Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:04, crisp packet said:

Ignoring the fact that we've routinely been ripped for our away form.

The fact that Burnley are superb at home but awful away is quite interesting. It's obviously going to be pointed out.

57 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Ignoring the fact that we've routinely been ripped for our away form.

The fact that Burnley are superb at home but awful away is quite interesting. It's obviously going to be pointed out.

Also it's a bit thick from Dyche, the media love ongoing storylines that they can talk about. Narratives that develop each week. That they can use as a cheap and easy way to pass on their so called expertise. With Arsenal they have Wenger and Sanchez, West Ham the new stadium etc etc.

We have had loads of storylines for them to use this year first it was the contrast between Europe and domestic then it was worse defending champions ever then it was the threat of relegation then the Claudio and player coup controversy, then the mystery of the upturn of form and now the success in europe. 

Where as Burnley have had very little of interest happen to them so it's obvious why their away form draws more attention from the media than ours.

• Like 1

Form an Arsenal fan site: http://paininthearsenal.com/2017/03/21/arsenal-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-departure-damaging-mesut-ozil-alexis-sanchez/

Arsenal: Jamie Vardy Reservations Proven Wrong

Jamie Vardy has said that he does not regret rejecting Arsenal’s advances due to stylistic issues. However, his underwhelming season suggests otherwise.

Arsenal were on a desperate search for a striker last summer. Arsene Wenger, having recognised the shortcomings of Olivier Giroud – not that Giroud is a bad player but merely that a slight improvement in quality was required – was yearning for yet another world-class centre-forward.

There were many possibilities that fell through for a variety of reasons. A £29 million offer for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette was rejected, Real Madrid exercised a buy-back clause with Alvaro Morata before Arsenal had a chance to make their move and the consistent links with Karim Benzema never quite materialised as many had hoped.

Perhaps the closest to signing, though, was Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy. After a £20 million bid exercised a release clause, Vardy ultimately rejected the move expressing concerns regarding the complimentary aspect between his and Wenger’s style. Asked again if he regretted not moving to North London after an underwhelming season for the Foxes, Vardy stated:

“If I’d played like that I would have been in the same situation there, so no. No, not at all. The main thing was not to let it get you down. That is the worst thing – then you will just never want to go on the pitch again. So you just have to keep working hard. If you keep working at the things that worked well in the past there is a point where they will come around and start working for you again. It was hard but that has started to happen. We have started to pick the wins up and dragged ourselves away from the relegation zone.”

While only Vardy know how he truly feels, for him to suggest that he would have played as poorly if spearheading the Arsenal as he has been spearheading Leicester’s is shortsighted. Although Leicester are champions of England, it would be in North London where Vardy would be playing with the far superior calibre of player.

It is difficult to envisage how a striker of his lethal finishing ability does not take advantage of the creativity and attacking flair of the Arsenal midfield, even if they pass the ball a little slower and less direct than Vardy would ideally like.

The struggles that he has had this season prove that his decision to spurn Wenger’s advances was the wrong one. He may not regret the decision but he should.

Arsenal fans really are utterly demented aren't they?

from reddit:

"players that have won possession in the final third the most

1. Pizzi 10
  2. Neymar 8
  3. Aleksandr Golovin 8
  4. Kevin De Bruyne 8
  5. Koke 7
  6. Riyad Mahrez 7
  7. Alexis Sanchez 7
  8. Christian Eriksen 7
  9. Karim Benzema 7
  10. Jamie Vardy 7"

the only team to have 2 players in the top 10

6 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Vardy is right in saying that Arsenal don't play to his strengths, and that is a mistake a lot of players make, they think bigger club and go but don't realise that they might not suit you. I have even seen that with truly world class players 

We didn't play to his strengths for 25 games .............

• Like 4

19 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Spurs are a feeder club nothing more, they had their chance last season and blew it big time.

In the next 18 months the manager, Seagull Kane and Rude Boi Alli will be long gone and they will most likely suffer from new stadium syndrome before adjusting.

I disagree with this.

I said last Season Tottenham and Potch/Levy are building something good.

I don't think they'll sell Kane or Alli unless you're talking around £100 million mark each. They've got a good squad and only need one or two more players to become a real title contender. Teams generally do even better when moving to a new Stadium too... 

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I disagree with this.

I don't think they'll sell Kane or Alli unless you're talking around £100 million mark each. They've got a good squad and only need one or two more players to become a real title contender. Teams generally do even better when moving to a new Stadium too... 

Who are you basing this on? Cos Arsenal and West Ham certainly haven't.

14 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Who are you basing this on? Cos Arsenal and West Ham certainly haven't.

We generally haven't done to badly have we? Arsenal have maintained fourth place but could have won the League if Wenger and the board 'splashed' a little bit more cash

14 minutes ago, Ashley said:

We generally haven't done to badly have we? Arsenal have maintained fourth place but could have won the League if Wenger and the board 'splashed' a little bit more cash

Well, initially we did- our only season in the third tier was down to the rot caused by financial uncertainty.

Coventry certainly haven't benefited. It could go either way, really. They've currently got a compact, intimate ground where they are brilliant. Put them at Wembley and they're awful- it's all about whether they can adapt.

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Form an Arsenal fan site: http://paininthearsenal.com/2017/03/21/arsenal-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-departure-damaging-mesut-ozil-alexis-sanchez/

Arsenal fans really are utterly demented aren't they?

Bet he's absolutely gutted about being part of one of the stories of the season again here in the quarters of the CL.... compared to being 6th with Arsenal. It's currently no different to being at Everton. lol

29 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I disagree with this.

Teams dont and its usually rare - in the UK that a team performs better in a new stadium.

Spurs struggle to compete financially, for example are wage bill is far higher.

Whilst you would be talking a large number to unseat Kane and Alli there are many clubs where that fee is pocket change. Potch will be back in Spain in the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, m4DD0gg said:

Teams dont and its usually rare - in the UK that a team performs better in a new stadium.

Spurs struggle to compete financially, for example are wage bill is far higher.

Whilst you would be talking a large number to unseat Kane and Alli there are many clubs where that fee is pocket change. Potch will be back in Spain in the next 2 years.

Be interesting to see the stats on this, can you think of any examples apart from the hammers? I know Leicester got automatically promoted in their first season in the then walkers.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I'd say we didn't really do that great.

A decade in the Prem near enough > New stadium > A decade in the Championship near enough.

I know we instantly did well but still.

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

We did get promoted immediately but then relegated straight away, and spent the next decade in the Championship mid table, relegation to League One and then lurking in and out of the play offs until the Thais brought Nigel back. Building the Walkers (plus ITV Digital and Dennis Wise/Eric Hall) pretty much bankrupted us and left us in financial oblivion until Mandaric arrived to try and sort us out, which he sort of did despite Hollyway taking us down to the 3rd division for the first time. 

Looking back it's actually the best thing that ever happened to us in terms of what it led to - 10 years of abject misery until the Thais took over and started to rebuild, 5 years from then until we became Premier League Champions. It wasn't pleasant at the time but without that 15 year struggle we wouldn't be able to enjoy the lunacy of last season as much - we as fans earned it more than Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal fans will ever understand. 

• Like 2

It's a bit hard to quantify anyway - naturally a club moving to a bigger stadium can expect to do better off the pitch - bigger matchday and sponsorship revenues etc etc, and theoretically this can be expected to lead eventually to doing better on the pitch (except if you're Arsenal apparently).

But the notion that moving to a new stadium has a direct and instant impact on the performance of the team is a bit fanciful. Given the turnover of playing and non-playing staff at football clubs if a club starts doing better on the pitch 10 years after moving you can't really say the stadium helped the team at the time of the move. But you can say it contributed to the eventual success of the club.

The way I see it is it took 14 years after moving for us to have a season that surpassed our performance under O'Neill at FS and even Taylor's first season. We went up in our first season but that's not an improvement on the last days of Filbert Street. After that it was absolute shite. The last few years you could argue were made possible by moving to a bigger ground but it didn't improve the team.

Arsenal's decline to noteworthy also-rans swung pretty precisely on their move to the Emirates. Compare the 10 years before the move to the 10 years after. And this is with some of the personnel still the same. It hasn't improved the team at all.

Too early to say what West Ham's move will do for the club but it sure as hell ain't improved the team.

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

http://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/5122/

An interesting read. Detailed tactical analysis of our game against Sevilla. It's a nice retort to the snakes argument anyway.

Good article ..... You see it yourself but always interesting to read the analysis. I often have wondered what the trigger was to change between accepting opposition possession to a very intense press to win the ball back.

On 3/21/2017 at 12:40, m4DD0gg said:

Spurs are a feeder club nothing more, they had their chance last season and blew it big time.

In the next 18 months the manager, Seagull Kane and Rude Boi Alli will be long gone and they will most likely suffer from new stadium syndrome before adjusting.

I don't know how some of our fans can be so bitter about a team we beat to the title. 

Last season we had 13 penalties. This season we've had 6 penalties so far (scoring 4). 

Surprisingly Bournemouth have been awarded most penalties.