Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Kasper Schmeichel

Can't we instead get angry at a league which funnels a disproportionately large sum of money at the top four teams thereby creating a two tier league and the cumulative effective of that money forever widens the gap between the others, and such will eventually result in a European breakaway league, with the money in football following the new league, mirroring the current difference between the championship and the premier league and the resultant quality in football? Or are we going to continue to throw knives at our own players?

I believe his lack of presence is the main contributor to our poor record at set piece defending. Unfortunately for Kasper, he isn't the tallest, so never going to be comfortable leaving his line to claim corners/crosses etc. The opposition know this and instantly there is a man in front of him at corners. 

We either accept this and understand that this will be our problem we can't avoid as Kasper is a great shot stopper or move him on and bring in a new number 1 who will command his penalty area better.

Personally I am fed up of lacklustre defending at corners. Every keeper is a decent shot stopper. Maybe time to move on. 

12 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Can't we instead get angry at a league which funnels a disproportionately large sum of money at the top four teams thereby creating a two tier league and the cumulative effective of that money forever widens the gap between the others, and such will eventually result in a European breakaway league, with the money in football following the new league, mirroring the current difference between the championship and the premier league and the resultant quality in football? Or are we going to continue to throw knives at our own players?

Apoligies if I’m missing something, but the whole league gets a massive amount of money every season. The CL qualifiers get the CL money which is fair enough.

This isn’t the reason most teams have average goalkeepers, you can only buy who’s available from the pool, and the best want to play for the best. We have wasted a lot of money on some bang average players, I wouldn’t say that money could have signed a top keeper because there aren’t many knocking around. 

Kasper isn’t the best but he’s by no means the worst. Playing for a mid-table club is going to make a goalkeepers job twice as difficult. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazza M said:

I believe his lack of presence is the main contributor to our poor record at set piece defending. Unfortunately for Kasper, he isn't the tallest, so never going to be comfortable leaving his line to claim corners/crosses etc. The opposition know this and instantly there is a man in front of him at corners. 

We either accept this and understand that this will be our problem we can't avoid as Kasper is a great shot stopper or move him on and bring in a new number 1 who will command his penalty area better.

Personally I am fed up of lacklustre defending at corners. Every keeper is a decent shot stopper. Maybe time to move on. 

Fortunately he's brilliant at his positioning and ability to save free kicks though.. Phew!! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gazza M said:

If we are seriosuly considering replacing Kasper, then Eldin Jakupovic played 22 PL games for Hull City last season and I think he might actually be available...?

Just a thought...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Apoligies if I’m missing something, but the whole league gets a massive amount of money every season. The CL qualifiers get the CL money which is fair enough.

This isn’t the reason most teams have average goalkeepers, you can only buy who’s available from the pool, and the best want to play for the best. We have wasted a lot of money on some bang average players, I wouldn’t say that money could have signed a top keeper because there aren’t many knocking around. 

Kasper isn’t the best but he’s by no means the worst. Playing for a mid-table club is going to make a goalkeepers job twice as difficult. 

You're not missing something. I was just bored of two threads slating our players after we last to Citylona. And wondered if we could slate something else instead.

• Like 1

This evening proved for me why first choice keepers outside the top clubs should always be playing cup fixtures with absolutely no exception. Schmeichel makes a good save and hopefully will have removed the Man City game from his head.

As much as I agree with a lot of the criticism on here after the weekend we need our best goalkeeper (which he is) to be in the best form possible, I've been annoyed at the fact he hasn't been able to do this earlier this season - playing games and winning with clean sheets helps us Imo. 

34 minutes ago, Sammy said:

This evening proved for me why first choice keepers outside the top clubs should always be playing cup fixtures with absolutely no exception. Schmeichel makes a good save and hopefully will have removed the Man City game from his head.

As much as I agree with a lot of the criticism on here after the weekend we need our best goalkeeper (which he is) to be in the best form possible, I've been annoyed at the fact he hasn't been able to do this earlier this season - playing games and winning with clean sheets helps us Imo. 

Arguably, all starting goalkeepers should play every possible game in a season. It's just difficult for most teams as they want a decent second string keeper (which we don't have) who will want at least some game time and the cup is perfect for that. However, Kasper has no competition so he should be playing in every game. 

8 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Arguably, all starting goalkeepers should play every possible game in a season. It's just difficult for most teams as they want a decent second string keeper (which we don't have) who will want at least some game time and the cup is perfect for that. However, Kasper has no competition so he should be playing in every game. 

Yes kasper is our no. one and should play.  Meanwhile we should find a big dominant keeper 

Edited by foxinsocks

Kasper has never been seriously challenged for his position..Hamer & Jaupovic ( both in their thirty's) seem to be happy to sit  on the bench and pick up their wages each week..just as Schwartzer  & Logan were...Ron Robert Zeiler was ok but not good enough to displace Kasper...and Iversen & Bramley are both  in their very early twenties ...Goalkeeping is probably the most stressful position in a team and it takes a very strong character to put their neck on the line game after game, yet they never seem to command record transfer fees,despite it being such a vital position....Remember Brian Clough saying his first two signings at any club he took over were goalkeepers !

Also wondered why so few goalkeepers go into management

9 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

I do think Kasper gets an awful lot of undue criticism.

I'm never entirely sure who we'd realistically get to replace him. 

Let the brillant minds who want his head tell us. The same who say let's sell X and Y for Z, we'll get a good replacement for that much money since we are Barcelona and anyone would want to play for us.

So the reason for Kaspers poor kicking in recent games is apparently Paul Lambert...

Stoke manager Paul Lambert was forced to take his blue jacket off in the second-half of his side's draw with Leicester after a clash of colours caused Kasper Schmeichel to make two clangers. 

The Leicester shotstopper bizarrely kept kicking in Lambert's direction during the match and twice kicked the ball out of play from goalkicks. 

The commentators explained to viewers the Stoke boss was forced to change after Schmeichel put in a request. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5430323/Schmeichel-kept-mistaking-Lambert-Leicester-player.html

16 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Didn't realise Paul Lambert has been standing on our touchline every game for the past 3 years.

Kasper is so arrogant, he seems to blame everyone else apart from himself.

I must admit, I find it hard to warm to him as a person. As you say, arrogant and can be quite a belligerent sod in the interviews I've seen.

This is just a pathetic excuse though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

So the reason for Kaspers poor kicking in recent games is apparently Paul Lambert...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5430323/Schmeichel-kept-mistaking-Lambert-Leicester-player.html

:nigel:

Really are scrapping the barrel of excuses now.

What next? Gonna blame the running track round the pitch because it's been painted blue? :dunno:

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Was Lambert in the middle of the pitch for Shaqiri's missed attempt then lol.

Huge fan of Kasper but he really needs to buck his ideas up and get a grip. Making me far too nervous recently, especially today. 

I was about to ask that... :D

Unbelievable for him to do that today after the ridiculous goal he gifted to Man City the other week.

(For anyone who didn't see today's effort, Kasper kicked it from the sideline to a Stoke player near the centre circle, giving him a free long-shot at an empty net....fortunately he just missed)

I'm not going to get on his back as he's been a great servant over recent years - and will be again, I'm sure. Certainly in a bad patch at the moment - and needs to cut such reckless actions out.

Edited by Alf Bentley

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I was about to ask that... :D

Unbelievable for him to do that today after the ridiculous goal he gifted to Man City the other week.

(For anyone who didn't see today's effort, Kasper kicked it from the sideline to a Stoke player near the centre circle, giving him a free long-shot at an empty net....fortunately he just missed)

I'm not going to get on his back as he's been a great servant over recent years - and will be again, I'm sure. Certainly in a bad patch at the moment - and needs to cut such reckless actions out.

But football is about performance. If player is done then he's done.  Kasper needs to buck up .... we need to buy a first keeper for nextseason imo 

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1