Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jruizc_

Castagne to Fulham

Good luck toTimmy Chestnuts, decent player who definitely showed glimpses. Don't think he quite pushed on to the levels we initially were hoping for.

Find it sad that players are wanting to leave us for the likes of Fulham and Forest. But I think (hope) in a year or so's time, they'll see how short sighted a decision that is. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

A combined £30 for Ndidi and Castagne would be an absolutely sensational bit of business. 

It would but if we were buying these two players we would also say paying £30m for the 26+27yo with their CV and pedigree is great business.

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

2 quality Championship players. 

A word of caution from my end. Overall our squad quality will be significantly worse once the window closes. It needs to be done, but if we return to the Premier League it will be a fact that sides like Brentford, Brighton, Palace, Forest (shudder) will all have squads that have significantly better quality than we do. 

We need to concentrate on the task at hand, which is getting out of the division. But there will be a lot of hard work to do next year. One positive aspect is we are using the loan market heavily, probably because the idea will be to buy better quality players next season if these ones are decent but not great. But for example, I suspect players like Coady and Mavididi won’t look anywhere near as good in the Premier League. 

But without sounding like a doomer, it looks that once the window has closed the squad will have had serious rejuvenation. It’s taken longer than we had hoped but it’s a fresh feel and quite exciting for the fanbase. 

True, but with a massively reduced wages bill and transfer amortization on books we will be in a good place to strengthen.

I think out 4 permanent transfer this summer so far, Winks, Mads, Coady and Mavididi can all be useful in the PL.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

A word of caution from my end. Overall our squad quality will be significantly worse once the window closes. It needs to be done, but if we return to the Premier League it will be a fact that sides like Brentford, Brighton, Palace, Forest (shudder) will all have squads that have significantly better quality than we do. 

We need to concentrate on the task at hand, which is getting out of the division. But there will be a lot of hard work to do next year. One positive aspect is we are using the loan market heavily, probably because the idea will be to buy better quality players next season if these ones are decent but not great. But for example, I suspect players like Coady and Mavididi won’t look anywhere near as good in the Premier League. 

But without sounding like a doomer, it looks that once the window has closed the squad will have had serious rejuvenation. It’s taken longer than we had hoped but it’s a fresh feel and quite exciting for the fanbase. 

I don't care who you are but the only objective for newly promoted sides is to stay in the division that first year.

If promoted and it's a big if, we start as the cannon fodder again.

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think out 4 permanent transfer this summer so far, Winks, Mads, Coady and Mavididi can all be useful in the PL.

Under statement IMO.

Plus Faes, KDH, Ricardo, Iheanacho, don't think Doyle is an unrealistic long-term signing either if we go up. Still think we've got the bones of a decent mid-table (minimum) 11 already here. It just needs to start to gel and start functioning as a truly united team.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Under statement IMO.

Plus Faes, KDH, Ricardo, Iheanacho, don't think Doyle is an unrealistic long-term signing either if we go up. Still think we've got the bones of a decent mid-table (minimum) 11 already here. It just needs to start to gel and start functioning as a truly united team.

Mid-table PL as a minimum? What is that based on? 

We’ve barely scraped past extremely poor opposition. Yes I know we will improve, but players like Faes, Coady, KDH and Iheanacho will never be the spine of team finishing that high. It’s a difficult league nowadays. 

Not sure Stephy is capable of the step up from what I’ve seen either…never mind stepping up to a team capable of finishing mid-table.

I would imagine Maresca would look to bring in a lot of new faces if we did go up…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Under statement IMO.

Faes and KDH are nowhere near premier league quality imo.

Getting out of the league of course is first order of the day but I think we will possibly need up to 8 new first teamers next season to make us competitive

it is weird that so many from the defensive shield of their key boards are slagging Castgne off.

I find it disconcerting that moving to Fulham is a step up for Castagne.

If he goes and Ndidi goes, then 

Castagne, Evans, Amartey, Soyuncu, Bertrand, Mendy, Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Perez, and Barnes will have all departed since the end of last season.  Seven of them would have been starters for us when we were finishing fifth.  Unbelievable how things went wrong last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is exactly why we need the young guys with options to buy as a minimum included in the deal or we need to gamble on a couple of young players on permanent transfers. Quality of the squad still very strong at this level (just look at some of the players who can't get a sniff) but we need to have those players who can make the step up when the time comes and now is the safest time to take that risk.

If we fail to bring in a couple more with this kind of profile, it's going to be a long season, next year if we do get promoted.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I wholeheartedly agree, we've not got much left that you would reasonably think could cut it in the Premiership.

I hope to death Maresca's system works because we'll be getting rid of quite a few players that could have otherwise been useful in the future like Kristiansen for example in a different type of play.

I'm still optimistic with the manager albeit that although unbeaten, we've yet to be convincing or play a half decent team with half decent strikers. 

Under Rodgers, although we finished 5th twice I always felt that the writing was on the wall because some of our results flattered to deceive ie we were playing poorly but certain talented individuals would pull something out of the bag and we'd grab some points. Now, those individuals have either left or are spent. If this system doesn't work or, we don't get the right players to execute the system then there'll be no place to hide.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

Just now, majaco said:

it is weird that so many from the defensive shield of their key boards are slagging Castgne off.

Castagne, Evans, Amartey, Soyuncu, Bertrand, Mendy, Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Perez, and Barnes will have all departed since the end of last season.  Seven of them would have been starters for us when we were finishing fifth.  Unbelievable how things went wrong last season.

They're a premier league team who'll pay more wages at present it is a step up. 

Some need to move on and accept where we are , I for one don't think we'll stay long and will enjoy every minute of this rollercoaster league. 

4 minutes ago, majaco said:

I’m guessing I wasn’t the only one to see Amartey and Bertrand and then count the other seven!? 

8 minutes ago, majaco said:

Who cares about these players though? They were all instrumental in the worst Premier League relegation of all time and most of them couldn't care less.

• Like 1

I liked the fact he was prepared to call out the soft boys club Rodgers was implementing. As a player he had his good moments going forward but defensively suspect.

£15 million is an excellent deal.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

What is that based on? 

(Perhaps overly optimistic) confidence in Maresca and a realistic view of what makes a mid-table Premier League team.

I think people have a habit of wildly over-estimating the quality of a lot of the Premier League. Just look at last season. Some of the absolute garbage in that league was staggering with most of the bottom 10 tripping over each other to all try and get relegated. I genuinely think our squad that went down was more than capable of being top-half, probably even top-seven or so with the right leadership, such is the size of the swing you can have with the right staff.

I think being well coached, well motivated, confident and fit goes a hell of a long way. Look at the difference in someone like Miggy Almiron or Joelinton under Rafa Benitez vs. the two of them now. 

Genuinely at a loss to why you don't think Iheanacho, Coady, KDH and Faes could all be at a mid-table Premier League side when literally all of them except Faes have done so already? To be clear, when I say mid-table, I mean mid-table, somewhere around 14th, 13th, 12th or above. I'm not suggesting we're going to go and assault the top 6.

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

(Perhaps overly optimistic) confidence in Maresca and a realistic view of what makes a mid-table Premier League team.

I think people have a habit of wildly over-estimating the quality of a lot of the Premier League. Just look at last season. Some of the absolute garbage in that league was staggering with most of the bottom 10 tripping over each other to all try and get relegated. I genuinely think our squad that went down was more than capable of being top-half, probably even top-seven or so with the right leadership, such is the size of the swing you can have with the right staff.

I think being well coached, well motivated, confident and fit goes a hell of a long way. Look at the difference in someone like Miggy Almiron or Joelinton under Rafa Benitez vs. the two of them now. 

Genuinely at a loss to why you don't think Iheanacho, Coady, KDH and Faes could all be at a mid-table Premier League side when literally all of them except Faes have done so already? To be clear, when I say mid-table, I mean mid-table, somewhere around 14th, 13th, 12th or above. I'm not suggesting we're going to go and assault the top 6.

Bottom half Premier League and Too Half Championship ….. is the quality really that different? 

I mean, would us, Leeds or Southampton really get battered by Everton, Luton, Sheffield United, Burnley, Bournemouth, Forest or Wolves? In a mini league of all of them, I’d expect us to win as many as we’d lose.