Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Arsenal (H) Carabao Cup

59 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I can never subscribe to the sentiment that I “can’t be arsed about this trophy”. Leicester City’s honours over their entire 136 year history read: 1 PL title and 3 League Cups. I was at Hillsborough for the win against Middlesbrough and at Wembley for the win against Tranmere and wouldn’t swap those moments for anything - other than perhaps the Andrea Boccelli stuff in 2016.

For practical purposes I’d pick a fringe team with the likes of Thomas and Ward included. I’d also use it to get fitness into the legs of players like Maddison, but I’d still pick a well balanced side.

I get it’s not the priority and would approach it in that way, but will still be disappointed if we lose just like any LCFC game. We can start getting all ‘Billy Big Bollocks’ about it when we’ve put a few more trophies in the cabinet. 

I think this season is perhaps a lot different to others due to what's been happening. We haven't got a full contingent of players unlike the usual start off a season and really can't afford to get our better one's injured. Prioritising is not the same as can't be bothered or being Billy Big Bollocks. The Premiership has to come first as it's every club's bread and butter. Then Europe, then FA Cup, this really is a poor 4th. Its the Premiership and Europe that will earn money and attract better players for the club from a pure business angle which will always come first over a nice day out at a Micky Mouse cup final for supporters. Rodgers can wrap it up all he likes with his reasoning about playing fringe players but, essentially he is prioritising and quite right too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think this season is perhaps a lot different to others due to what's been happening. We haven't got a full contingent of players unlike the usual start off a season and really can't afford to get our better one's injured. Prioritising is not the same as can't be bothered or being Billy Big Bollocks. The Premiership has to come first as it's every club's bread and butter. Then Europe, then FA Cup, this really is a poor 4th. Its the Premiership and Europe that will earn money and attract better players for the club from a pure business angle which will always come first over a nice day out at a Micky Mouse cup final for supporters. Rodgers can wrap it up all he likes with his reasoning about playing fringe players but, essentially he is prioritising and quite right too.

I agree with most of this, but it’s this bit that I object too.

This view has been put into people’s heads by supporters of the biggest clubs to deride supporters of clubs like ours. Put the reserves out in the two cups and then claim bigger priorities when it all goes wrong. 

Despite this it’s invariably the biggest clubs that win the cups and there doesn’t seem to be much derision from players and supporters when they’re holding up trophies. 

I agree that we should rotate and prioritise  elsewhere. What I don’t agree with is the “I don’t care” or “this is a crap cup anyway” brigade. If we won an FA Cup and a League cup in the next five years it would be the most successful era in our history and prove that the PL title wasn’t just a one off. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Ward 

Daley-Campbell Knight  Another CB  Thomas 

Hamza

Maddison KDH 

Under (if able)/Albrighton Nacho Gray 

Tavares on the bench, Maddison off at 60min mark.

This. I wouldn't touch the first team starters in this cup at all, especially Cags, JJ (poss), Mendy etc. 

I wouldnt want this fluidity of the current first team to get knocked out of shape in these games.

Grey - i really would run this years contract down and keep him as an emergency backup in these games or as and when needed.

Yeah I'm usually well on the "play to win the competition" train and asking those who want out of the cups whether they'd be at Wembley if we got to a final usually. But this ain't no ordinary season.

We're in for a haul, an epic effort required all round and I want us strong in the league and the Europa League. With the horrific schedule we've got coming up, I'm not sure we need this, so I'd be all for dipping out of it ASAP too. Which means we're 100% going to win it.

Given the Europa League, I can't imagine we'll be fussed about the cup this year. That said if Arsenal and Liverpool (if we win) put out young sides, then they're no tougher draw than a midtable side that would take it seriously.

I'd like to see Ward, Thomas, Choudhury, Iheanacho etc play, but don't take the piss with changes or we could get humped.

4 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Don't get the negativity around the League Cup. It's a competition with resonance for our club and we should respect that. 

OK, it's likely to be a busy season,  but we've finally got a decent squad and it's not that much of an extra workload to potentially win something significant. 

Success breeds success and gives players not automatically in the first X1 a good chance to show their quality. 

Thing is, we don’t have a decent squad as the end of last season proved. We have a great first team but the backups drag us down to relegation levels if we have to play more than 2-3 of them together.

With the Europa League this season, the Carabao Cup is the lowest priority so going out in the first round wouldn’t be such a bad thing, no point getting to the quarter finals before going out, knackering our squad by Christmas.

• Like 2

KDH is only youngster i'd expect, maybe Thomas if Fuchs plays as a centre back. 

Ward

Amartey

Morgan

Fuchs

Albrighton

Dewsbury-Hall

Choudhury

Maddison

Thomas 

Iheanacho 

Perez 

Could probably rest Perez but if anyone is likely to not play against Man City it is him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I agree with most of this, but it’s this bit that I object too.

This view has been put into people’s heads by supporters of the biggest clubs to deride supporters of clubs like ours. Put the reserves out in the two cups and then claim bigger priorities when it all goes wrong. 

Despite this it’s invariably the biggest clubs that win the cups and there doesn’t seem to be much derision from players and supporters when they’re holding up trophies. 

I agree that we should rotate and prioritise  elsewhere. What I don’t agree with is the “I don’t care” or “this is a crap cup anyway” brigade. If we won an FA Cup and a League cup in the next five years it would be the most successful era in our history and prove that the PL title wasn’t just a one off. 

Yes that's a fair point, but it has worked the other way on here at times in that certain individuals call for the strongest team to be put out. I think the balance is to be found in the word priority and this case, it's the last out of 4. 

• Like 1