Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

9 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Hope we sign him, because I can’t stop singing -

We’ll play,

Johnny, Cags and Fofana in a three.

(To the tune of Agadoo)

9 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

And Madders, Wilf and Youri T

Vardy scores with his arse to a Leicester melody !!:frantics:

I agree that if we sign this guy, we are likely to at the very least start the season with three at the back. Thomas and Castagne as wingbacks, with Benkovic as the central centre back (at least to begin with, until Evans returns) and Soyuncu/Justin/Fofana as the pacy centre backs playing as RCB and LCB. To be honest I wouldn't be upset with that, we played alright with three at the back, the main problem was we had to play Morgan, Evans and Bennet. If we have two very pacy outside centre backs with a calm, composed player like Benkovic or Evans in the middle, I think the tactic would work much better for us - Spurs only took us apart because of our slow centre backs, and Man United only got their goal because Morgan was too slow. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You’re blaming wes for hamza’s mistake ?  If you’re saying that a faster CB may have been able to make a better fist of the challenge then I’ll buy that 

and I agree that 3 at the back isn’t about defensive numbers - it requires quality and specific abilities to make it work effectively as part of an attacking set up

One of the most annoying thing in the modern game is watching the defensive midfielder taking a five yard pass off the CB and then turning to making a short pass - the CB should be making that second pass (as their first one)  and this should be part of drawing the press from the opposition to make spaces between their lines

back to fofana .........

Soyuncu absolutely would have snuffed out Martial when Choudhury gave the ball away. He is so good at cutting that supply line off.

• Like 2

Is this looking like a goer? 

I'm conscious we still haven't officially announced Timmy - I also he's currently with the Belgium squad - but I mentioned last week that I didn't think we'd sign someone this week and possibly only one player before start of the season.

I really don't want to be proven right...

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

You’re blaming wes for hamza’s mistake ?  If you’re saying that a faster CB may have been able to make a better fist of the challenge then I’ll buy that 

and I agree that 3 at the back isn’t about defensive numbers - it requires quality and specific abilities to make it work effectively as part of an attacking set up

One of the most annoying thing in the modern game is watching the defensive midfielder taking a five yard pass off the CB and then turning to making a short pass - the CB should be making that second pass (as their first one)  and this should be part of drawing the press from the opposition to make spaces between their lines

back to fofana .........

Yeah that's basically what I was saying. A bit harsh to blame Hamza when he's never exactly been a player to receive a ball in situations like that, plus the pass to him was a little weak.

I really think this one is happening. Fofana has obviously been having conversations with the club which led to him following our pages. He’s then realized it’s a stupid thing to do before the deal has been fomrmalized and the clubs have agreed. 

What it tells me however, is that the player and the club probably came to an agreement on what his deal would look like.  

If we had followed the rules his club would have had to agree to this, which means they obviously accept a deal will be done. 

Edited by Lambert09

1 minute ago, LestaLad said:

I know we hate to admit it but we’re witnessing a congerton masterclass.

Sign Bennett to lower all expectation to the floor then sign decent players? Not the worse tactic

Edited by Lambert09
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I really think this one is happening. Fofana has obviously been having conversations with the club which led to him following our pages. He’s then realized it’s a stupid thing to do before the deal has been fomrmalized and the clubs have agreed. 

What it tells me however, is that the player and the club probably came to an agreement on what his deal would look like.  

If we had followed the rules his club would have had to agree to this, which means they obviously accept a deal will be done. 

From people I've talked to at Saint etienne it seems like he wants to leave. We're clearly after the lad

8 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Good player, still yet to see a single signing that improves our starting 11.

Those sorts of signings will be very rare these days. We're at a point where nearly all players who improve us are either too expensive for us or don't want to come here. This is fine, though, as our first XI is very strong. Our main weakness is depth. We need a stronger bench.

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

Those sorts of signings will be very rare these days. We're at a point where nearly all players who improve us are either too expensive for us or don't want to come here. This is fine, though, as our first XI is very strong. Our main weakness is depth. We need a stronger bench.

There is another way.  Something that we have become very good at in recent seasons.  We buy young, highly rated players on their way up.  Players that we couldn't afford or attract in their prime but buying them young, they will hopefully develop and get there with us before leaving for a monstrous fee.  That is the model we should continue to pursue imo and this guy might just be the next one in that lineage.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

I know we hate to admit it but we’re witnessing a congerton masterclass.

We aren’t signing Messi lol but Fofana should be seen as a Soyuncu esque possible signing. His stats show his qualities and a lot French fans were calling for him to be included in the recently announced squad, he’d be a very good signing by the club. 

Again fits the mold of the type of signing the club is making.

1 minute ago, murphy said:

There is another way.  Something that we have become very good at in recent seasons.  We buy young, highly rated players on their way up.  Players that we couldn't afford or attract in their prime but buying them young, they will hopefully develop and get there with us before leaving for a monstrous fee.  That is the model we should continue to pursue imo and this guy might just be the next one in that lineage.

Absolutely. That's how we got here. There's no way we could afford players like Maddison, Soyuncu, Ndidi, etc. in their prime. We just need to carry on doing what we already are doing.

• Like 2