Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Arsenal (A) Match Thread - 25/10/2020

Never going to get a result by being so negative. There’s very little point in playing so many midfielders if we’re just surrendering the ball. Put Iheanacho on for Tielemans and go 532.

Going in 0-0 the only positive thing about that half.

I've no issue with the setup on paper but in practice it's failing in absolutely everything saving for having a lot of bodies around the ball defensively in central areas.

There is no point playing Barnes up front if there is no willingness to even look to spring him away on the odd occasion we have won the ball. Similarly, in possession, we're not working anywhere near hard enough - nobody has any options, we're willing to play teammates into trouble, and it's taking 5 passes maximum before we just turn over the ball. 

Playing that way, Iheanacho would do a far better job than Barnes, at least he can hold the ball up some of the time. Not even sure Vardy makes much of a difference here apart from maybe changing the mentality of the Arsenal defence. Main thing is we need to be far braver in possession of the ball, we're simply waiting to concede with the way the game is unfolding.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Well, not much to say about that’s, Brendans plan is probably working but we are quickly becoming the dullest team in the division.

Plan is not working. Arsenal is going to score soon with all the crosses they are free to send in. Defensively we are bad.

Offensive non existent.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ronnup said:

Pleased. If we can get to 70 at 0-0 and bring some more fire power on that's great. Did people think we were going to go and outplay them? Get a grip 

Tinpot mentality there.

We’ve outplayed them many times over the past few seasons, this isn’t the Arsenal of 15-20 years ago. Affording them more respect than they deserve. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Such a werid game, I couldn't even tell you what we are trying to do!

One thing I noted, Maddison is at times playing furthest forward, see this picture below, with Barnes sometimes coming in from out wide, most of the time playing centrally. System setup seems to be a mixture of 3411 and 3412 (Christmas Tree). But I must say I just don't get what the game plan is other than to frustrate them... which to be fair has worked so far, though more from luck than judgement.

Tactics.thumb.PNG.25a6cf70ecf456c4d1da984bbb65a537.PNG

I genuinely thought that I’d been missing something and your tactical analysis would show me the genius thinking by Rodgers behind this performance, I’m glad you’re as confused as me. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Brendan wtf.

Barnes is not a number 9, my granny could have told you that.

You've wasted a winger.

Do we have a plan apart from let them score first?

Yea was morgan on for barnes and albrighton on for maddison in the 79th minute 

Just now, Dames said:

Tinpot mentality there.

We’ve outplayed them many times over the past few seasons, this isn’t the Arsenal of 15-20 years ago. Affording them more respect than they deserve. 

We haven't won away at arsenal since the seventies you wolly

• Like 1

We'll have our 10 minutes before this game is done. Barnes at centre forward hasn't worked and notice that he spent the last 10 mins of the half back on the left and Maddison central. Can't do that for the next 45 so expect some sort of tinkering by Brendan for our counter attack. Would snatch your hand off for a point at this stage.

Just now, TeaMen Tom said:

What they're trying to do is take time off the clock - and set up a 20 minute match once he brings Vardy on.

That is definitely possible. It does feel like a containment job because we aren't even applying pressure or trying to control the game. With so many midfielders on the pitch in theory we should have lots of possession but not do anything with it, but they are just occupying space rather than trying to dictate the game.