Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Braga Post Match

20 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

they both had a good game... Mark needed that - his school boy error allows a Liverpool cross for a goal - he wont do that again.  I always like his delivery into the box.

He actually did do it again and got booked for it after committing a foul 

Turned out quite a thrilling game and great ending.

Nevertheless, realistically we looked pretty average for large parts of the match, until the cavalry arrived in the form of Maddison, Vardy, Fofana and particularly Tielemans, with their last goal being against the run of play.

Thought Fofana was great apart from getting beaten for the goal by overcommitting, reminiscent of at Liverpool, probably something he needs to work on. Sometimes looks like he’s playing in midfield, and I wonder if that’s an alternative position for him when needed.

Anyway, fine result with Braga looking a much different proposition to last time. Perhaps our squad players aren’t quite as good as I’d thought.

Fofana did over commit to let their goal in. As a CB and in that potential fast break situation, he should have stood back with Evans to slow them down (which would then allow our other players to get back) instead of trying to be a hero to try to attack the ball - wrong choice. Trust he would learn from this though but it was a massive error.

24 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Didn't watch the match but the highlights they showed Kelechi and Under weren't passing to each other. Was that the case the whole game?

First half the ball wasn't sticking up front. Our chances came about by poor Braga defending/passing.

Second half when we brought the big guns on it all changed.

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

First half the ball wasn't sticking up front. Our chances came about by poor Braga defending/passing.

Second half when we brought the big guns on it all changed.

I don't think the ball went to the front. 

Rodgers deciding not to field at least one of our passing midfielders was a disaster. As I said earlier in the thread, the resting was too much of an extreme. 

We had two slow(er) CBs with a traditional full-back in the three. A midfield two which is combative rather than ball players. A striker who doesn't play with his back to goal. Two wingers who prefer to take on players rather than ball retention. We had too many ill-fitting parts. If we had one ball playing midfielder or one winger who looks to take players on or one slower CB, then the balance is still okay 

Delighted with a point and the consistent response to going behind 3 times in the same game, especially after the Liverpool game. Great spirit and belief, and worthy of Group Stage qualification. I think we've handled the demands of the Europa League games extremely well, with last night being the first time we were really tested. We've comfortably won both of the home games and not conceded, and got 4/6 from the away fixtures, having played the toughest team in the group twice already. All that with a depleted squad. Impressive stuff.

It also earns us the opportunity to rest and rotate players for the Zorya and AEK games which, with the congested domestic fixture list, is nice card for Rodgers to be holding if he needs it. With the next 3 fixtures in the league, we have the opportunity to pick up some good points too. It's almost like entering a new phase of the season switching from full blast on the tough league fixtures we've had and full blast on Europa, to navigating some of the - on paper - more straightforward fixtures, hopefully with some convincing wins, and using Europa to nurse the key injuries back to fitness ahead of the festive period where we will need everybody again.

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If we are counting missed chances then our reserves could have been 4-3 and still in the game, against a team who are certainly no mugs. 

I know it was en vouge to slate the squad in the summer, but I said it then that I think the squad in general is far stronger than people give it credit for. I didn't put our collapse last season down to injuries, because it started long before that and even the fit players couldn't string two passes together half the time. What also helps is Rodgers is being rather more pragmatic in his approach this season, and not trying to play the same style all the time. 

There were a few notable areas for concern in the summer, CB, LB and ST. But we fixed the CB problem with what looks like a masterstroke. And Justin has been coming on leaps and bounds, whilst Thomas has been steady and not disgraced himself. So whilst we'll need a new LB or RB in the summer to replace Fuchs going, the options look ok at the moment with Ricardo and Castagne coming back. 

ST backup is an issue, if we are thinking that the replacement is going to get close to Vardy. They aren't, and we'll be very lucky to sign someone who can get close to him. The replacements we do have aren't perfect and aren't Vardy, but they'd score double figures given a whole season up front. Which is respectable. 

Agreed.

Finding that back up striker is going to be the real quiz. They either need to be 18-20 who are happy to learn off Vardy and compete with Iheanacho for cup games and bits and pieces, an experienced player who needs a new challenge but is confident enough that they can make an impact when they play (Milik). Or the most popular option that clubs try to do is get a versatile forward who plays through the middle or out wide, but it's not easy finding one that is equally as devastating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

If we are counting missed chances then our reserves could have been 4-3 and still in the game, against a team who are certainly no mugs. 

I know it was en vouge to slate the squad in the summer, but I said it then that I think the squad in general is far stronger than people give it credit for. I didn't put our collapse last season down to injuries, because it started long before that and even the fit players couldn't string two passes together half the time. What also helps is Rodgers is being rather more pragmatic in his approach this season, and not trying to play the same style all the time. 

There were a few notable areas for concern in the summer, CB, LB and ST. But we fixed the CB problem with what looks like a masterstroke. And Justin has been coming on leaps and bounds, whilst Thomas has been steady and not disgraced himself. So whilst we'll need a new LB or RB in the summer to replace Fuchs going, the options look ok at the moment with Ricardo and Castagne coming back. 

ST backup is an issue, if we are thinking that the replacement is going to get close to Vardy. They aren't, and we'll be very lucky to sign someone who can get close to him. The replacements we do have aren't perfect and aren't Vardy, but they'd score double figures given a whole season up front. Which is respectable. 

Can't help think, it a little like replacing Mahrez, we could never one replace him with a like for like replacement, we had to improve the team overall. 

I think the same about Vardy, we can get a decent forward, but never one of Vardy's level, but if we can improve our wide forward by 10-15% we will be ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed.

Finding that back up striker is going to be the real quiz. They either need to be 18-20 who are happy to learn off Vardy and compete with Iheanacho for cup games and bits and pieces, an experienced player who needs a new challenge but is confident enough that they can make an impact when they play (Milik). Or the most popular option that clubs try to do is get a versatile forward who plays through the middle or out wide, but it's not easy finding one that is equally as devastating. 

I can't think of anyone to replace Vardy. What do you think of Aaron Connolly from Brighton, as he is quite rapid and not a bad finisher. Whether he has the composure or not is another matter.

1 hour ago, Wortho said:

I can't think of anyone to replace Vardy. What do you think of Aaron Connolly from Brighton, as he is quite rapid and not a bad finisher. Whether he has the composure or not is another matter.

He seems decent but not yet making enough of a name for himself. 

The striker I would love to see here is Patson Daka from Salzburg or Boadu from AZ. Both young and raw enough to have a huge ceiling in terms of how good they can become. I think Iheanacho will be moved on in the next year or so.

• Like 1