Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'd rather win and be slagged off than lose and be patronised.

That is one way of looking at it but I just hate the lack of respect he has, especially in defeat. Nobody enjoys losing but it doesn't mean you should be a complete nob every time you lose. As good as he is as a coach, he really is a detestable person. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Listening to Bruce's post match interview, I actually wonder how much he knows about football tactics. He never brings them up, never talks about a style of play or intensity of the play. He seems very good at the admin side. He knows who's available and who's not, but that's about it. I genuinely think he has rough idea of the formation he wants to play, but past that he's doesn't actually know what he wants the players to do within that.

You’re not far wrong mate. Was always a very good man manager and motivator but that quality seems to have completely deserted him. Tactically he’s well off what you’d expect of a premiership manager that played at the level he did. Players normally like him but his tenure at Newcastle has been horrendous 

28 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Protest is fine by me but not sure why they are calling him a coward?

And "you are not one of us" a reference to being Sunderland manager perhaps?

You are not one of us is referring to Bruce repeatedly saying he understands Newcastle supporters he is one of them, he knows what the club means to them etc.

Coward I’d imagine is in relation to their tactics - go out and try and win a game don’t just sit back and hope to nick a 1-0. Or play for a draw against Brighton. 

Once he does get the boot, which will be sooner rather than later this is him finished as a top flight manager - unless he takes a championship team up.

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Far too far for me these days - but I had some nice times there. And I think their fans are quite funny. 

My Dad lives in the North East now and doesn't travel much anymore so its the only game I can get him to go to these days (apart from this season of course) 

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Fox said:

Coward I’d imagine is in relation to their tactics - go out and try and win a game don’t just sit back and hope to nick a 1-0. Or play for a draw against Brighton.

I think partly that and probably also in reference to the alleged training ground row in which Matt Ritchie repeatedly called Bruce a coward after he blamed a goal on him for not passing instructions on quick enough.

I feel a bit sorry for him because I think he comes across as an alright bloke and it can't be easy managing a team where all the players obviously think you're shit and all the fans hate you. Can't blame him for waiting for a payoff rather than walking and the problems there seem to run far deeper than him.

• Like 2

Bruce would get a job in the championship, but I'm not sure he'd be top of the list for clubs with promotion aspirations, despite having been promoted on more than one occasion. He was considered a good appointment by Villa when he first went there but I think football even in the championship has moved on since.

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Bruce would get a job in the championship, but I'm not sure he'd be top of the list for clubs with promotion aspirations, despite having been promoted on more than one occasion. He was considered a good appointment by Villa when he first went there but I think football even in the championship has moved on since.

Having said that, Warnock and McCarthy are still proving quite effective at that level. 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Just interested, why do people hate Newcastle? And no I'm not asking the Sunderland fan on here lol

For me it's down to the lack of ambition of the ownership.. Just  looking to survive so a sale is possible.

49 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Depends where he goes Bruce I dont think hes a manager that can handle big club pressure. With fans with high demands. He did well at Birmingham, Wigan and Hull due to less expectations. Them type of clubs dont care about the style of football as long as team is getting vital wins.

I actually thought Bruce will go at the end of the season but after the performance tonight, Ashley I think will be forced to make a decision earlier. Cannot see where a win or even draw will come from for the geordie.

Edited by Leicesterpool

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

Fulham v Newcastle on the final day of the season looks tasty, don't think it will come to that though, Fulham's run in looks difficult.

Newcastle 28 points

spurs h L
burnley a L
west ham h D
liverpool a L
arsenal h L
leicester a L
man city h L
sheff utd h W
fulham a L

Fulham 26 points

villa a L
wolves h D
arsenal a L
chelsea a L
burnley a L
southampton a D
man utd a L
newcastle h W

I've got Newcastle staying up by a point by beating Sheff Utd.

I agree on the whole.

For all the talk of Fulham's upturn in fortunes, they have 4pts in their last 5 games. 3 of those were against Liverpool and to be honest Newcstle or any top half championship team would have beaten Liverpool at that time.

Reckon something like 33 points could end up being enough and as awful as Newcastle have been they'll probably just about do it.

Edited by Nalis

9 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Not a prem game but after Everton had 11 men firmly camped behind the ball for 90 minutes today against Man C Pep says "it was a tough tough tough game, Everton showed commitment and focus". After we win 5-2 at the etihad. Pep "they did nothing, they didn't try to play football".

He's such a bell end i absolutely can't stand him. The lack of respect he shows to certain teams and managers is disgusting. They've won the league and the league Cup but really hope they don't win anything else. 

Love that!.. writing off The Spuds before the match is even played!😂👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Not a prem game but after Everton had 11 men firmly camped behind the ball for 90 minutes today against Man C Pep says "it was a tough tough tough game, Everton showed commitment and focus". After we win 5-2 at the etihad. Pep "they did nothing, they didn't try to play football".

He's such a bell end i absolutely can't stand him. The lack of respect he shows to certain teams and managers is disgusting. They've won the league and the league Cup but really hope they don't win anything else. 

Take it as a compliment. We beat them by nullifying their attack and beating their high press. Pep is clearly worried about us and doesn't like being outsmarted by Brendan. 

On the other hand it's easy for him to compliment a team like Everton who he doesn't see as a threat and with a manager who is probably an old friend of his and not someone who he is threatened by in the same way he is by Brendan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I agree on the whole.

For all the talk of Fulham's upturn in fortunes, they have 4pts in their last 5 games. 3 of those were against Liverpool and to be honest Newcstle or any top half championship team would have beaten Liverpool at that time.

Reckon something like 33 points could end up being enough and as awful as Newcastle have been they'll probably just about do it.

I think Newcastle will need 37 because of their goal difference....

11 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

He commonly praises teams who attack his teams - did at Bayern as well. It’s a total back hand compliment - he did the same to Southampton a couple of weeks ago. They played well blah..blah...won 5-2

12 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Is that Brighton’s biggest win in the premier league lol Newcastle are doomed 

It's their biggest win since the last time they won 3-0...Against Newcastle.

Almost 20% of their goals this season have been against Newcastle (6 from 32).

11 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Everton are seen as small time by Pep. He sees us as a bit of a threat and he knows we're a proper team. He's,just padding Everton on the head like the tinpot team they are, like he would to Burnley, Newcastle etc. Plus, it's easier to be nice to the opposition when you've just beaten them.