Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

West Ham away post match 3-2

Very poor for 65 mins. They wanted it more than us and we handed them 3 very poor goals. Only kel, Albrighton (who was magnificant) and ricardos last 20 mins were any positives today. Played same formation against west ham earlier this season and had exactly the same result which was odd by rodgers. Just hope the last few mins fires them up for next week and onwards. 

Edited by North Leeds Fox

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

We are allowed more than one formation you know? 3/5atb does have value as proven this season already, will admit 4atb feels more natural to us though

A back 3 where you're asking your wings to push so high and not cover is going to leave so many holes behind.  West Ham exposed nearly all of them today.  3-5-2 is not a 3-7 despite the side trying to play it as such.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 18to18 said:

A back 3 where you're asking your wings to push so high and not cover is going to leave so many holes behind.  West Ham exposed nearly all of them today.  3-5-2 is not a 3-7 despite the side trying to play it as such.

Oh for sure, was a bad call today, but it has its time and place

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

We are allowed more than one formation you know? 3/5atb does have value as proven this season already, will admit 4atb feels more natural to us though

Its not just the formation but the style of play too, you can’t play the slow possession based build up football and expect any serious amount of progress with only 2 attacking players out of 11 on the pitch.  It works when you look to sit back and break quickly.

4atb feels more natural because it adds the balance needed for the style of play we’ve adopted. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dames said:

Its not just the formation but the style of play too, you can’t play the slow possession based build up football and expect any serious amount of progress with only 2 attacking players out of 11 on the pitch.  It works when you look to sit back and break quickly.

4atb feels more natural because it adds the balance needed for the style of play we’ve adopted. 

Yes, I can see that, there has certainly been no zip in our play when we have been using the back 3 of late

1. The Madison et al party thing was a distraction... esp as we needed madison

2. Four at the back looks less likely to leak goals 

3. Why do we only look energised with albrighton on? Since barnes went we have lost speed of attack

Longer term I wonder if vardy is still working his way back... or if this is the beginning of the end 

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

Rodger's got it wrong in the 1st half we played a high line to far up the pitch on the half way line giving their guys an easy route to goal.

• Like 2

Awful initial set up, looked clueless at times at the back, and eventually after 10 minutes or so in the second half we mix it up and look like a different side.

Conceding just before half time and at the start of the second half killed any chance of a win.

We’re a bit soft, aren’t we? Great when everyone is on it but physically and psychologically we lack fight when things aren’t going our way. I was getting annoyed at us taking slow throw ins and a complete car crash of a “clever” corner that took forever to set up (instantly lost possession and Riccy got booked) shortly after their first goal. Not good body language seeing what’s at stake and how important that game was. 

Doesn’t help with the captain being 60 yards away from where the captain needs to be, throwing fuchs into everyone.

I see a lack of leadership on the field - there’s nothing there to bring things back with pace, desire and aggression when the wheels are falling off. It’s all a bit precarious and delicate. I’m pretty sure BR has a “stick at it, keep doing what you’re doing” thing going on but there’s an element missing that would take us to the next level in my opinion.

The fact they didn't test Schmeichel at all just goes to show 1) how badly we gifted the goals to them and 2) how poor we were that we ended up going 3 down.

Some games you don't really mind losing because you can admit the quality is better (like Man City last week) or you just get outplayed. But it really, really grates on me when we gift goals to a team. It's worse when you do it once. Let alone twice like we did today. Think it was an even game before we let them score.

Various individual errors from players really let us down today. Gave ourselves too much to do. Regardless of the players that screwed up off the pitch, there was enough on the pitch to play better than we did before we got our own goals. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The fact they didn't test Schmeichel at all just goes to show 1) how badly we gifted the goals to them and 2) how poor we were that we ended up going 3 down.

Some games you don't really mind losing because you can admit the quality is better (like Man City last week) or you just get outplayed. But it really, really grates on me when we gift goals to a team. It's worse when you do it once. Let alone twice like we did today. Think it was an even game before we let them score.

Various individual errors from players really let us down today. Gave ourselves too much to do. Regardless of the players that screwed up off the pitch, there was enough on the pitch to play better than we did before we got our own goals. 

To be the fair the first was a bit of brilliance of the type you wouldn’t even normally attempt, never mind curl it so perfectly, and from a player who can do no wrong at the minute but who you know will be shanking those kind of efforts into the stands in a couple of months time.

The second, while there were defensive faults in the build up, was also just millimetres away from being good defending, whereas we were also potentially millimetres from potentially getting a penalty, not that they bothered looking at that one. Was just fine margins went against us.

The less said about the third the better though. Hopefully Brendan tears into all of them for allowing that, right from Kel giving the ball away.

I know XG is to be taken with a mouthful of salt rather than a pinch, but not surprised to look and see ours was better, albeit slightly (1.07-1.17).

Not saying we were great, but we certainly weren’t much worse.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Vardy really plays like his age atm.

....I suspect he is in two minds with his game at the moment!!!

He is very much an instinct player and he trust his knowledge and gut to predict what will happen. He cannot be himself as Nacho is relying on him and looking to feed off his movements and passes which makes him delay when chances come to him. At the moment we are limited to a formation that will become predictable the more we play and we do need to get the width to stretch teams for us to slot him in as the lone striker. The fact that Barnes and a Right Winger is not available has limited us and obviously the circumstances at the moment had an impact today 

Isuspect the team which finished the game today will be the starting eleven for next week.

Rogers moaning about how passive we were and not starting aggressive enough....again.

So what's going on then, is it the players who aren't listening to him or is he just saying it after the fact seeing how obvious it is that we are more times than not woeful from the off

• Like 1

We finished with the same formation we started with.

The difference was the emphasis to get forwards quicker was there in the second half.

We are far far far too passive at the start of games. It's the only reason our 2nd half/late goals stats look so impressive

53 minutes ago, davieG said:

Rodger's got it wrong in the 1st half we played a high line to far up the pitch on the half way line giving their guys an easy route to goal.

We’ve played a high line all year and been fine, we were just disastrous at it today 

6 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Rogers moaning about how passive we were and not starting aggressive enough....again.

So what's going on then, is it the players who aren't listening to him or is he just saying it after the fact seeing how obvious it is that we are more times than not woeful from the off

I havecwriten of the value of minfulness in the other mentality thread.  This is what they need

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I havecwriten of the value of minfulness in the other mentality thread.  This is what they need

I always appreciate somebody that has downed more than me by 6pm on a Sunday. 

I salute you Sir

Edited by EastAnglianFox