Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

3 minutes ago, shailen said:

He's becoming a little like Bale. Blistering pace, strength and starting to find his shooting boots. Excited how far he can go. 

It's great to  see how good he's becoming, but maybe an idea to go easy on the hype. Let us enjoy him playing for Leicester; no need to alert bigger clubs to his talent.

Barnes is a great player to watch - always trying to impact the game and travel forward with the ball. I was definitely keen to defend him when I felt his overall game was being unjustly criticised on here. 

His finishing has been below par in the past, but if he can improve on that he will be a huge asset to us. Hopefully, some will show more faith in him when he inevitably suffers dips in form. I think it is very difficult to maintain the explosiveness that he offers if he picks up a knock or is fatigued.

Great to see another academy product making an impact at the highest level.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

It's great to  see how good he's becoming, but maybe an idea to go easy on the hype. Let us enjoy him playing for Leicester; no need to alert bigger clubs to his talent.

Take your point and he's far from being the real deal yet, but there's no reason for us not to get excited about how far this guy can go. It's not like he's doing it in the lower leagues, he's performing in the PL and in Europe so the hype is real. And I highly doubt that bigger club scouts come on here to look for new players - everyone in the league knows about him, so they'll do their own research before they look to buy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Has to be in contention for the Euro squad. He's been in unreal form this season. Very few of England's wingers are as direct as Barnes, would offer something different

I completely agree with what you're saying, but Southgate will probably have 6 players in front of him at the minute.

But over to Harvey, MAKE him pick you.

He'll probably have to score 20 goals for that though, unfortunately. 

The sooner England get rid of Southgate, the better.

Even just for commercial reasons. People might actually watch.

• Like 3

On 29/12/2020 at 18:33, murphy said:

Perhaps but it is a particular frustration for me when people can't understand the idea of youth development from academy or lower leagues into the first team, especially when the raw talent is quite obvious.

That 'smug last sentence' relates to the fact that I keep reading the same things with young players in the early stages of making that step up.  In other words, often people don't seem to get it and don't seem to learn.  

edit - I forgot to thank you for the critique by the way,  I didn't realise we were being marked as such, but as ever, your opinion means the world to me. :)

I think people also need to realise that critiquing a performance doesn’t mean you are suggesting that said level of performance is going to be indicative of their whole career.

It shouldn’t need pointing out. But it seems people struggle with this concept. There is a big difference in writing off someone’s career and commenting on current levels of performance, young or old.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I think people also need to realise that critiquing a performance doesn’t mean you are suggesting that said level of performance is going to be indicative of their whole career.

It shouldn’t need pointing out. But it seems people struggle with this concept. There is a big difference in writing off someone’s career and commenting on current levels of performance, young or old.

What, so opinions can actually change?  Well I never.  Thank you for patronis pointing that out, that's a concept I have always struggled with.

What I was saying however, is that in the early stages of a player's career, particularly if making a step up from the academy or League One, we should judge them differently to an established player and temper those expectations and critiques.  A player can't realise his potential without making a leap to a level that they are not ready for yet.  Playing is the only way to get there and beyond so we should expect mistakes and off days as part of that development and show some patience and make allowances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

What I like about him is his directness, which is much needed when we can get bogged down passing it sideways forever. Really key player in this team IMO, and brilliant that he’s clearly improving.

Spot on. It was woefully apparent under Puel that with supply lines to Vardy severed, we needed a player that can pick up the ball deep, penetrate into the final third and run at a defence which is why he was recalled. Chilwell excelled at using his pace on the flank to stretch teams and open up space by rapidly getting the ball to the byline, Barnes, meanwhile loves stealing into that inside left channel. He still receives huge criticism over his finishing, but I think he's put away some really difficult chances this season and unlike Gray, has an end product. A player like Harvey can rapidly get behind a defence which is always dangerous when you have Vards lurking in the box - assists aside, he also creates his own chances which is the sign of a quality attacking player. A huge asset to our plans going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I wonder whether the plan might be to start to move Harvey more central into a strikers position. Could he be the long-term Vardy replacement perhaps. I've seen Brendan deploy it in a cup game last year. It wasn't terrible for a first outing. If the LCFC DNA is to have a rapid striker up top - maybe??

I think his season has suffered in terms of having more of an impact on games when he has played more centrally next to Vardy. He may well develop in to a centre forward but I still think as a left winger cutting in or going on the outside he is so dangerous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, murphy said:

What, so opinions can actually change?  Well I never.  Thank you for patronis pointing that out, that's a concept I have always struggled with.

Well it seemed you were struggling when you suggested that anyone criticising him (I'm taking that in any shape of form) should now feel foolish? "James Justin is another case in point. Criticised by some early on despite making a leap from League 1 to the PL.  Hopefully they feel foolish now but I wouldn't bank on it."

Should I feel foolish for suggesting his early performances were average, when they were? I got jumped on then by daring to suggest that, and ended up having to caveat it by pointing out that I knew he was young, knew he could improve and that pointing out errors or poor performances doesn't mean I'm writing him off. You shouldn't really have to put in terms and conditions around every critique to stop people coming back 6 months, a year, two years later and saying how "foolish" you were. 

And don't take this too personally, it's been a bugbear of mine for a long time. 

2 hours ago, murphy said:

What I was saying however, is that in the early stages of a player's career, particularly if making a step up from the academy or League One, we should judge them differently to an established player and temper those expectations and critiques.  A player can't realise his potential without making a leap to a level that they are not ready for yet.  Playing is the only way to get there and beyond so we should expect mistakes and off days as part of that development and show some patience and make allowances.

Yes and no IMO, if someone puts in a 4 performance during a match you can't sit there and say, well he's young so I'll take that into account and give him a 6. On the other hand, don't go completely over the board about errors in someones game when there are obvious reasons for them. Whether it's someone coming in from another country, playing their first season in this league, being young etc. 

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

He played as a number 10 at WBA. I think he could work centrally again, given time. But I'm still not sure about striker.

You don't get anywhere near as much time and space in that area in the PL. He has a quick brain and is direct but the times he's played up with vardy or just behind he seems to struggle to get the space. The fact he is now scoring a lot of goals on his left foot will make the opposition unsure on whether he'll cut in and shoot on his supposed stronger foot or go on the outside. I like him being part of a fluid front 3 where he can drift all over the place.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

He played as a number 10 at WBA. I think he could work centrally again, given time. But I'm still not sure about striker.

Probably, but that was in the Championship and "time" is one thing you don't have at this level, both on the pitch and in terms of career. He'll make more of an impact darting into space from the flank. That's another strength about his game, he can run at, take on and beat players with the ball at his feet.  

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You don't get anywhere near as much time and space in that area in the PL. He has a quick brain and is direct but the times he's played up with vardy or just behind he seems to struggle to get the space. The fact he is now scoring a lot of goals on his left foot will make the opposition unsure on whether he'll cut in and shoot on his supposed stronger foot or go on the outside. I like him being part of a fluid front 3 where he can drift all over the place.

Yeah I’d love to see him in a fluid three. Just need the other players now...

• Like 1