Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

41 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Why is the narrative about foreigners ‘taking jobs away’ rather than British managers not being good enough?

There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with 442 as a formation (formations are over emphasised anyway) but look at the British coaches in the prem - Hughton, Dyche, Moyes, Hodgson, Pulis (less so Howe) are primarily defensive deep block coaches. It’s no surprise then that the top six elect for foreign managers who coach a more aggressive style of play that press well. I’ve seen a few flippant comments before about Arsenal should appoint Dyche, in his career what has done to suggest he can successfully coach a team full of attacking talent when his coaching style is about being pragmatic and getting the most out of a resolute bunch of players.

A journalist on Twitter a while ago said that on a decent level coaching course done by the FA they treated pressing as if it was a fad and glanced over it whereas in Germany it’s seen as one of the fundamentals of coaching. British coaches aren’t tactically sound enough to manage at the elite level. The benefits of playing abroad are oft spoken about but managing abroad (or even gaining badges) is surely even more beneficial.

I don't know whether those managers could succeed with a team of attacking talent because they've never been given the chance. If you have limited resources it's inevitable you're going to concentrate on a defensive approach. Even when the clubs they manage to unearth an attacking talent they're immediately enticed away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mod hero said:

Worst diver in the prem though.

great talent mind

Yes - but seems to get away with it.

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

. Hopefully you won't lose him to Everton! 

I am not totally convinced it would be a wise move - Everton fans still seen themselves as a big club and whilst there is money to spend they need a lot of re-building which might work out but he'd have to start well.

Not sure they'd settle for just staying up even at this stage and Koeman/Martinez were flavour of the month until results started to turn.

He'd almost be better waiting till the end of the season..

Edited by Super_horns

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Now I've never broken a bone but did he seem to over react to what might turn out to be a broken hand?

I've seen cricketers and the likes just walk off when suffered such injuries.

I thought he was having a fit at first or at least done his shoulder.

Then again one of our players was down for a while for what seemed to be not a lot early on...

It looked like someone trod on his fingers which I would imagine is a lot more painful than a simple fracture.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

It looked like someone trod on his fingers which I would imagine is a lot more painful than a simple fracture.

that and the twisted wrist. 

plus, it's not uncommon for different people to have different pain thresholds!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Now I've never broken a bone but did he seem to over react to what might turn out to be a broken hand?

I've seen cricketers and the likes just walk off when suffered such injuries.

I thought he was having a fit at first or at least done his shoulder.

Then again one of our players was down for a while for what seemed to be not a lot early on...

I broke my arm (in 3 places ?) a few years back and it really hurt. But his reaction was about 3000 times more ridiculous and prolonged than me, and I'm renowned for being a bit soft on the pitch. 

The fact that he then asked to rejoin the game as well ?

• Like 1

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/david-moyes-lays-west-ham-11550486

Moyes was pretty critical of his players after the game. To be fair he's not wrong in what he says but I think he's taken a big gamble there by questioning the players so early on in his reign and in such a public way. Could gee them up but more likely could lose them before he's even really begun.

7 hours ago, Koke said:

"What do they expect?" 

"Do West Brom  expect top 4?"

Or my favourite:

"Be careful what you wish for"

Any club outside top 6/7 aren't allowed to have ambitions. Despite being a cvnt, Adrian Durham is one of the few people in the media who rightly call out clubs like WBA who stink up the place aiming for 40 points. He was one of the few who said our owners did the right thing by sacking Ranieri, while the rest of pundits and journos were having a mental breakdown over it.

Can't wait til WBA sack Pulis and hire a 40 year old from Rayo Vallecano or Torino. The press meltdown will hilarious.

Durham calls out everyone for one reason or another but in a way I'd rather hear it than this acceptance of crap like that. He did give us a bit of a pasting after the Atletico home game which I found harsh, but the reasoning was he judged us as champions of England and in fairness, so many journalists act as if it never happened.

The sooner the PFM network are out of the game the better. Sick of hearing how decent fans paying to watch turgid, ambitionless football should put up with it because some bloke who is mates with ex-players and pundits must be defended at all costs.

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Yes - but seems to get away with it.

I am not totally convinced it would be a wise move - Everton fans still seen themselves as a big club and whilst there is money to spend they need a lot of re-building which might work out but he'd have to start well.

Not sure they'd settle for just staying up even at this stage and Koeman/Martinez were flavour of the month until results started to turn.

He'd almost be better waiting till the end of the season..

He should definitely wait because if Watford carry on like they've started, i can see him going to a club like Arsenal when Wenger finally leaves at the end of next season. No conciliation for you guys in that though.

He certainly deserved a much more detailed statement than they have given!

Having said that they actually have some okay footballers and need a manager who can get them playing a bit.

I keep mentioning him, and I think he'd struggle to leave Sheff Utd, but Chris Wilder deserves a chance soon!

26 minutes ago, AjcW said:

He certainly deserved a much more detailed statement than they have given!

Having said that they actually have some okay footballers and need a manager who can get them playing a bit.

I keep mentioning him, and I think he'd struggle to leave Sheff Utd, but Chris Wilder deserves a chance soon!

He will next season when he gets them promoted....

I quite like WBA, hope they stay up. It was the right decision sack Pulis. His stats in the last 25 games are abysmal, and on top of that the atrocious turgid anti-football he dishes out.

11 minutes ago, Tuna said:

lol

Hennessey

Gunter   Williams   Collins   Chester   Richards   Davies   Taylor

Ledley   Allen

Vokes.

Nah, I reckon he'll go 3 GK and a sweeper approach and get the 'pacy' Craig Bellamy up fromt

Hennessey   Fon Williams   Ward 

Chester

Gunter Williams Collins Richards Davies Taylor

C.Bellamy