Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

That first team actually looks quite decent. I'd maybe go Pope over Henderson, but anyone other than Pickford. 

I also can't help feeling that we must have a better CB than Maguire, although none immediately spring to mind. It looks our weakest position. Stones is much improved, but playing alongside Maguire is not like playing with Dias

I know we take the piss due to the transfer fee we received but Maguire is a good player. England's evident weakness is in defensive midfield and the prat who's in charge. Stones and Maguire as a pairing works IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I know we take the piss due to the transfer fee we received but Maguire is a good player. England's evident weakness is in defensive midfield and the prat who's in charge. Stones and Maguire as a pairing works IMO.

Maguire is a good CB, but he’s just not that good. He did ok with us when he’d got a positionally good CB in Evans next to him. He also lacks pace and can get caught out positionally. With Mings I always think we’ll get caught out as soon as we play anyone that’s any good.

Stones is much improved this year so hopefully he can provide the ‘Evans’ factor. Your other points - prat in charge and CDM - I agree with, although Rice has potential and Henderson is often unfairly maligned IMO 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Maguire is a good CB, but he’s just not that good. He did ok with us when he’d got a positionally good CB in Evans next to him. He also lacks pace and can get caught out positionally. With Mings I always think we’ll get caught out as soon as we play anyone that’s any good.

Stones is much improved this year so hopefully he can provide the ‘Evans’ factor. Your other points - prat in charge and CDM - I agree with, although Rice has potential and Henderson is often unfairly maligned IMO 

The problem with Rice and Henderson is they need another destroyer/schemer alongside them rather than afford the team the ability to then play 2 creative central midfielders like Foden and Maddison or Mount alongside them and that's the issue. England have an abundance of class attacking midfielders and wingers and we cannot field that many of them due to inefficiencies in the holding midfield role and the managers tactics. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

So when is the discussion about the Belgian team going to start? :D 

Do we think Praet and Castagne will get much time on the pitch, rather than the bench? Will Youri outshine KDB again? :D  Anyone other than Lukaku up front? :dunno:

If England end up playing Belgium I will definitely be supporting Leicester. Same goes for Denmark.

• Like 3

On 16/03/2021 at 13:00, jeffschlupp said:

No Ricardo in the Portugal squad - Cedric Soares and Joao Cancelo are the right-backs in the squad

Hopefully that doesn't mean his injury is serious

Their manager doesn't seem to rate him anyway. Was behind Semedo last year lol. If he's not injured and Cedric is picked ahead of him then I'd bin off internationals until the manager changes if I was Ricardo. That's just a joke.

5 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Not sure how reliable this site/source is

But it states that Wilf and Nacho will not be going away for the international break. :appl:

https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2021/03/17/iwobi-ndidi-iheanacho-simon-collins-osimhen-two-others-out-of-super-eagles-squad-for-afcon-qualifiers/

Looking at it, Nigeria need 1 point from 2 games to qualify. They play Benin first where they both qualify with a draw.....

Looking at some of the predicted line ups above, I'm not sure if I can be bothered supporting England in the summer. If they're correct the team will be Big 6 United plus Grealish. As I spend the entire year hoping that the Big 6 lose every match unless there is some benefit for us in them winning, it's very hard to switch to wanting them to win all of a sudden. It'll certainly be very disappointing indeed if none of our players even make the squad, given how well we've been doing over the past 2 seasons.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Evans named in Northern Ireland squad for games away in Italy, and Home to USA and Bulgaria

I’m just not sure why he hasn’t retired. After they failed in their last qualification bid it would have made sense to let some new blood take over. He’s not going to hold the spot forever and the timing made sense.

probably the biggest worry of all of our int players 

Evan's must stop playing internationals. He always gets injured either in training or the games. He has known back issues and has just come back into the city lineup. If I were Rogers I'd try every trick to keep him from going. We only have 10 games left and another injury could mean missing half or more of these games. This madness has to stop. Evans should also consider his age and history and decide if he wants a longer club career or international. He can't seem to have both anymore. Glad to hear we won't lose N'didi and Nachos. Youre & Timmy worries me going back to Belgium we need them both fit & healthy for Leicester. Dennis I doubt will get selected as he's only just recovered.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Evans named in Northern Ireland squad for games away in Italy, and Home to USA and Bulgaria

Well his partner will probably be Craig Cathcart and hardly a spring chicken (football wise!) who hasn't played in weeks so basically they are relying on those 2 at the back even if both have been injured.

I wonder how many of your England hopefuls would have been in the squad had they been fit - all 3?

Particularly as they were in form too. 

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Always feel a player Southgate favours is always a good run off games away from being recalled, compared to new faces who need to be electric consistently to even get a chance

Yep.

It was mentioned that Maddison was out because of injury- I doubt he was getting in. Justin may've had a chance and that was it from us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Yep.

It was mentioned that Maddison was out because of injury- I doubt he was getting in. Justin may've had a chance and that was it from us.

Too be fair he name checked Maddison and Barnes . Whilst talking about how Jessie Lingard was lucky to get back in .. 

“Jesse is more fortunate to be in,” said Southgate. “We’ve got injuries in the attacking areas that have opened up an opportunity for Jesse.

“His performances for West Ham have been excellent, but ideally you’d be saying he needs to do it for a bit longer.

“That’s not been the option this time around. We’ve lost the likes of Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho, and then one or two others that haven’t been with us and that have been performing well, like Harvey Barnes and James Maddison.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Looks like Papy Mendy has been called up by Senegal:

http://www.fsfoot.sn/liste-des-26-joueurs-selectionnes-pour-les-rencontres-internationales-congo-vs-senegal-et-senegal-vs-eswatini/

They also dished out call ups to Abdou Diallo (PSG) and Fodo Ballo-Toure (Monaco) so they've beefed up a bit defensively there.

Interesting, that would be his debut for them having played for France youth teams upto U21 level 

Just now, FoxesWalk said:

Interesting, that would be his debut for them having played for France youth teams upto U21 level 

Yes it would be. I noticed because I jumped onto Wiki to get a stat for one of our players to settle a debate and saw the Senegalese flag next to his name so did a quick Google.

For Mendy, if he wants to add international football to his CV it's likely his best opportunity to do so. He's not getting anywhere near the France squad, so at 28 this looks like a good move for him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, crisp packet said:

Too be fair he name checked Maddison and Barnes . Whilst talking about how Jessie Lingard was lucky to get back in .. 

“Jesse is more fortunate to be in,” said Southgate. “We’ve got injuries in the attacking areas that have opened up an opportunity for Jesse.

“His performances for West Ham have been excellent, but ideally you’d be saying he needs to do it for a bit longer.

“That’s not been the option this time around. We’ve lost the likes of Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho, and then one or two others that haven’t been with us and that have been performing well, like Harvey Barnes and James Maddison.

Barnes may be considered, I think Maddison is in if there's a real shortage.