Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Black

Newcastle in for Iheanacho

3 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

We should have started him more last season, rested Vardy and bought him on later in games if needed, like in the home Villa game before lockdown,  Iheanacho does seem to link play up better and doesn't get as isolated as Vardy. Could easily see him get 20+ goals in a season playing more. The comments about selling him reminds me of the time people on here wanted to sell Vardy to West Brom for 3 million, some where going to drive him there.

I hate it when Vardy is used as a benchmark.  His rise was an aberration, a freak occurrence.  We will never see the like again.

I think Nacho blows hot and cold which at least is an improvement on previous years which where just stone cold.

He's not reliable and just not quite got it.  If we can sell and have another go at buying quality I'd take it.  The clubs that are interested in Nacho tell you the level he's at.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

If that's partly aimed at me, I always backed Vardy. Go back to the thread years ago and you'll see.

I just don't see it in Kelechi. No chance would I ever see him getting 20 goals. He just doesn't seem sharp or switched on enough. In fact, you can come back to this post in years to come and quote that. As always I will hold my hands up if I'm proven wrong.

I was so excited when we signed him, given his record at Man City was superb but then again he did play in a better side with so many creative players. I think he's ok but there will be better options with the right scouting (abroad). 

£25m would be a good return for him but I wouldn't sell without getting another striker in, maybe two.

No not aimed at you at all, I just remember there were plenty of posters saying take the 3 million.

I think we are blessed having 2 great strikers. Too many people look at others who are linked, watch YouTube for 2 minutes and conclude they are brilliant.

Take Odsonne Edouard for instance, people are certain he's an upgrade on Iheanacho based on what?

I see Iheanacho as very good and getting even better, we've all got different opinions and I maybe wrong but I see him getting 20+ goals. Only hope its not for another team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

Not sharp enough up front in my opinion, looks headless chicken at time! Sell for the right money 

I guarantee you are alone on this opinion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

I hate it when Vardy is used as a benchmark.  His rise was an aberration, a freak occurrence.  We will never see the like again.

I think Nacho blows hot and cold which at least is an improvement on previous years which where just stone cold.

He's not reliable and just not quite got it.  If we can sell and have another go at buying quality I'd take it.  The clubs that are interested in Nacho tell you the level he's at.

I'm not using Vardy as a benchmark, I'm using the point that despite how undoubtedly good he is some of our lot wanted to get rid. I think we'd be making a massive mistake to get rid of Iheanacho.

I get your points and I'm not saying he's the finished article but I don't see how selling and hoping we buy someone better is feasible. What sort of money are you thinking about and do you have anyone in mind?

I still think Iheanacho can be a success here. It must be really tough for him as he rarely starts and when he does he gets taken off, even if hes playing well. And when hes on the bench, we bring him on when we are losing or need to score and expect him to try and dig us out the shit. He needs a good run in the side but that is also difficult as we dont often play with 2 strikers and Vardy is and has been our talisman for years. Iheanacho is still quite young and if he is coachable then Rodgers should be able to get the best out of him. Just dont bring him off at ht when we are winning 1-0 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

On 27/07/2020 at 09:47, Steve Earle said:

Arguably our best player in the opening 45, though he fluffed his opportunities horribly.

There's a player there but too often he flatters to deceive and doesn't convince that he's the man for the central striker role after Vardy. If selling him would fund a move for Edouard or Jovic, I'd sell. Perez can fulfil a utility role as a third striker/wide striker/number ten.

..not sure why anyone should think that Nacho is the man for the main strikers' position!!!

He plays off the main striker, he says his real position is at 10 so why are we asking him to play in a position that does not suit him?

15 hours ago, murphy said:

The rate of improvement from Vardy is a freak occurrence but the point remains that players can and do improve.

Take Sterling for example. 3 or 4 years ago I'd have been doubting he could perform well enough for us. Now look at him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..not sure why anyone should think that Nacho is the man for the main strikers' position!!!

He plays off the main striker, he says his real position is at 10 so why are we asking him to play in a position that does not suit him?

That's interesting that he's said he's a ten! Do you have a source on that somewhere?

If we can keep him happy in a bit part role I would definitely rather have him here.

Great impact sub/2nd striker if playing two up top.

we do need another option though as wouldn’t want to rely on him playing up top on his own if Vardy was out for any length of time 

18 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

That's interesting that he's said he's a ten! Do you have a source on that somewhere?

..sorry, can't find the article!!

It was an expose with either Leicestershire Live or The Athletic, sometime this year.

It went something like, "asked what position he plays", "he will tell you number 10".

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I still think Iheanacho can be a success here. It must be really tough for him as he rarely starts and when he does he gets taken off, even if hes playing well. And when hes on the bench, we bring him on when we are losing or need to score and expect him to try and dig us out the shit. He needs a good run in the side but that is also difficult as we dont often play with 2 strikers and Vardy is and has been our talisman for years. Iheanacho is still quite young and if he is coachable then Rodgers should be able to get the best out of him. Just dont bring him off at ht when we are winning 1-0 🤦‍♂️

Bringing him off at half time was the correct decision because he was shit and didn’t deserve to be on the pitch. His first touch was dog shit and a better striker would have bagged two in that first half.

The problem was, the substitution either wasn’t like for like or that once the the intro of the midfielder happened, the players stopped pressing which changed the shape negatively. They didn’t adapt to the substitution.

Taking Nacho off the pitch wasn’t the issue. 

The question you have to ask yourself is if Vardy picks up a bad injury does anybody really believe Nacho will come in and consistently bag the goals necessary that Vardy does in anything like the same numbers?

I don’t. For me he’s our third choice striker and at that only in a two up front not in 4-1-4-1.

We need to spend on a quality striker and that sadly doesn’t matter if it means keeping or selling Nacho. I’d rather keep him but if we need to sell to buy then sell. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

To me he's been one of the success of our season. He's improved no end. His control and link play is really impressive. He's also quite strong and tenacious in possession. Plus he nearly always works the keeper. I'm not deluded about him. But if you consider that progress has been made in the climate of continual rotation. What could lad be playing week in week out?

• Like 4

Just now, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

To me he's been one of the success of our season. He's improved no end. His control and link play is really impressive. He's also quite strong and tenacious in possession. Plus he nearly always works the keeper. I'm not deluded about him. But if you consider that progress has been made in the climate of continual rotation. What could lad be playing week in week out?

His first touch is sadly poor and I get the feeling the manager gets frustrated with him for not doing as he asks on the pitch. I do agree that he’s come on leaps and bounds and like the guy very much but this isn’t about sentiment it’s about if he’s good enough to be a consistently reliable alternative to Vardy in a team competing for top 6 positions which for me he’s not.

2 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Give him a new contract and start playing him more.

Or don’t?

We start 442 only when we don’t have the personnel to play any of our other three preferred formations?