Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

I'm coming to terms with what he can and can't do. He gets shoved off the ball a lot but also wins the balls in dangerous areas constantly. He's very intelligent and although he's still not yet fully integrated in to this team, he's doing ok and will be an asset for us.

He will score the winner vs Newcastle on wednesday.

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue

Maybe give him a chance and judge him after hes had a chance to settle in.  Even the very best sometimes need a season,  hes doing fine and we're doing great whats the problem. 

Accept his stature means hell be knocked about a fair bit but for me the big frustration is the ball getting stuck under his feet too much. He doesn't appear at times to have it cleanly enough to then do something with it.

If he could tidy up this aspect of his game would certainly become a far better player

Played quality yesterday.

Was effective at winning the ball high up the pitch and pressed well. Still think he’s a centre forward, not a winger or CAM. 

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Would like to see us try a 4231 with Ndidi and Tielemans as a double pivot, Gray on the right, Perez as a 10 and Maddison left, I know Madders is 100% better down the middle, but Ayoze played well in the 10 role yesterday and I’d be interested to see how they’d link up. 

With the personal too we could always revert back to the 4141 if it ain’t working mid game.

Seems obvs that Pérez can take madders role when he has been used as a ten to allow him a rest later in games - not sure Pérez will be ok as an eight though ....

always felt he isn’t too happy out wide ...

Up to 4 goals and 3 assists now this season in the equivalent of 11.5 full games.

Over a 38 game season playing every minute that's strike rate would be 13 goals and 10 assists.

I'm not particularly enamoured with Perez as I like my wide players to be quick, skilful and dynamic but he does strike me as a clever player who finds space and won't look that great but before you know it his stats are amongst the best in the division. He's a bit streaky as well as three of his four goals have been in one game and two of his assists in another game. I also judge a player not just by how many goals and assists but how many matches does he make these contributions. I'd rather he get three single goals in three games than a hatrick and two blanks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Seems obvs that Pérez can take madders role when he has been used as a ten to allow him a rest later in games - not sure Pérez will be ok as an eight though ....

always felt he isn’t too happy out wide ...

I think using him as an 8 in home games that we dominate against a team parking the bus would be fine. I've long thought he might be a player really suited to being a flat track bully. That's in no way a criticism as all top sides could do with a flat track bully. We have played every side in the league and apart from the teams who qualified for Europe we have only dropped two points this season at home to Norwich and beat everyone else. That's the reason we're second and 11pts clear of 5th as our record against the top sides is average but we put the lesser sides to the sword which is what many of the other top clubs have failed to do time and time again. 

30 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Would like to see us try a 4231 with Ndidi and Tielemans as a double pivot, Gray on the right, Perez as a 10 and Maddison left, I know Madders is 100% better down the middle, but Ayoze played well in the 10 role yesterday and I’d be interested to see how they’d link up. 

With the personal too we could always revert back to the 4141 if it ain’t working mid game.

So we sacrifice one of best players from his best position to shoehorn in a mediocre one? If Madders was injured perhaps but it's experimenting for experimenting sake. I think we've learned that certainly against decent opposition, Perez is no winger. Perhaps another role may suit him but for an ambitious team who will undoubtedly buy again, he's squad standard at best. One game against a very poor West Ham does not a superstar make.

Edited by volpeazzurro

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

No not really at all, Perez has played loads of times in the 4141 this season when Maddison has played. There’s no sacrificing him - obviously Maddison is better as a 10, but neither him nor Tielemans have been pulling up any trees in the last few games in their best positions. Just an idea of a slight tactical tweak to try keep things fresh, we’d be naive to think our players are so good that we can just play one way all the time and keep winning. We aren’t at that Liverpool or Man City level where we can do that. 

If we count yesterday as Perez having a good game, that's 2 he's had all season in any position. Of course he's played plenty of games in a 4141 formation when Maddison has been playing, so have Schmeichel and Evan's, but not in the sacrificial role you were suggesting ie him as a number 10 and Maddison on the left. We've just had, yet again, a prime example of how ineffectual Maddison is out there. So why put him there and slot powder puff Perez into the position Maddison excels in? If you were going to replace a midfielder like Tielemans with anyone I'd suggest it would be Choudhury. 

Lovely to see Perez and Gray have good games yesterday. They have had their critics on this forum in recent weeks.We at least know that there are options and that the regular first team need to be at their best to keep their places. However good Liverpool and Man City were over Christmas we looked tired and Brendan was brave in making so many changes. 

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Those saying to put Perez in the middle, fair point but how do we change our strongest formation / line up to accommodate Perez down the middle?

Todays set up really, if we were to bring in a new centre back in January, they would step in for Fuchs, Vardy in for Iheanacho

30 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very good all round performance today. Unsurprisingly better suited as a striker / support striker than as a wide forward.

When I was talking to the Newcastle fans before we signed him , they said that he is a better player in the hole, than as a winger, when I mentioned that on here the so called experts on here was saying he is better coming in from the right,

I thought to myself it’s not worth arguing, when fans who have hardly seen him play compared to fans that watch week in, week out.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Todays set up really, if we were to bring in a new centre back in January, they would step in for Fuchs, Vardy in for Iheanacho

I'm not sure if Perez would link up as well with Vardy as he did with Iheanacho, as weird as that sounds. They played well together, partly because Iheanacho gets involved in the buildup so it's easier for Perez to make use of his movement.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Definitely plays better with Iheanacho , a traditional striker , Vardy is such an unconventional forward Perez, like Iheanacho and Slimani ,  find it just too difficult to adapt. When Vardy comes back he is better playing with Barnes or Gray. Rodgers will have to decide which line up is best suited to the opposition.

Edited by An Sionnach

40 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Having a good season, scored a few as well. Some bellends on here haven’t a clue about the realities of joining a new club, new style, new position etc...

Every word after clue is redundant.