they'd want to come here, in particular given our spectacular tailspin and current loss of form. And secondly, that they'd immediately fit in. Chilwell is a huge part of Southgate's future plans and as an academy product, the identity of this team. He's already performed admirably for his country. The guy has massive potential...utterly bizarre that so many Leicester supporters fail to appreciate that. 

• Like 3

I've never seen Chilwell as a top class player. Ever. Maybe I have a bias in me that means I can't see Leicester City products attaining that level of performance but I've never watched Chilwell and though 'this lad is unplayable' like I have Ricardo, even for ten minutes in a game. I say take the money after we can get someone from abroad who can replace him and it 6 months we will see him as another Maguire.

18 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Name them.

You're assuming that firstly they'd want to come here, in particular given our spectacular tailspin and current loss of form. And secondly, that they'd immediately fit in. Chilwell is a huge part of Southgate's future plans and as an academy product, the identity of this team. He's already performed admirably for his country. The guy has massive potential...utterly bizarre that so many Leicester supporters fail to appreciate that. 

I'm probably not hipster enough to answer the best but the likes of @Finnegan & @Ric Flair might know better:

1) Grimaldo (Benfica)

2) Tagliafico (Ajax)

3) Gosens (Atalanta)

4) Cucurella (Getafe)

5) Telles (Porto)

I'm sure that list can be added to but all the above players would probably like a move to a top club this season and we could probably get most of them assuming they don't get it which not all of them will. 

• Like 2

I see him as a consistently steady player, but not outstanding. He gets picked apart a lot defensively and was clearly singled out and terrorised in both Man City games and Liverpool at boxing day (most players would be though).

I remember him being great at the 9-0 game. But i’m curious, does anybody else have any other games where you thought Chilwell was absolutely brilliant?

1 minute ago, PrecociousFox93 said:

I see him as a consistently steady player, but not outstanding. He gets picked apart a lot defensively and was clearly singled out and terrorised in both Man City games and Liverpool at boxing day (most players would be though).

I remember him being great at the 9-0 game. But i’m curious, does anybody else have any other games where you thought Chilwell was absolutely brilliant?

Millwall away in the cup?

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I'm probably not hipster enough to answer the best but the likes of @Finnegan & @Ric Flair might know better:

1) Grimaldo (Benfica)

2) Tagliafico (Ajax)

3) Gosens (Atalanta)

4) Cucurella (Getafe)

5) Telles (Porto)

I'm sure that list can be added to but all the above players would probably like a move to a top club this season and we could probably get most of them assuming they don't get it which not all of them will. 

I'm not convinced that any of them would entertain the idea of coming here or necessarily prove to be an immediate upgrade on Chilwell. This is pure conjecture on your part. Tagliafico, as extensively discussed, would admittedly be a great return, but honestly, I'd prefer to continue to develop Ben. Two things that concerned me about Rodgers, one dimensional tactics and a stubborn approach to this and recruitment. The former has been borne out in the second half of this season. The latter, is again supposition, based upon largely anecdotal doubts about Congerton. Frankly, if any of the above sign for Leicester right this summer, I'll be most surprised. And like I said, your conviction that they would be an instant improvement on Chilwell largely in the absence of proven Premier League experience is pure fantasist wishful thinking. We know Chilwell - we know his appreciable strengths and we know precisely where he needs to improve. One area that I remain confident about Brendan is coaching ability. It would be complete folly to dispense with Ben for an unknown commodity, which is why the club is desperate to retain him. 

@Ric Flair @Finnegan...Gerard is insinuating that you are both hipsters! lol:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Wouldn´t it be better to accept a big transfer fee for a player that wants to leave, rather than keep an unhappy player in the squad that might perform below his standards because of that, and thus, decrease his value? Especially when there are alternatives like Tagliafico, Gosens and Alex Telles Available?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Line-X said:

It would be complete folly to dispense with Ben for an unknown commodity

Dispensing with our players for big money and replacing them with unknown commodities is essentially our transfer model

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As much as there are options out there to replace Chilwell, I can guarantee that we don't get the right 1 in.

There are more promising fullbacks out there that would 100% come here, as has been written down numerous times in this thread, but they won't be the ones we target. That's my worry. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lucashm said:

Wouldn´t it be better to accept a big transfer fee for a player that wants to leave, rather than keep an unhappy player in the squad that might perform below his standards because of that, and thus, decrease his value? Especially when there are alternatives like Tagliafico, Gosens and Alex Telles Available?

If he is set on leaving much like Mahrez and Maguire then I most certainly agree. If Chilwell does go to Chelsea I can't envisage it being anything other than a hugely significant signing for them.