Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

I'm getting irritated by the media reports talking about us bottling CL again like last year.  This year is very different.  Last year we crumbled from January onwards, had the lockdown break, and came back even worse, with a more-or-less full squad (only Ricardo injured as I recall, from March).   We had a huge points advantage and lost it completely. This season we've been pretty consistent - dropping points when we shouldn't at times, but also getting points when we shouldn't as well.  We've won the FA cup, despite suffering a huge number of injuries.  The 2 seasons may end the same way, with a place in Europa rather than CL, but that's where the similarities end. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HoChiMinhFOX said:

I just hope if we do end up with Europa League again, we really give it a go and progress as far as possible. Saying that I still believe CL is on. So fingers crossed 🤞 but either way it's definitely a season we can look back on with great fondness and pride knowing how well we represented ourselves on and off the pitch. 

Totally agree with this.

I am actually a little torn as to whether EL or CL will be better for us at this point but what will be will be.

On the basis that the Europa League is for CL losers, is a waste of time (except for the winners), and that it could damage our prospects in domestic football, could City decline to take their place in it (even though we'll probably qualify for it twice over)? 

Like I said earlier the EL was shit but I would be saying differently if we’d gone deep in it. The shitness was inspired by Czech Burnley and how they went on so far despite being utterly vile. 

If we went on to win the EL next year it’s infinitely better than falling out of the CL group stages. Remember we’d be treated completely differently this time because we wouldn’t go in as Champions.

1 minute ago, String fellow said:

On the basis that the Europa League is for CL losers, is a waste of time (except for the winners), and that it could damage our prospects in domestic football, could City decline to take their place in it (even though we'll probably qualify for it twice over)? 

Even if I agreed with your appraisal of the competition, which I don't, the answer I believe would be no.

20 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

I'm getting irritated by the media reports talking about us bottling CL again like last year.  This year is very different.  Last year we crumbled from January onwards, had the lockdown break, and came back even worse, with a more-or-less full squad (only Ricardo injured as I recall, from March).   We had a huge points advantage and lost it completely. This season we've been pretty consistent - dropping points when we shouldn't at times, but also getting points when we shouldn't as well.  We've won the FA cup, despite suffering a huge number of injuries.  The 2 seasons may end the same way, with a place in Europa rather than CL, but that's where the similarities end. 

They've been waiting for an opportunity to run those headlines for months now. The real story should be how well we've done to remain competitive with the top 4, win the FA Cup with a small squad and 2 big injury crises

Really hope there's another twist in this and they have to back track

Even with top 4 unlikely, there are 15 prem teams that, over the last 2 years, would trade places in a heartbeat.

Even with Europa League, it looks like we are getting players through the door before it's even open. Meanwhile, Spurs have no manager, and look like having a summer of will he/won't he leave. Arsenal fans largely calling for a manager change, with players on huge wages underperforming. Couple that with every Big 6 fan base in uproar over their owners seeking more money, then the media trying to sell them Sancho/Haaland/Kane for £100m the next minute. 

We've lost players whilst at peak form in Justin and Barnes, lost players who've struggled on return, like Maddison (who was in fine form) and Ricardo. We've carried Vardy since his return. They all need a preseason. 

If its Europa League, we go again. We are mixing with the very best.

If you look at the clubs who might finish above us...i mean its not a bad season given their wealth. To say we bottle it is a bit harsh. We were and are punching above our weight.  We have the great first team to compete but we dont have a complete second team and that makes it harder for us.

Proud of the lads no matter where we end upwe won the FA cup! Success in itself!

33 minutes ago, HoChiMinhFOX said:

I just hope if we do end up with Europa League again, we really give it a go and progress as far as possible. Saying that I still believe CL is on. So fingers crossed 🤞 but either way it's definitely a season we can look back on with great fondness and pride knowing how well we represented ourselves on and off the pitch. 

I would be totally fine with sacrificing a top 6 (even top half tbh) finish in the league next season if it meant we gave the EL a really good go or even won in. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Decline only our sixth (fifth if you don't include the behind closed doors games of this season) ever European campaign? If we're declining invitations to tournaments because we're not going to win them, or because they've lost their appeal then there's not going to be a huge amount left to complete for. 

Success really does do strange things to some people.  

• Like 1

Just waking up in Canada and catching up with the posts on FT as I always do before checking the news; priorities! Although we are third favorites there could still be a couple of twists that work in our favour. I agree with the sentiments of many on here that if we finish 5th with an FA Cup trophy in the cabinet it will have been a remarkable achievement. Competing with the serial contenders, who are set up to buy success, is almost impossible to sustain on multiple fronts over an entire season, primarily because of the size and quality of their squads in comparison to ours. As a club, we are acutely aware of this and, although we'll never be able to compete on equal terms financially, the club has developed a plan that is sustainable. By continuing to improve player resources year on year through the recruitment and development of the best young talent around, we will remain competitive at the very top level of the English game, and when we do eventually make the CL we'll be better equipped to take that next step. Bad news for the 'big boys' as we are not going away! Start getting excited about our summer recruitment, which is already well advanced and begin looking forward to another season challenging for top 4 and, even if the gods are not smiling on us over the next few days, a proper tilt at the Europa League. How lucky and proud we are to be able to say that we support Leicester City! 

Edited by SixtiesFox
  • Like 1

I've still got a feeling Liverpool slip up. The question more in my head is if we beat Spurs or not (still confident, but it's all set for a Kane hat-trick).

Either way, we finish where we deserve, and 5th and an FA Cup win is an incredible season.

Last night highlighted the difference in squad depths between us and the teams around us, with it looking like Edouard & Soumare bringing that depth next season, there's no pessimism from me. Quite fancy us to win the Europa next year actually.

43 minutes ago, Ricey said:

On the plus side with the Europa League next season:

- Hopefully we'll be able to travel and attend.

- We have a coefficient of 32, as opposed to 22 this season, so pretty much nailed on pot 2.

- The structure has changed meaning that if we win the group we get a bye into the second knockout phase.

- Final is in Seville.

Yep. I think we should be aiming to win it if we end up in it. It's not impossible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Lets be honest, we don't really deserve it. I think injuries have largely killed us, Justin and Barnes are two huge losses in hindsight, since we lost both we've been poor in a good three quarters of games we've played in, and I include even the FA Cup performances in that as well.

Yet again, if Iheanacho doesn't score, what threat is there? Vardy I think next season has to become more of a squad player, 100% someone you'll still use but he can't be starting every game playing like this. Perez needs moving on, he's totally out of his depth.

All in all it's just a bad set up, one I think injury has forced us into to an extent but I don't think we've really found the solution to it. If we qualify now it's pure luck of the others being worse, but I don't hold out much hope now and I don't think anybody can say we really deserve it now.

It's just such a blow for it to slip away this late again. It's ridiculous.

If we finish top 4, we do deserve it. The points gained is enough for that position. Other teams not able to get those points to eclipse us means they don't deserve it. 

The Iheanacho thing is odd. As if it's used to spite the team. The fact is he is in the team and scored for us. Simple as that. 

Chelsea's highest goalscorer is a defensive midfielder who has scored 7 goals. All penalties. Do they not deserve it on the basis of that? 

• Like 1