Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Wolves (H) Pre match thread

27 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Hmmmm ..   very interesting indeed.  We have our own resident coach on the forum ...   a certain Izzy Muzzett ( @Izzy ), who also has great experience on the coaching/tactical side of the game, albeit with very very small players ...   maybe you could pm him for help and advice ...    hopefully this might well take you to the next level more speedily ...    :thumbup:

lol

I'm not sure setting up a 9 a side team of chubby, tactically unaware, gobby 10 years olds really qualifies me to give @StriderHiryu any advice!

He's done his level 2 badge and I've only done my level 1 so he's the expert really. With his tactical understanding it seems a shame he's not currently coaching a team and giving them the benefit of his wisdom.

• Haha 4

Good to see some posters realising that @StriderHiryu is the best poster on the forum :thumbup:

Anyway...

I fully expect Rodgers to go with this team on Sunday...

Schmeichel

Ricardo - Evans - Soyuncu - Chilwell

Choudhury - Tielemans 

Perez - Maddison - Albrighton

Vardy

Two positions I'm not sure on though, Soyuncu at CB and Choudhury at CM. Of course we have to give Soyuncu a chance, but I can't help but feel nervous at the thought of him against Jota and Jimenez, it's going to be a huge test for him. As for Choudhury we know how good he can be in a three, in a two though there's some uncertainty. It's going to be a big test for him also, especially as he's up against Neves and Moutinho. Ndidi is back amongst the squad though, I wouldn't mind seeing him start tbh but I guess he'll be on the bench.

As for Wolves I hope they will be feeling the effects of their trip to Armenia. Our match against Atalanta was the perfect preparation but I'm still expecting a tough game. First 30 minutes I thought we struggled against Atalanta, especially with the crossfield balls, Wolves are going to hit plenty of them themselves, Albrighton and Perez will play a huge role in supporting our full-backs. The game for me though could be won or lost in midfield, as I mentioned above it's going to be a good test up against Neves and Moutinho, Dendoncker will probably play the holding role too. Finally their front two, as we saw last season we know how dangerous can be.

A very good test to kick off our season, two evenly matched teams who will more than likely be fighting for the top six.

I'll go with a 2-2 draw, Vardy & Perez again :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, murphy said:

I hope it's not the diamond.  I don't like it and I don't think we're ready for it.  Hopefully the formation that we ended last season with 4-3-3.

I can't pick a winner really.  I think that Wolves will be a handful.  What is the feeling among Wolves fans going into the game?

Well up for it as you lads are. Wary because you're a good team but also confident because we're a good team too. And hopeful that we don't get any hangover from Thursday. 

40 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Hmmmm ..   very interesting indeed.  We have our own resident coach on the forum ...   a certain Izzy Muzzett ( @Izzy ), who also has great experience on the coaching/tactical side of the game, albeit with very very small players ...   maybe you could pm him for help and advice ...    hopefully this might well take you to the next level more speedily ...    :thumbup:

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

lol

I'm not sure setting up a 9 a side team of chubby, tactically unaware, gobby 10 years olds really qualifies me to give @StriderHiryu any advice!

He's done his level 2 badge and I've only done my level 1 so he's the expert really. With his tactical understanding it seems a shame he's not currently coaching a team and giving them the benefit of his wisdom.

Ha ha! Yep coaching at the lower levels is for sure a lot less more glamorous, but hopefully you find it rewarding Izzy. I've done that too and it can be very good fun. I was then involved with a semi-amateur team for a bit with some players even having trials for lower league teams and the like. Still at that level it's hilarious how "kick and rush" a lot of the games are. Only the top academies I think are really teaching youngsters how to play actual football IMO, though this will change for sure over the next 10 years. I always tried to make training drills that were fun and focus on the technical side of the game rather than winning. For example making players do a celebration after some pass / move / finish drills I always found to get a good response, as I would also make the kids vote for the best goal and best celebration at the end! lol

I also want to say that I am in no ways a tactical expert or anything like that, so never take anything I have to say for gospel. But one thing I think we can all agree on is that coverage of Leicester City FC is lackluster at best. There are still pundits out there are convinced that we are still playing the counter attack as our primary strategy and most are completely oblivious to how we actually play. So I think it's good to talk about it.

The 442 Diamond looks like a new one for us all to process this season, so it will be like a collective puzzle for us all when and if it's used.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ha ha! Yep coaching at the lower levels is for sure a lot less more glamorous, but hopefully you find it rewarding Izzy. I've done that too and it can be very good fun. I was then involved with a semi-amateur team for a bit with some players even having trials for lower league teams and the like. Still at that level it's hilarious how "kick and rush" a lot of the games are. Only the top academies I think are really teaching youngsters how to play actual football IMO, though this will change for sure over the next 10 years. I always tried to make training drills that were fun and focus on the technical side of the game rather than winning. For example making players do a celebration after some pass / move / finish drills I always found to get a good response, as I would also make the kids vote for the best goal and best celebration at the end! lol

I also want to say that I am in no ways a tactical expert or anything like that, so never take anything I have to say for gospel. But one thing I think we can all agree on is that coverage of Leicester City FC is lackluster at best. There are still pundits out there are convinced that we are still playing the counter attack as our primary strategy and most are completely oblivious to how we actually play. So I think it's good to talk about it.

The 442 Diamond looks like a new one for us all to process this season, so it will be like a collective puzzle for us all when and if it's used.

I cannot express how much this annoys me. It feels like every time I watch us on TV someone makes a dumb comment that exposes them for being absolutely useless. I haven't figured out if they're really thick and have no ability to analyse what's going on, or if they're just lazy overpaid wankers stealing a living. You can literally see were not a counter attacking team by looking at the possession stat, if we come out with 60% every game, how can we not be playing possession football. 

Also, I find it so frustrating how simple their analysis is in general. Sometimes I wouldn't even class it as analysis, they just narrate highlights. I understand they've got to appeal to the masses so everyone can follow what they're saying but I want real in depth information about the game. I'm far from an expert on tactic (as you can all probably tell) but I'm a big nerd about it and love learning. I'd love it if they could get real qualified coaches on TV that are capable of conveying information like Strider does so people can understand how and why the managers make the decisions they do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really hope hamza gets the nod in this one. Although he’s looked a bit edgy at times in pre season I think he has the potential to develop into a better passer and recycler of the ball than ndidi, although ndidi is still a weapon at getting it back, nice dilemma to have 

Jota is the one to watch. One of my favourite footballers to watch, absolutely top class. Wasn’t sure he’d be quite good enough as he didn’t start the season too well last season but ended it in fine form. I can just see hamza snapping him within the first 10 mins, picking up a yellow. Should be a good game, just worried about Soyunucu as he didn’t seem to keep a very good defensive shape against Atlanta and kept chasing the ball, but we will see. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

I cannot express how much this annoys me. It feels like every time I watch us on TV someone makes a dumb comment that exposes them for being absolutely useless. I haven't figured out if they're really thick and have no ability to analyse what's going on, or if they're just lazy overpaid wankers stealing a living. You can literally see were not a counter attacking team by looking at the possession stat, if we come out with 60% every game, how can we not be playing possession football. 

Also, I find it so frustrating how simple their analysis is in general. Sometimes I wouldn't even class it as analysis, they just narrate highlights. I understand they've got to appeal to the masses so everyone can follow what they're saying but I want real in depth information about the game. I'm far from an expert on tactic (as you can all probably tell) but I'm a big nerd about it and love learning. I'd love it if they could get real qualified coaches on TV that are capable of conveying information like Strider does so people can understand how and why the managers make the decisions they do. 

Media in general is pretty redundant, I for some reason had talk Spurs on earlier, and they were saying how impressed they were with United strengthening all over the pitch.... all over the pitch? They appeal to themselves and that’s about it. A few years ago we stuck two fingers up to all of them, and it was f***ing b.e.a.utiful. 

What we did that that year will forever grate on these “experts”. I’ve chosen to ignore them all now, I rock up on Saturday, have a sausage roll. Burn my mouth, regret it and sit in pain and unable to talk for 90 minutes.... but I bloody love it LOVE IT! 

I really can’t wait for the season to start, I actually think other than goalkeeper, we are stronger in every position than this stage last season.

That’s not to take away from Kasper, I am a huge fan of his just think he will be exactly the same as last year.

Where as in other positions we have improved, even where the personnel have not changed.

At full back Ricardo now has a full Premier League season under his belt and I felt he got stronger and stronger as the season went on. Chilwell has established himself as England’s number one left back and will only get better with going away to the Nations Cup and being involved with the set up. Defensively he gets stronger and more aware every time I see him play.

Centre back is interesting with the loss of Maguire, but most will agree Evans was our best CB last season and alongside Soyuncu will be solid. Soyuncu for the record is my tip for this season player of the year, will be saying Harry who by Christmas.

In midfield the addition of Tielemans is huge, he is class like Cambiasso only younger. Madison now has a year of Premier League under his belt and when Rodgers came in his performance a went through the roof. Albrighton is looking quality preseason, Perez looks likes he could offer the goals we missed when Mahrez left and Vardy will be much happier and more confident playing under Rodgers, I expect 20 goals from him this season.

We also look like we have a bit of depth in most areas too.

Lets get behind the lads from minute one! At least half out players would start in any Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal team - I see no reason why we can’t challenge those for a top 6 - If we stay injury free and have a bit of look top 4 spot.

On Sunday’s opponents, very similar to us, they have strengthened and I expect them along with Everton to form a top 9 with very little between 4th and 9th spot. Playing midweek may hamper them, not so much this first game but as the season goes on and they may drift away. I’m tempted to put a sneaky temper on them to win the Europa League as my outside bet for the season. This may see them sacrifice some league games and end up at the bottom end of that top 9!

This game for me, would be a crucial game to win, set out who we are for the season! 

I predict a 3-1 win - Vardy early goal, Jota to equalise right on half time - because no matter how good we are some things never change.

Two late goals a VAR penalty converted by Vardy and a bullet header from the Player of the Year in waiting Soyuncu!

Lets get excited, is almost back!

When you’re smiling

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

I still don’t really understand what our formation is this season. 

Is it 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1? 

What about about the ‘4-4-2 diamond? 

Or are these all basically different names for the same thing? 

The end of last season and most of preseason, we have been playing 4-1-4-1. This accurately showcases the "triangles" of players/passes/link-up.

Kasper

Ricardo - Evans - Soyuncu - Chilwell

Ndidi/Hamza

Perez - Tielemans - Maddison - Albrighton

Vardy

Some people like to see it as a 433, which it could be considered, but imo that is less useful (for fans) to think of as. Others are calling it a 4231, but that is wrong as it suggests Tielemans is playing as a defensive midfielder (although more accurately describes Maddison as our number 10).

The idea of a diamond is to replace Albrighton with Praet and move Perez forward into a second striker role (and move Maddison into a more defined #10 role). This is very different (unless you replace Vardy/Maddison with a false #9, having two wide forwards). 

Ndidi/Hamza

Tielemans - Praet

Maddison

Perez - Vardy

Edited by FireFox

4 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

FireFox summed it up well above but if you want more detail, watch this video. It's very detailed and accurate. 

https://youtu.be/G0z76jd9LKU

Cannot wait for Sunday. 

Everyone’s anticipation for the game boils over until it hits 1pm and the lineup is posted. 

Morgan starts!

Arguments ensue about him being either a legend or past it or both. 

Everyone sets aside their differences and finally the game starts at 2pm. 

2:14: 1-0 to Wolves. 

Vardy gets his customary red card on 54 minutes. 

Morgan pops up with a last minute equaliser but VAR rules it out because it would prove Urban right and everyone else wrong. 

Football is BACK. 

The point about pundits, and their inability/unwillingness to discuss tactics for a team (Obviously I am looking for some deeper examination from a Leicester perspective primarily) is annoying, if not unexpected. This is one of the reasons I had hoped The Athletic would be different, early days, and there are some interesting articles, but not as yet.

Only interested as a layman, but some of the books/ articles do make interesting reading regarding tactical evolution, even the stuff around use of data makes interesting reading.

Guess that makes me a nerd? :)

Will be be interesting this season to see how Brendan has evolved the tactical models used, especially so if a diamond is used.

10 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

I think we will be using 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 a lot this season

Vardy

Albrighton                   Perez

Tielemans  Maddison

Ndidi

Chilwell  Soyuncu  Evans  Ricardo

4-2-3-1 is different in the way the midfield 3 are arranged. That was what Puel favoured. Although the 2 in front of the defence can act more like box-to-box/playmaker CMs, he liked a double-pivot, with 2 DMs whose main focus is defence, and who rarely ever venture forward. I quite like the idea of this formation, as it kind of gives you a 6-man defence, and then 4 attackers who don't have to worry too much about defending. However, it can be overly conservative as we saw.

Vardy

Albrighton   Maddison    Gray

Ndidi    Mendy

Chilwell  Maguire  Evans  Ricardo

It seems like the 4-4-2 Diamond is another formation Rodgers wants to use. I think as a way of breaking down park-the-bus shithousery.

Vardy  Perez

Maddison

Praet    Tielemans

Ndidi

Chilwell Soyuncu Evans Ricardo

On this diagram, it looks very narrow, but this is because the fullbacks will be providing the width. When the opposition is mainly trying to get men behind the ball, Chilwell and Ricardo won't have too much defending to do, and can spend a lot of time further forward. We've packed the midfield in order to find a way through the centre of the pitch, and with 2 up front, the opposition could find it difficult to find a way out of their own 3rd. The idea is to pin the opposition in by sacrificing some defensive rigidity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

I personally think we'll start 433 as normal under Rodgers although he himself mentioned a diamond so it isn't impossible we'll see that once Praet settles.

I'll be surprised if the team vs Wolves isn't about 95% the team that played Atalanta though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, treer said:

it is on trt sport satellite (42 east)

and sport tv3 (30 west)

both these sats are easy to pick up in the uk

Do you live in Drodwell Bank by chance?