Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wokinghamfox

Inler

Well Inler has played mid table in Italy for a decent proportion of his career and Shaqiri was clearly going to take a step down from europes bigger hitters after struggling for pitch time..... but that's not really the point I was making. The league,  despite the money involved in it and the big names. clearly isn't holding up against the rest of Europe as well as it was when we regualarly getting teams into the latter stages if European competition, a team is a lot more than the some of it's parts.

We'll agree to disagree. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich knock out an English team every year of the Champions League for the past 3 seasons and before that Chelsea won it. It's hard to compete with Messi, Ronaldo and the team that can have any player in Germany they want. Italy are behind England in the coefficient and probably would be further behind if English clubs actually cared about the Europa League.

It's a bit off topic now anyway.

I think you make my point really. Is Inler a 'Ferrari' needing a bit of a tune-up?

I ask again (genuine question) is he so good that we absolutely must include him each week in our first team? For me a Ferrari (even an older one) implies absolute top notch.

And to liken King to a Renault Modus is a bit harsh! lol

Ric Flair makes some great points in this thread and I tend to agree with him mostly.

I reiterate it's not about whether Inler is an accomplished player or not. He is. End of debate.

It's about whether he will 'fit' in the breakneck speed of the Premiership and whether he will fit with our style of play.

I wouldn't want to see us slowing our play down to accommodate one man.

We'll see.

This. We cannot carry any passengers. Us of all teams need all hands on deck flat out because that is our modus operandi where we succeed.

I know we shouldn't be judging solely on the Villa game, but he looked so heavy legged and slow it was hard to believe he is fit. He just jogged back behind their player who pulled it back for the second goal. This fitness factor however was addressed by Ranieri a few weeks ago when he said his 'recovery numbers' were indicating he was fit enough to start.

He really did look like he'd spent the last few years playing in Italy and international football - making him miles off the harem scarem PL pace.

There is no way he should start ahead of Kante at Stoke, and while I want him to be as good as we hoped he was, I don't want CR picking him because we're paying him £70k a week, and he's his signing.

We'll agree to disagree. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich knock out an English team every year of the Champions League for the past 3 seasons and before that Chelsea won it. It's hard to compete with Messi, Ronaldo and the team that can have any player in Germany they want. Italy are behind England in the coefficient and probably would be further behind if English clubs actually cared about the Europa League.

It's a bit off topic now anyway.

Yes it is, and to clarify I wasn't saying the Premier League is inferior to Serie A, I was making the point that the PL is no longer the best league in the world (standard wise entertatinment is another issue) and that a player who has played at the top of end of Serie A,  as well as Champions League and international football is not going to techinically be "out his depth" in a mid table PL side.

On topic, I think it is not helped that most people expect him to be Cambiasso, he is good, but he is not that good.

If you're expecting Inler to keep pace with agbonlahor, you're going to be disappointed. Esteban wouldn't have even bothered to chase. Would have jogged back to the edge of the box and probably stopped the ball to Gil as a result!

He made some poor passes first half, no doubt about that. on a couple of occasions, that put us under some pressure when we should have been doing that to villa having won back the ball. Second half, he was a productive part of the team which was bossing the game until he was taken off after their second.

EC made a great impact as a sub at Stoke and played ok against Man U. Thereafter, he wasn't that brilliant until after his 'injury' (more like winter break) at the turn of the year.

Inler is a seasoned pro with years in the Italian league at the highest level. He is also captain his countryranked consistently in the top 10 over the past five years.

I think he deserves a few more games before any realistic judgement can be made. He may not come into his own until January. If so, we have options.

That is sure he is not Cambiasso but Cambiasso was in a situation were he was amazing, he managed all the player, the real cap was him. So Inler was not in this situation wet and I hope we will not be because I think we should leave him some games before talking about him. I'm sure he will be usefull in the important game with his experience.

Leave him his chance!!!!!

So gut feeling, is Ranieri going to drop Inler or give him another go? Brave decision if he does, Stoke over ran us home and away last season and it actually took the guile and class of Cambiasso to come on at their gaff and mastermind a proper smash and grab victory. Kante has to play, if Inler is in there as well then it will need to be a re-jig of the team. Perhaps Okazaki and Albrighton make way for Kante and Dyer and Mahrez goes in behind Vardy and there's rapid pace throughout then.

My first impressions of Inler were that he was a decent player with the ability to read the game and spot a pass.

Since then I've been disappointed.

He now strikes me as the kind of guy who likes to make a long pass not so much because it's the best pass but because it saves him having to move to help continue the move.

Sadly too, his long passes have so far failed to find their mark far too often and sometimes put team-mates out of position and left the team open to counter-attack.

For me he takes too many touches, takes too many risks and, too often, fails to track runners.

We were eclipsed in much of the first half against Villa because we wasted possession. Inler did some good things but we lost the passing and moving that has played so well to our strengths.

We put ourselves in a losing position as a result and two important things came to the rescue...

Sherwood's inexplicably naive substitutions when he clearly believed the game was won and the introduction of Kante who did track people, did steal the ball and did pass it quickly and competently.

Those two factors did so much to change the game for all that there were so many other contributions.

Whether Inler can adapt remains to be seen but Kante looks our best new signing by a distance so far and surely the catalyst for still greater improvement to our team, particularly if Ranieri has the confidence to press the play and harrass slow defenders into making mistakes as we did against Villa in the second half - and others in the past under Pearson.

With Inler we add another slow player to the side. We end up with our attack and defence operating separately rather than as a single unit and try to absorb pressure before breaking rather than pressing the game from the front and forcing earlier mistakes like marauding pirates.

The problem with "sitting" is that we don't absorb pressure well enough and once we do make a mistake in a central defensive area - often through not being tight enough on a runner - we don't have the pace to recover and Inler only adds to that problem.    

With the likes of Kante the balance changes significantly and takes us much closer to a team of fast-pressing passers and movers. King looks no faster than Inler athletically, but he's much faster releasing the ball and this is significant in helping us play to our strengths.

If Kingy has runners around him he sees the movement and delivers the ball immediately. Kante does the same and so, I believe, can the likes of Drinkwater and Okazaki. Surely this is what we need to be looking for. Fast passers to release the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and Schlupp to greatest effect.  

PS: It's hard to compare Inler with Cambiasso. Okay neither seem great at tracking runners but Cambiasso seemed to picture the people around him so well and pass the ball so incisively. Inler seems to need an extra touch, an extra moment's thought or to check on the position of people. Cambiasso seemed to know where they were in advance. Maybe it's just a matter of Inler adjusting. Whatever, we need to play quickly and with attitude. It's what our success is based on. Cruise control is not an option we'll win with.     

My first impressions of Inler were that he was a decent player with the ability to read the game and spot a pass.

He now strikes me as the kind of guy who likes to make a long pass not so much because it's the best pass but because it saves him having to move to help continue the move.

Sadly too, his long passes have so far failed to find their mark far too often and sometimes put team-mates out of position and left the team open to counter-attack.

For me he takes too many touches, takes too many risks and, too often, fails to track runners.

We were eclipsed in much of the first half against Villa because we wasted possession. Inler did some good things but we lost the passing and moving that has played so well to our strengths.

We put ourselves in a losing position as a result and two important things came to the rescue...

Sherwood's inexplicably naive substitutions when he clearly believed the game was won and the introduction of Kante who did track people, did steal the ball and did pass it quickly and competently.

Those two factors did so much to change the game for all that there were so many other contributions.

Whether Inler can adapt remains to be seen but Kante looks our best new signing by a distance so far and surely the catalyst for still greater improvement to our team, particularly if Ranieri has the confidence to press the play and harrass slow defenders into making mistakes as we did against Villa in the second half - and others in the past under Pearson.

With Inler we add another slow player to the side. We end up with our attack and defence operating separately rather than as a single unit and try to absorb pressure before breaking rather than pressing the game from the front and forcing earlier mistakes like marauding pirates.

The problem with "sitting" is that we don't absorb pressure well enough and once we do make a mistake in a central defensive area - often through not being tight enough on a runner - we don't have the pace to recover and Inler only adds to that problem.

With the likes of Kante the balance changes significantly and takes us much closer to a team of fast-pressing passers and movers. King looks no faster than Inler athletically, but he's much faster releasing the ball and this is significant in helping us play to our strengths.

If Kingy has runners around him he sees the movement and delivers the ball immediately. Kante does the same and so, I believe, can the likes of Drinkwater and Okazaki. Surely this is what we need to be looking for. Fast passers to release the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and Schlupp to greatest effect.

PS: It's hard to compare Inler with Cambiasso. Okay neither seem great at tracking runners but Cambiasso seemed to picture the people around him so well and pass the ball so incisively. Inler seems to need an extra touch, an extra moment's thought or to check on the position of people. Cambiasso seemed to know where they were in advance. Maybe it's just a matter of Inler adjusting. Whatever, we need to play quickly and with attitude. It's what our success is based on. Cruise control is not an option we'll win with.

WOW

You're talking like he's played ten games for us, you ****ing lunatic. Give the guy a chance.

Miserable, miserable twit.

andy-king-1-4x3280-761662_478x359.jpg

King has never had great pace in his legs but he's one of the quickest we've got in his mind...and arguably the fastest to deliver a pass in the club. Even under pressure. King lets the ball do the running and usually to where he's aiming it.

As for strength, his lack of physical aggression was arguably his major fault but anyone can see that he's worked immensely hard on that and, while he's never going to be a Souness he's no pushover anymore - and does his fair share of winning the ball and holding off challenges without getting booked for the most part.

It's a pity he seems to have lost his appetite - or opportunity - to plunder goals because the speed of his mind is apparent so often when he scores.

His one-paced style sometimes gives the impression that he's disappeared when, in fact, he continues to contribute in all sorts of selfless ways.

I just think it strange we're so keen to dismiss a guy whose been a massive part of our success in recent years for a guy who doesn't even look fit enough for the job, whose played indifferently but who people believe must be better because he cost a lot of money.

I remember how often King was out of the side when we had one of the worst no-win streaks in our history and how much better we were on his return. He's been almost ever present while we've near-miraculously fought off relegation and since climbed to top and second places in the Premiership.  

Inler might prove a gem but nothing yet, against Villa or Bury, would persuade me to play him ahead of King, Drinkwater or most especially Kante.

The first thing I'd be saying to Inler is "get yourself fit, son" because he'll not succeed in the Premiership at half-throttle. Or by having ill-judged passes intercepted. Or by failing to track runners that even the fans can see from the stands.

I'll look forward to praising Inler when he deserves it. Not because he cost a lot and is an international captain. I've played against plenty of international captains in my own sport. Some were good. Some not so good. I hope Inler proves he belongs in the first category but there's been few signs of it yet.      

Archived