Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I was looking at transfers in 18/19 the other week, we spent £24m on Ward and Ghezzal the summer after Raphinia had scored 15 goals for Guimares - he moved to Sporting for about £5m lol 

We have had a few bloopers along the way, I suppose it hard to have a 100% hit rate on the transfer front. 

Denmarks game is being shown on Sky Sports Football

USAs game is not being shown in the UK

Northern Irelands game is being shown on Sky Sports Football

France U21s game is being shown on Sky Sports Football Youtube Channel

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

We have had a few bloopers along the way, I suppose it hard to have a 100% hit rate on the transfer front. 

With those two signings though it was obvious at the time that were frivolous and probably were the wrong signings, it’s not as if it’s the wisdom of hindsight. Ghezzal’s stats and the reaction of Monaco fans said it all. 

Ward, decent enough keeper but £12m on a backup was always far too much. I think you could level the same criticism as the Perez signing - some of the reaction on here warned that it seemed a strange signing.

No transfer is a guaranteed success but some are more dubious from the very beginning.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

With those two signings though it was obvious at the time that were frivolous and probably were the wrong signings, it’s not as if it’s the wisdom of hindsight. Ghezzal’s stats and the reaction of Monaco fans said it all. 

Ward, decent enough keeper but £12m on a backup was always far too much. I think you could level the same criticism as the Perez signing - some of the reaction on here warned that it seemed a strange signing.

No transfer is a guaranteed success but some are more dubious from the very beginning.

Didn’t we sign Ward at the time Schmeichel was being heavily linked with Chelsea (before they got Kepa)?

Wouldn’t be surprised if they were anticipating Kasper going to Chelsea and bought Ward as back up but with a possible view to him being able to step up to be first choice if needed

Edited by moore_94

While we are hating on Danny Ward, I saw him play for Wales against the US in the last window. He had one absolute howler trying to play out of the back, but in the second half he had some really good saves. So maybe he's a mixed bag. Not worth the transfer fee, but a more than capable backup. That said, in the form Kasper is in, most goalkeepers in the world would be a massive step down.

There's almost no chance Odunze plays in this window, so you are not missing out on USA - Jamaica. 

What's the deal with Northern Ireland playing a friendly between two World Cup Qualifiers? I've seen several national teams do this. Is this a cash grab? Is this a chance to get the backups some playing time in case they're needed in the 2nd qualifier? 3 international games in a week seems like a lot.

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The thing that pisses me off about Southgate is post the World Cup for a year or so we were brilliant. He changed to a 4-3-3 with the right blend of defensive players and creative and attacking players and we beat some proper teams. Then he changed it again and decided he needed to go back to 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders and we are absolute filth once again.

Yeah made no sense, I'm mean is there any need to have five defenders never been a problem conceding too many goals. Its scoring goals in tournaments the main issue.

5 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Yeah made no sense, I'm mean is there any need to have five defenders never been a problem conceding too many goals. Its scoring goals in tournaments the main issue.

I don't mind 5 defenders if the balance is right in the team. You can't however have 5 defenders and then a midfield of Rice and Mount or Henderson, its horrifying. 

18 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Ghezzal and Ward were both so predictable though.

Ghezzal had joined Monaco on a free and flopped. He had a break out season at Lyon and then did nothing for three years. Monaco were very much willing sellers and the obvious deal was a loan with an option to buy in such circumstances.

IIRC Liverpool had just bought Allison and Ward was now their 4th choice GK, there is no way they should have been able to command the reported fee.

I remember being highly critical of both transfers at the time. I've no problem with some that don't come off like Kaputska but both of these look destined to fail before the ink had dried.

Ghezzel was a panic buy.

Not sure what thinking was on Ward, I think his ok, but not worth the fee. 

14 app in 3 seasons and counting.

However we signed Maddison, Ricky P, Soyuncu and Evans in that same window, so I will let them off. 

17 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

To be fair to Ward, there was nothing he could do last night with the goals. Also I don't get the hate here. Getting a reasonable back up to a shoe-in in goal is difficult. And he's done a reasonable job for us when called on. 

Where’s the ‘hate’ for Ward?

All I read is that some people thought he was a bit expensive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Fofana starts for France u21. At right back according to Flashscore's lineup.. 

That France U21 squad is unbelievable!

Looking forward to seeing Wahid Faghir as well, we tried to sign him twice before the transfer rule change.

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That France U21 squad is unbelievable!

Looking forward to seeing Wahid Faghir as well, we tried to sign him twice before the transfer rule change.

What was the rule change? 

3 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

To be fair to Ward, there was nothing he could do last night with the goals. Also I don't get the hate here. Getting a reasonable back up to a shoe-in in goal is difficult. And he's done a reasonable job for us when called on. 

When Ward has played for us, he always seems decent. Quite good in penalty shoot outs as I recall. A good back up to Kasper is essential.

We have had far worse buys.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Still absolutely daft money for a back up keeper who was 4th choice at Liverpool.

Absolutely . Rule no.1 in transfer dealings - avoid buying from Liverpool . They’ve got fantastic prices for some unbelievable guff over the last few years . Just like we have :cool:

• Like 1