Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Arsenal.. Away: pre match thread...

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've heard many worse ideas...

It's why we bought him. It's a toss up between Shinji rolling around on the floor like a fly with a wing missing for 90 minutes and providing 0 goals or the Nacho man with an amazing goals to game ratio and a habit of selfless assists who showed in 17 minutes that he has somehow played alongside Vardy since birth. Clearly Shinji will start. 

If we've got a more solid midfield and defence then Shinji's harassing work in the centre, breaking up build up and forcing teams out wide, won't be as needed. It's probably worth a try to see if we can cope without Shinji but I doubt we'll try it against Arsenal. 

I'd expect the same kind of line up again: if we can keep them at bay for most of the match then bring on Iheanacho in the last 25 after Shinji's run them ragged then they'll play with a sense of dread and we'll play knowing we have a rocket waiting for them.

I'm not sure if we'll start Mahrez. It was his work that set up our winning goal last match so it wouldn't seem fair to start Gray over him. Yet to have him as a second half sub with Iheanacho gives us a gloriously menacing shadow to hang over opponents.

I definitely want to see Mahrez and Iheanacho playing at the same time though: no team will be able to have two or three on Mahrez anymore without letting Iheanacho roam free.

5 hours ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Just not convinced Shinji should be starting alot this season.... This myth on us defending better when he plays, have a look at Liverpool away last season, AWFUL.

He's clearly a workhorse and good at certain things but not convinced he should be starting the season

We should be starting with Nacho and bring Shinji on for the last 20 minutes to defend our lead from the front.

17 hours ago, dayday said:

Now that Mahrez has come out and said he wants to leave, do we drop him and play Gray and plan life without him?

NO!!  While he is still our player and one of the best in the League you play him.

Be delighted with a point, going 1-1. Them to dominate Vardy to nick one against the run of play.

Them to level late on. Kasper to save a penalty.

The back 5 picks itself.

Mahrez (while he is here, play him, beat and most creative player.)

James ( Best midfielder pre season)

Ndidi

Albrighton

Nacho Man Randy Savage

Vardy

2 hours ago, jim5000 said:

We should be starting with Nacho and bring Shinji on for the last 20 minutes to defend our lead from the front.

Shakey seemed to imply Nacho isn't ready to play 90 mins yet.

I think we'll bring Slim on for the last 20-30 mins instead to help with defending set pieces.

I don't think Shinji contributed at all in the few times he's previously come on as a sub.

Can't see past a defeat, just hope it's not a heavy defeat.

Looking at how we started last season, and where we finished, a consistent start, could give is a strong position come the end of the season, just hope we don't start slow, and damage confidence again

2 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

In the charity shield match the Arse seem to be resting their big hitters in readiness for Friday I suppose ... lets hope Sanchez is a bit rusty when we play them

Two years ago they beat Chelsea 1-0 in the charity shield. Lost their first home game to wet spam 2-0

We tend to gift players who haven't scored or are on a debut a goal or something dreamy ( I'm thinking Lacazette ). I'm think a loss of within 2 goals will be considered a good result. 

Obviously I want us to win but they are light years ahead of us in terms of pre season fitness and sharpness.

I also think the Mahrez transfer saga will over shadow the game with the media having a field day. 

They looked a bit casual today...so hard to gauge....one thing for sure is we can't stand and watch Lacazette like we have other strikers in pre-season...or we will most definitely be punished.....best to see if we can keep as solid as possible and put in a decent performance....if the right Arsenal turn up we will be in for a long old evening....

Off the top of my head I can recall Arsenal losing at home to Villa, West Ham and Liverpool on the opening day in recent years. They're always undercooked and if we can get a rhythm going like the second half on Friday night then we're going to cause them a lot of issues.

On 05/08/2017 at 14:54, lgfualol said:

What I want

Schmeichel

Simpson Morgan Maguire Fuchs

Mahrez James Ndidi Albrighton

Iheanacho

Vardy

What I think it will be

Schmeichel

Simpson Morgan Maguire Fuchs

Albrighton Drinkwater Ndidi Chilwell

Okazaki

Vardy

Either way. A 4-2 loss.

Could be nearer than you think to what you want. Drinkwater is crocked but expect Shinji to get the nod given KI8's lack of pre-season practice/fitness.

1 hour ago, Harry96 said:

Ozil Ramsey missing apparently big plus for us 

Yup, and their squad only has 5 days to recover. And Mertesacker went off injured. 

I'm actually looking forward to it, tho that's probably just the excitement of football being back. 

6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Yup, and their squad only has 5 days to recover. And Mertesacker went off injured. 

I'm actually looking forward to it, tho that's probably just the excitement of football being back. 

Isn't Koscielny suspended too?

Archived