Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

Just now, OhYesNdidi said:

How’s turning over Spurs and arsenal an achievement :dunno: might aswell have mentioned half the league

Because they are the perceived “big 6” both clubs went further than us in Europe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FoxOfMelton said:

We shouldn't have to be relying on Burnley and Palace to do us a favour.

Not beating the likes of Southampton and Newcastle have put us into this position.

We won't get top 4, and frankly, don't deserve it.

Very frustrated.

It doesn't quite work like that though, does it? Liverpool and Chelsea can just as equally pick out 2 or 3 results that they 'should've' won. 

No one's been consistent this season and everyone has dropped points they 'shouldn't' have. But, by definition, we've done it better than 16 other teams. 

• Like 2

Just imagine if Burnley get something today. Surely Liv luck runs out soon. They’ve not been in blistering form as United were last year but they’ve got results. Surely, surely they drop at least two points before the end of the season. Come on Burnley.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

There is one other way we can qualify if Liverpool win tonight, and that's to beat Spurs by a bigger scoreline than Liverpool win over Burnley and Palace. If they win tonight and Sunday by a goal, we'd need to beat Spurs 4-0. Unlikely but we know Spurs love a final day implosion.

Or 3-0. We'll still qualify on virtue of more goals scored in season. Basically if we match their GD and they don't thrash a side 6-5 or 7-6 then we'll finish above them if we win. 

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What the last 2 seasons have taught us is that down the stretch at least 1 of the " elite " sides under performing will go on a run they should have gone on and that we'll never be gifted a top 4 spot.

Our squad simply isn't strong enough to not be challenged by that, we've been fighting for the last 3rd of the season with one arm tied behind our backs and yet we've not dropped off that much. This season we've just ticked over well, neither gone on exceptional runs ourself but at the same time nipped any poor form in the bud with a few key results. We average around 1.8-1.9 points a game, this has come down ever so slightly in the last 5-10 games but is it any surprise? We've an out of form Vardy and Maddison, Barnes is injured, Evans has had problems and defensively we go from the sublime to the ridiculous. We've no wingers to call on, our only options off the bench are usually Perez who has had one of the worst seasons I've ever seen from a big money signing.

We are still in this, we are progressing but it's not going to be straight forward however well we cope when teams around us don't for large parts of seasons. 

Agree squad depth is a big factor here. The squad looked dead on it's feet in late February when players were dropping like flies and those that weren't injured looked very fatigued due to being over played (Youri has looked knackered for months now!).  Lack of cover in midfield (when Praet was injured) and wide players has really hurt us, especially when 1 player being injured (Barnes) has resulted in us having to change our whole system - that's just not good enough.

You could argue that we've done very well for our PPG to not massively dropped off like it did last season - we're still on for the 68 points that many were predicting after we beat Liverpool back in February. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Or 3-0. We'll still qualify on virtue of more goals scored in season. Basically if we match their GD and they don't thrash a side 6-5 or 7-6 then we'll finish above them if we win. 

It goes head to head if we cannot be separated by goal difference, doesn't it? As they beat us 3-0 at Anfield and we beat them 3-1 at KP, they'd pip us on the goal.

Just now, Rusko187 said:

It goes head to head if we cannot be separated by goal difference, doesn't it? As they beat us 3-0 at Anfield and we beat them 3-1 at KP, they'd pip us on the goal.

I thought it was first Goal difference than Goals Scored, If these are both the same then it’s head to head?

6 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Do you know what's really sad, I'm seeing tweets from Chelsea fans saying they'd prefer Top 4 over a cup.... what's football come to, when a trophy is deemed inferior to being 3rd or 4th in the league?!

For the record, before all of this, I was of the opinion that FA Cup winners should get the 4th place CL spot and 4th place actually is Europa spot.

Sadly, I think for a lot of fans of the 'Super League' teams, Top 4 finish is more important than a domestic cup.

They're obsessed with money and their teams have won cups in the past. Winning the FA Cup to them has probably lost meaning. It won't help them buy Mbappe or Haaland so they don't see the point.

They're a weird Fifa 21 generation who just want loads of shiny stickers or whatever it is they do.

Christ, I'm old.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You have to realise the general basis of where those Chelsea fans tweeting come from. These aren’t lads growing up in London or on the outskirts. There’s no pride for them in locality or achievement. It’s all about one up man ship with other geeks on Twitter. 

It is horrific isn't it.

15 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Do you know what's really sad, I'm seeing tweets from Chelsea fans saying they'd prefer Top 4 over a cup.... what's football come to, when a trophy is deemed inferior to being 3rd or 4th in the league?!

For the record, before all of this, I was of the opinion that FA Cup winners should get the 4th place CL spot and 4th place actually is Europa spot.

It’s just the opinions of spoiled fans. Ask a Spurs fan if they’d rather get 4th place or win a trophy. I think I know the answer

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

This. Vardy off the boil for 5 months. Maddison not in fitness/form. Barnes and Justin out since February. Perez, Under not good enough. Mendy, Praet, Hamza limited squad players. Ricardo not the same player since coming back.

I think Rodgers is working miracles to have us top 6 and FA Cup winners

Evans in and out injured, Soy out for 3 or 4 months. Fofana out for a month, Ndidi out for a couple of months, Castagne out for a couple of months. 

We've been properly hit with injuries this year. We don't have the finances to chuck hundreds of millions on players like the big 6. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

It’s all bullshit they lost the FA Cup and they call it a tin pot, they will do the same when they get trashed by Man City in the CL Final.

Trophies this year Chelsea 0 Leicester 1 and we are back at Wembley for another day out in the Community Shield.

:beer::bounce:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

What the last 2 seasons have taught us is that down the stretch at least 1 of the " elite " sides under performing will go on a run they should have gone on and that we'll never be gifted a top 4 spot.

Our squad simply isn't strong enough to not be challenged by that, we've been fighting for the last 3rd of the season with one arm tied behind our backs and yet we've not dropped off that much. This season we've just ticked over well, neither gone on exceptional runs ourself but at the same time nipped any poor form in the bud with a few key results. We average around 1.8-1.9 points a game, this has come down ever so slightly in the last 5-10 games but is it any surprise? We've an out of form Vardy and Maddison, Barnes is injured, Evans has had problems and defensively we go from the sublime to the ridiculous. We've no wingers to call on, our only options off the bench are usually Perez who has had one of the worst seasons I've ever seen from a big money signing.

We are still in this, we are progressing but it's not going to be straight forward however well we cope when teams around us don't for large parts of seasons. 

Bang on ric. 

You’ll never make the top four carrying players, and we have been unfortunately. Perez being poor, Riccy being off since coming back, Evans with injuries, Fofana and Cags inexperience. The traditional 4 have depth, Chelsea have so much talent I mean look at their bench.... they can afford to carry players as can Liverpool.... we just can’t compete at that level when we have key players missing. 

What we’ve done this season again is remarkable.... it’s a shame we’re falling off but it’s inevitable, bigger teams will risk bringing players back who probably aren’t fit whereas we won’t. 

As long as we don’t lose key players and we can add some depth then we should be able to compete even more next season. And this time go for the EL. No reason why we can’t do well in that competition. 

• Like 2

It'll be disappointing to not finish in the top 4, having spent the whole season there.  But I'm trying to put a positive spin on it - with Vardy off form, and all the injuries we have (no idea if JJ and Barnes will come back as good as they were earlier this season - it's taken Ricardo over a year and he's still not reached his previous form), and Evans getting repeatedly injured etc etc - I'm not sure we'd be good enough for the CL.  If we got a difficult group we could easily be knocked out in the first round.  Whereas in Europa we might have a better chance, and the number of teams in Europa is reducing next season (from 48 to 32 I think) , so some better quality games and less fixture congestion I assume.  

That said I'd love to neat Spurs, because we've got tickets!

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

100% this!

31 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

That's rubbish from them. The reason they have to tweet that is because they want it to seem they didn't care. EVERYONE loves a trophy. Its the winning mentality. Ask Spurs if they would swap one season in the last 5 years that they've had in the CL for a FA cup, they'll take it. CL is money. CL is prestige. However, everyone wants their clubs trophy cabinet full. 

2 hours ago, Silva Fox said:

So many tears I've cried
So much pain inside
But baby, it ain't over till it's over
So many years we've tried
And kept our love alive
'Cause baby, it ain't over till it's over

Could have been written about us!

Need to get it played before the game

My admittance time on Sunday is 3pm

I'll be a wreck by kickoff

36 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

This. Vardy off the boil for 5 months. Maddison not in fitness/form. Barnes and Justin out since February. Perez, Under not good enough. Mendy, Praet, Hamza limited squad players. Ricardo not the same player since coming back.

I think Rodgers is working miracles to have us top 6 and FA Cup winners

Agreed,  but thought Ricardo looked sharp when he came on last night. 

The team looked flat though - depressingly predictable - but the steel we need to claim CL football isn't quite there. Still a wonderful season, and anything could happen on Sunday. 

Fancy us for a win personally, and the opportunity to show Tottenham what an actual trophy looks like. 

• Like 2