Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

Strange man, he makes out that 5th is some minor achievement and the usual, we were luckyy to win the league. Definitely some jealousy as he tries to make the transfers look bad even when some where very good, but what he fails to reflect on is the quality of the current squad and the gulf in money and spending power of the six riches clubs. I think WH are financially better of than us.

Edited by Dorkingfox

19 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Lot of inaccuracies there.

And the old administration stuff comes up in the replies …..jeez, it was nearly twenty years ago and we did our penance in league 1.  the amount of debt we jettisoned was paltry in relation to prem league expenditure  (though at the time it’s obvs not to those who didn’t get paid). 

5 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

It’s literally impossible to get every transfer exactly right. Otherwise you’d have a squad of 11 very happy players who play every minute and win everything. Think our fans too forget that when criticising fringe players as failures sometimes.

Difference is our recruitment has been brilliant for nearly a decade to take us from mid-table in the Champ to Europe while West Ham have had one good season with recruitment to get from mid-table to just above mid-table.

This is spot on. when we won the league, we used a total of only 23 players that season. Once Claudio had made a couple of changes and we got a settled side we were very lucky with injuries etc and generally played the same starting 11, baring the odd suspension etc. and used the same subs (Ulloa, King mainly) week in week out. Now we have a much deeper squad in terms of quality, offering different options for formations etc. Some players will always get more game time than others but that does not mean that those with less are any worse players, just that they do not have the particular skill  set for a given style or tactics etc. Praet, for example,  has had limited pitch time recently, yet is still a regular pick for the no1 ranked international squad in world football. 

Just because someone is not getting a regular start does not mean they are a bad player, or deserve some of the dogs abuse that they get, simply because we may have a player that is slightly better in a given position or system etc. Ndidi is obviously quality and is generally rightly lauded here, however, if we somehow got Kante back, would he then be "not good enough" for us?

We cannot bemoan lack of quality in depth or having a small squad, then when new players are brought in slate them, or those that they have replaced, if they do not start every week or have a poor game, especially when they have not had a decent run in the side.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2021 at 19:47, bovril said:

The Cheems meme a few posts up is just perfect for Arsenal. Has any club lost respect faster and harder than they have? I thought for a time it'd be good for them to get back to challenging for the league as they are historically a very important club, but at the moment I have nothing but contempt for their fan base. I know social media isn't totally representative but living in London their fans are ****ing awful, never met a more deluded, clueless-about-football bunch. 

I suspect the vast majority of Arsenal fans are mortified and embarrassed by the antics of some and particularly those utter weapons at ArsenalTV. Be under no illusion though, that could easily be us - they walk amongst us

2 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

This more reasonable response was on the thread.

Leicester are doing something that we are not. They have invested well in there infrastructure and for the size of the club they have possibly the best training facility in the premier league.

My friends son who is 16 years old has just signed a 4 year deal with Leicester.
This young man ( his name is Ben Grist ) was on the radar of Man Utd, liverpool and Chelsea plus 4 other premier league clubs and Celtic.
As a family they chose for him to go to Leicester because they came across as the most professional set up.
Whether he makes it to the top, I have no idea but in the end he had two offers one from leicester the other offer was from manchester united.
That must say something about Leicester if a player is choosing them over man utd.

This particular kid made the national papers because he is the most sought after young player in English football

Our youth set up is more appealing than Man U? That'll come as a surprise to some on here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An Hammer of Noise & clickbait...

Strange in todays world.I Really dont care..!

From probably  25-35k posters.....we get upset by some. claret buffoon, who incompently  mis-uses and turns facts, 

Blowing Bubbles up his own arse to create his own agenda. and only because hes a Londoner..

sort of reminds one of our own forum...dunnit..

They're appropriately  living their dream.

I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high, nearly reach the sky,
Then like my dreams they fade and die.
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,
Pretty bubbles in the air.
I'm dreaming dreams, I'm scheming schemes,
I'm building castles high.
They're born anew, their days are few,
Just like a sweet butterfly.
And as the daylight is dawning,
They come again in the morning!
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,
When shadows creep, when I'm asleep,
To lands of hope I stray!
Then at daybreak, when I awake,
My bluebird flutters away.
Happiness, you seem so near me,
Happiness, come forth and cheer me!
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,

2 hours ago, murphy said:

2020/2021
Sell one of their own. Chelseas turn to donate 50 mil. For Chilwell
Buy Castagne and fofana for 55 mil. Rodgers signings which hes used for 27 games each

End of season still 5th 1 point more than useless West Ham 

Conveniently misses out the FA Cup win! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

And the old administration stuff comes up in the replies …..jeez, it was nearly twenty years ago and we did our penance in league 1.  the amount of debt we jettisoned was paltry in relation to prem league expenditure  (though at the time it’s obvs not to those who didn’t get paid). 

Also a bit rich for a WH fan to claim that we got an unfair advantage through administration when they were virtually gifted a stadium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dorkingfox said:

Strange man, he makes out that 5th is some minor achievement and the usual, we were luckyy to win the league. Definitely some jealousy as he tries to make the transfers look bad even when some where very good, but what he fails to reflect on is the quality of the current squad and the gulf in money and spending power of the six riches clubs. I think WH are financially better of than us.

5th in the league, FA Cup win and last 32 of the Europa League, all in one season- the only one they can match (unless you want to count the Intertoto Cup) since the mid-80s is the 5th placed finish.

Bizarre that he's trying to play down where we are as a club when they haven't reached this sort of level for decades.

Why are we (some) getting upset about a single poster on a single forum :dunno:

Who cares - the only thing that matters is what we do and not what some no mark says.

Like all things internet forum, there is some truth in what he says and a fair bit of rubbish. Our world is by no means perfect - football is cyclic and for the less financially well off clubs the cycle can be short. We are doing well, but if we are still here, competing at the top end, in another few years then we can begin to believe that we really have transitioned from where we have been most of our history to the upper echelons. We can do this and I'm an optimist, but its also fragile until foundations are well and truly laid

Edited by Jacnah
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's an unbelievable post.

Transfer windows are a complete mess with some 6 months out and others a ****ing whole year out, players names completely misspelled and game time all over the place. Iborra played almost 40 times for us, not 20; Perez has played 76 games over TWO years, not 3; his hilarious "The shivaddhanaprabbha specials " selection of Jakupovic, Diabate and Benkovic; Hughes, Thomas and Zieler as an example of some sort of failure includes two back up keepers, two youth players who cost thruppence halfpenny, one risk free kid from Ligue 2 and Benkovic, who arrived at the same time as Soyuncu - sorry, Soyunca - immediately went out on loan and is regularly injured. Those six cost a combined £13m tops - the bulk of that was on Benkovic and we got the fees for Zieler and Diabate back. Jakupovic and Benkovic are still here and didn't disappear on a free as he suggested.

As for our finances he completely ignores the fact we've built a training facility that doesn't have a portakabin. He ignores the skyrocketed income from winning the Premier League in 2016 (something his club have never won). He ignores the process we've made every single season, and this season ignores that we've won the FA Cup (something his club haven't done for 40 years), played in the Europa League and had one of the worst injury crises in the league this season.

Honestly, if you're going to slant us at least do your research, and when you do your research, at least get it ****ing right.

What a prat.

I'm tempted to just go on there and call him a moron. 

The last few years have seen morons being allowed a place in discourse. Nobody tells idiots they're not clever and, as such, their views aren't valuable. It stopped with the rise of inclusivity being paramount but we're worse off for it. We need to start telling thick people they're thick again, not valuing their opinions as equal. This bloke is a thicko and he needs to know it. There's no excuse. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, murphy said:

Also a bit rich for a WH fan to claim that we got an unfair advantage through administration when they were virtually gifted a stadium.

Nothing virtually about it. Our £32m stadium nearly bankrupted us because of our relegation and ITV Digital, the latter of which completely beyond our control. 

Meanwhile they started negotiations to move into a world class £500m stadium at a time when they were getting relegated, then managed to get it renovated specifically for their use at another cost of almost £300m to the taxpayer, and somehow manage to negotiate a deal where they pay just £2.5m a year for 99 years. All this at a cost of Leyton Orient, who are much closer to the site, and who later had a financial crisis and ended up being relegated out of the league.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, murphy said:

There is nothing clever or special about Leicester City or their owners. They are and will remain little Leicester. We are West Ham, we have our faults but less slagging off please. Don’t compare the two clubs and ignore our good signings and their bad ones If anyone of you really think Leicester are so great go post on one of their websites they’ll be happy to double their membership.

And no I don’t want to debate this further nor do i wish to see Leicester City praised on this thread ever again

Donald Trump Really GIF - DonaldTrump Really OhReally GIFs

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Jacnah said:

Why are we (some) getting upset about a single poster on a single forum :dunno:

Who cares - the only thing that matters is what we do and not what some no mark says.

Like all things internet forum, there is some truth in what he says and a fair bit of rubbish. Our world is by no means perfect - football is cyclic and for the less financially well off clubs the cycle can be short. We are doing well, but if we are still here, competing at the top end, in another few years then we can begin to believe that we really have transitioned from where we have been most of our history to the upper echelons. We can do this and I'm an optimist, but its also fragile until foundations are well and truly laid

I think there is a difference between "getting upset" and debating a point. That's what forums do: debate one individual point on one individual forum. It's an interesting, albeit totally skewed, perspective. 

Personally I'm more amused than upset 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I'm tempted to just go on there and call him a moron. 

The last few years have seen morons being allowed a place in discourse. Nobody tells idiots they're not clever and, as such, their views aren't valuable. It stopped with the rise of inclusivity being paramount but we're worse off for it. We need to start telling thick people they're thick again, not valuing their opinions as equal. This bloke is a thicko and he needs to know it. There's no excuse. 

I completely agree with your sentiment here. I don't think it's necessarily do with inclusivity - social media gave every idiot with an opinion a big platform and a bigger audience of similar idiots to agree with them. Before that thick people said stupid things to a few mates in the pub and would likely get told they were any idiot. Then we've promoted popular idiots from social media into celebrities and the tone gets lower from there. It's a hot mess and I don't know how you come back from it. Calling people out is a good start but it feels futile.