Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Spurs 2-0 A Post Match Thread

13 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

How many times did we get counter attacked? Maybe twice because we didn’t over commit going forward good game management 

Well they didn't really have a clear cut attempt, so i'd say we hardly got counter-attacked at all.  Those small margins make all the difference.  Having Wilf in midfield and Castagne at the back gave us those marginal gains.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

That's just it. This is not the Arsenal of old. Since Usmanov took control they've gone pretty much yellow pack. Trying to sign players on the cheap and make them into a team.

Wenger was hounded out which was a disgrace. 

...Usmanov is very much aligned with Everton having sold his shares to Kroenke for £550m!!!

Wengers' tenure in the end became somewhat toxic, with demonstrations taking place before games asking for him to step down.

Arsenal held him in position far too long, they were right to get him out, their only problem is not getting in the right person to take over the role.

Like Leicester Tigers, getting rid of Cockerill was the right move, things were already going down hill under his watch. The problem is the Board failed to bring in a structure and Head Coach who had the experience and courage to take the club forward. The big problem is the Board in both cases, if they do not know what they are doing then how can they make the correct appointments.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I was reading a footy history book the other day that said this:

In the 1948 FA Cup Semi-Final, Blackpool beat Spurs 3-1 with a Mortensen hattrick. After the defeat, Spurs, who had been pushing for promotion, faded in the League, too. As Julian Holland put it in his Spurs history: ‘Paws buttered, they then slipped rung by rung down the league ladder’.

The book he's referring to was written in 1956!   It's in the Spurs genes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Really pleasing performance. A season where we’ve won away to Man City, Arsenal, and now Spurs and we haven’t been there to see it!! Ndidi excellent, and the development of Justin has to be one of the most pleasing aspects of the season so far. Delighted to see how we managed to contain and nullify Kane and Son. Another top away performance. 🦊💙

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buce said:

I've never met Harry Kane or heard anything bad about him, but for some reason I absolutely loathe him. I guess I'm just a bad person.

Don't know the bloke, only interviewed him a couple of times, but people who deal with Kane a fair bit say he's an absolute gent, down to earth, family man, keen to do stuff in community etc.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Countryfox said:

You know I love ya Peaky ..   you have a great night too ...  :thumbup:

P. S ..   I’m in a happy pissed state ...   

Its a great state to be. 

Here's hoping you all got a bollocking for snoring on the sofa, then went back to snoring on the sofa for another hour. 

This is what Sundays were made for. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack1993 said:

This morning I was resigned to losing so I didn’t give too much thought to the game, went for a walk near fosse park, went to the tip because it’s Sunday... then Vardy scored so I had a cheeky little bottle of beer, then we scored again... and then we won so I returned to the fridge a few times and now I’ve found myself half cut, standing in the freezing cold clapping 250 tractors going driving through my village with Christmas lights on! 

not sure if anyone else in south Leicestershire has had a similar day 😂

Them tractors are ace. The only way it could have been better for me is if I saw it half pissed after watching Leicester beat spurs away. 

Mind you, still think falling asleep on the sofa was the right choice for me. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

Seen some discussion on the setup, looked like a slightly lopsided 3atb to me. Average positions seem to have Marc and Timmy as high up as each other, although I must admit Madders seemed to be playing more central a lot of the time. 

whatever you want to call it it worked, it’s the players not systems that win games, and we out fought them all over the pitch today. Seemed a lot more solid and physical with the likes of evans and Castagne back and wilf in the middle. As much as Fuchs is a hero he hasn’t got the legs anymore as a regular starter.

6A4B4E90-D8EC-402E-A6FC-63D624D57B3B.jpeg

It’s good to discuss this stuff so we can work out what’s going on. My take on things:

- Started with a 433. Usually in this system the CDM drops back when attacking slightly ahead of the CBs to make a back 3 so both fullbacks can attack. But instead we left Ndidi up and it was Justin that sat. Why? Because Kane plays as a “withdrawn” striker under Mourinho who feeds their wide forwards on the break. This meant Ndidi could disrupt Kane and Justin / Albrighton could double up on Son as per the MOTD2 analysis. 

- Immediately after going 2 up, Rodgers substituted Castagne for Amartey. But he didn’t just switch personnel, he changed the system. Justin went to left back (hence his average pitch position looking weird) and had a back 3 of Amartey, Fofana and Evans. Possession stats then flipped and Spurs ended the match with 56% possession. But what did they do with it? Nothing because we forced them wide and headed out anything that was crossed in. Quite similar to what Everton just did to us in truth. 

Spurs have not played attractive football this season but have been efficient. They play a deepish block that is hard to break down and rely on lightning quick counters from playing the ball to Kane on the halfway line to feed Son or another wide forward with a one touch pass. We successfully nullified Kane and Son and took our chance when presented with one with the penalty. Many teams will copy this blueprint because Spurs looked totally out of ideas in searching for a way back into the match. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Don't know the bloke, only interviewed him a couple of times, but people who deal with Kane a fair bit say he's an absolute gent, down to earth, family man, keen to do stuff in community etc.

The only problems we've got with Kane is that he plays for Spurs :P  (TBH, as good as he can be, he deserves to join a team that can win something :P;) )

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, hejammy said:

I agree he has, but just looking to the future and the way we play, as good as Evans is defending, he slows down our play too much. When he gets it 9 times out of 10 he's looking for a sideways or backwards pass. We need a player like Cags who looks to pass forward as soon as possible. 

As a Northern Ireland fan and having watched this guy many many times I have to disagree with your interpretation that he slows play down! From my perspective it seems evans will wait to play the ball when his teammate has moved into the correct position to receive it but also to draw the opponent in Im order to create more space for the team! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A close family member is good with friends with their (Spurs) media relations manager. Kane is apparently, really sound. As is Dele. 

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Started with a 433.

I don't think that's entirely accurate, to be honest. Nor is it right to say it was entirely 5atb.

When the ball was outside of Justin's sphere of influence (particularly when it was on our left side but equally when it was just high up the pitch) he lined up as a centre half in a flat 3 sitting in alongside Fofana. 

When the ball was in the midfield, he was given licence to press and engage the ball, a lot like Fofana is when he plays on that right side of the three normally. 

When the ball was on our right, he sat in like a conventional full back with Albrighton ahead to double on Son, knowing Reguilon would barely be allowed past half way a la Christian Fuchs circa 2015.

I don't fundamentally disagree with the rest of what you put, it's fair analysis, but I don't think it's simple to describe it as completely 3, 4 or 5 at the back because the roles of Justin and Albrighton in particular were both quite fluid and Justin especially deserves an enormous amount of credit for carrying that out. Rodgers talked about the players being tactically superb yesterday and a lot of that credit is on Justin. Comfortably his most mature performance for us to date. 

• Like 3