Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

9 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This just shows the attacking threat Ricardo offers, having the overload on the right wing and the potential to run inside will really rip teams up in the future. 

Also shows the use Albrighton will have given his defensive work rate and his crossing ability.

He may be a threat going forward but his first job surely is to defend? On the game I saw him play in the World Cup he looked quite poor I thought for this reason. He seemed to typify the sterotype of failed winger turned full back. Someone  mentioned the amount of success Wolves had down our right flank, was that mainly down to him? Not sure but Evans did look very poor to me and their players just skipped round him on more than one occasion whereas I thought that Morgan in those circumstances would have at least put in a decent full blooded challenge in. Or did Evans look poor because he was left too exposed due to Pereira's poor defending? I'm not sure on him yet because at times he looked very talented. It was after all only his second game and Evans first.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He may be a threat going forward but his first job surely is to defend? On the game I saw him play in the World Cup he looked quite poor I thought for this reason. He seemed to typify the sterotype of failed winger turned full back. Someone  mentioned the amount of success Wolves had down our right flank, was that mainly down to him? Not sure but Evans did look very poor to me and their players just skipped round him on more than one occasion whereas I thought that Morgan in those circumstances would have at least put in a decent full blooded challenge in. Or did Evans look poor because he was left too exposed due to Pereira's poor defending? I'm not sure on him yet because at times he looked very talented. It was after all only his second game and Evans first.

Ricardo was excellent going forward but at times yes was completely flummoxed by Wolves’ attacking tactics on their left. Kept getting caught out of position particularly in the first half and left Evans badly exposed. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agreed, he does need to work on his defensive positioning and all-round game. But I'm sure that'll come with time. An Evans or Morgan is needed next to him to shout orders and positioning at him. Like you mentioned, we do have to remember this is his 2nd game in English football. But, what a huge difference he's making offensively. Will just take some tweaking with a CM dropping deeper, almost how Hamza was last year, to help shield the defence.

All a bit bizarre to me.

We either need to go three at the back or sign a decent fit for purpose right back

Simpson I realise is limited, doesnt fit the wing back profile but did a decent job for us at RB and now binned.

We sign a very attacking right back/ wing back with limited defensive abilities. We then immediately sign a winger to do the job the wing back was employed partly to do.

The wing back plays on the right wing pre season although we have several wingers but no decent right back.

He starts against Man U as a winger then moved to right back as Amartey being jack of most trades but never looked convincing in any failed

He then starts against Wolves at right back / wing back the position we need to fill and he was employed for, we look poor and vulnerable down are right as Pereira seemed to forget what his primary role was.

He gets moved to right wing and Amartey after his mare at Man u goes right back.

A wing back and a winger doesn't seem to work

2 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

All a bit bizarre to me.

We either need to go three at the back or sign a decent fit for purpose right back

Simpson I realise is limited, doesnt fit the wing back profile but did a decent job for us at RB and now binned.

We sign a very attacking right back/ wing back with limited defensive abilities. We then immediately sign a winger to do the job the wing back was employed partly to do.

The wing back plays on the right wing pre season although we have several wingers but no decent right back.

He starts against Man U as a winger then moved to right back as Amartey being jack of most trades but never looked convincing in any failed

He then starts against Wolves at right back / wing back the position we need to fill and he was employed for, we look poor and vulnerable down are right as Pereira seemed to forget what his primary role was.

He gets moved to right wing and Amartey after his mare at Man u goes right back.

Perhaps we should just give him time, he'll learn (hopefully) that what he got away with in other leagues, will get punished here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

All a bit bizarre to me.

We're surely going 3 at the back once Soyuncu is up to speed, otherwise it's a very baffling time to be a Leicester fan once again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

Amartey came on against Wolves and didn’t put a foot wrong - he was clearly good enough. He helped secure that side of the pitch where we'd been getting exposed all game.  

Agree but I think Bernie would've even made us look better

We effectively had two wingers vying for the same glory.

Pereira was bought to defend primarily 

We'll really see the benefit when we play against a team that sits back. He was exposed early on but got better, also a positive how he seems to link pretty well with Maddison. Perfect wing back really but I'm going down that route again, Puel will use it during games but doesn't trust it enough to start.

16 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Agree but I think Bernie would've even made us look better

We effectively had two wingers vying for the same glory.

Pereira was bought to defend primarily 

How do you know he was bought in to defend primarily? It looks like Chilwell and Ricardo are there to attack from deep at the minute with cover coming from either a centre back or Ndidi depending on the situation

• Like 2

Jonny vs Pereira was a proper battle, both played very well.

Loved how Ricardo pressed for the first goal.

He reminds me a bit of Kyle Naughton (obviously Ricardo is much better) and how he played when he was on loan with us. He stands out in a similar way.

All what we need is just our midfielder aside ndidi to drop deep as 3rd cb during attack scheme. Maguire and Evans/ new signing will be wide defender

We don't need to permanently play back 3. Many sides play with 1 upfront so we will just waste 3 for 1 striker all of the time

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

All what we need is just our midfielder aside ndidi to drop deep as 3rd cb during attack scheme. Maguire and Evans/ new signing will be wide defender

We don't need to permanently play back 3. Many sides play with 1 upfront so we will just waste 3 for 1 striker all of the time

Hmm. Who from our midfield can drop back to make a back three except Hamza?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Highlights from every Leicester fan's newest favourite right back from his first two games:
https://streamable.com/f9bwz

Fair to say I think the transfer team done good! Bit of an upgrade on Danny Simpson even if we will also always love Simmo!

For some reason it's only just dawned on me that he's assisted 2/3rds of our goals. That interplay with Mendy half way though was fanatastic as well. If we can sort out good defensive cover for him then we'll be sorted.

Leicester City under Puel - surging runs from our full backs linking up with our number 10 perhaps with a defensive midfielder dropping back to make a temporary back three - is looking good. 

Still a way to go though, to stop being initially overrun in games, to get a solid centre half partnership, and to make sure the space behind the full backs isn't exploited.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 09:08, Bob Hazels shorts said:

All a bit bizarre to me.

In Puel's 4-2-3-1, it is the job of the 2CMs to provide cover for the wing backs and allow an overlap for winger and wing back.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

In Puel's 4-2-3-1, it is the job of the 2CMs to provide cover for the wing backs and allow an overlap for winger and wing back.

Possibly more effective for that cover to be provided by a 3rd CB who, if he's the Turk and the info on his abilities is correct, could step up to supplement midfield when we're going forward - a sort of 2-1-5-2. It's fun playing with numbers!

20 minutes ago, murphy said:

Interesting. Eventually:

Kasper

Richardo Maguire Soyuncu Chilwell

Ndidi Mendy

Barnes Maddison Gray

Vardy

With Hamza, Iborra and Silva DM backup, Ian FW backup, Darnell and Benkovik CB backup, Amartey RB, Elder LB, Ghezzal AM backup.

Edited by Foxxed

26 minutes ago, murphy said:

True but we need some speed in there to do this, so maybe this is the plan with Caglar or Benkovic?  Evans is not exactly the answer to Wes's lack of mobility. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, murphy said:

... Can you actually have a wing back in a back four? 

I thought this would only apply if playing a back three. Is this just semantics or is your suggestion flawed. 

Our full backs have radically changed from 2 years ago. We went from having full backs who got dizzy after crossing the half way line to full backs who carry the ball casually for 50 yards and create assists for our striker and attacking midfielders. 

• Like 3

Guest Cujek

If the guy was Roberto Carlos II(which reading this thread some people think he should be) then we wouldn't be here, would He?

Let's just enjoy what we currently have and support the players as much as possible.

For years we have read how Simpson never gets forwards now this?  For me I can handle a few defensive lapses if it means an attacking, exciting fullback.  From what I have seen so far he looks entertaining which, at the end of the day, if what football should be about.  X

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... Can you actually have a wing back in a back four? 

I thought this would only apply if playing a back three. Is this just semantics or is your suggestion flawed. 

Yes you can, that is Puel's preferred system, 4-2-3-1 including two holding centre mids.  He's been here nearly a year now, really we should all be familiar with the set up.

https://www.quora.com/Is-4-2-3-1-is-the-most-efficient-formation-in-football

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2