Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

The £50m buy back clause that Man City have is supposedly still valid for another season after this one. Can’t imagine they will go for him though, probably will be fighting for Haaland 

Won't he be out of contract by then anyway? 

The £50m buy back clause that Man City have is supposedly still valid for another season after this one. Can’t imagine they will go for him though, probably will be fighting for Haaland 

:fc:  Although 50mil is probably more than worth it - IF we can get someone else in who's as good if not better for the same or less...

Edited by PhillippaT

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Won't he be out of contract by then anyway? 

It ends at the end of his current contract, I think 5 years after we bought him. Even if we offer him a new deal and he signs it, City will still have a buyout option until it expires in 2022/23. There is a Rodgers quote about that floating around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

It ends at the end of his current contract, I think 5 years after we bought him. Even if we offer him a new deal and he signs it, City will still have a buyout option until it expires in 2022/23. There is a Rodgers quote about that floating around. 

Just to be a bit clearer on this, it would be 30 June 2022 (2022/23 sounds a bit ambiguous and people might think you mean the following summer). You are spot on in terms of the Rodgers quote though.

• Like 1

Just now, jeffschlupp said:

Just to be a bit clearer on this, it would be 30 June 2022 (2022/23 sounds a bit ambiguous and people might think you mean the following summer). You are spot on in terms of the Rodgers quote though.

Yeah I wasn’t quite sure when his contact expires, was just from memory, thanks for clearing that up :) 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I want to apologise to Kelechi, I slagged him off big time after the Palace match and I genuinely thought he was finished here, but the past couple of months he's made me eat my words. He's been very very good lately and has stepped up when we've needed goals. If we achieve top 4 this season, a lot of it will be down to him, he's scored crucial goals in crucial games.

I hope he's rewarded with a new contract and continues to score, hopefully 15+ a season, especially as Vardy seems to be on the wind down.

I never knew about his mother either, very tragic, lovely interview after the game.

:wub::appl:

So did I . But altho I always feel he could work a bit harder he seems a big boned guy and maybe moves more languidly which fools me a bit ,most strikers are more mercurial and twitchy. But I'm very impressed with the technical quality of his finishing. He also seems a very shy nice guy.His header against Fulham ? was far more difficult than appeared at the time, and even the header against Palace he missed, I think he should have got but it was more diifficult than it appeared at first.His goal from Youri's pass also had lots of subtle skills. He's certainly no smooth talker but I think a much deeper character than I took him for at first. So good for him BR and the team are encouraging him to give interviews (i can't imagine he's volunterring yet.) He also seems the ideal build to put our goals from corners and set pieces up and its definitely something he and Fofana ( in particular) should be being coached in.

Edited by Alan Frost

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I want to apologise to Kelechi, I slagged him off big time after the Palace match and I genuinely thought he was finished here, but the past couple of months he's made me eat my words. He's been very very good lately and has stepped up when we've needed goals. If we achieve top 4 this season, a lot of it will be down to him, he's scored crucial goals in crucial games.

I hope he's rewarded with a new contract and continues to score, hopefully 15+ a season, especially as Vardy seems to be on the wind down.

I never knew about his mother either, very tragic, lovely interview after the game.

:wub::appl:

Yep, put much better than I could... I'm sorry Kel 🙌🙌🙌sorry Mr Iheanacho 🙌

• Like 1

I've always given him a chance, never really gets a good run in games and asked to come on in 10 minutes and perform miracles... often playing to someone elses strengths. 

Hopefully we can keep him consistently playing and try to get both Vardy and Nacho working together... they were immense yesterday.

• Like 4

It ends at the end of his current contract, I think 5 years after we bought him. Even if we offer him a new deal and he signs it, Man City will still have a buyout option until it expires in 2022/23. There is a Rodgers quote about that floating around. 

Also just to make it a bit clearer. 

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

So he'll be into his final season after this. Sounds like he's turning around his fortunes just in the nick of time before contract discussions start. I don't mean that to sound cynical as he seems to be an honest lad. 

18 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Who was the last player for us to win around the support after most had written them off?

There's a long list!

- Vardy

- Simpson

- Soyuncu

- Ricardo

- Barnes

- Mendy?

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'd go for Barnes who went from "will never be much more than a Championship player" to "the heir apparent to Vardy's throne" (in terms of goal output if not position). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

There's a long list!

- Vardy

- Simpson

- Soyuncu

- Ricardo

- Barnes

- Mendy?

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'd go for Barnes who went from "will never be much more than a Championship player" to "the heir apparent to Vardy's throne" (in terms of goal output if not position). 

Drinkwater too

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

There's a long list!

- Vardy

This is the goal that made me realise he could probably cut it in the Prem. He knew exactly what he wanted to do before the ball even came to him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Who was the last player for us to win around the support after most had written them off?

We do seem very quick as a fanbase to write players off. I think we tend to give about 10 games which is pretty ludicrous, especially young or foreign players who sometimes need that time to settle.

3 minutes ago, BrummieFOX said:

We do seem very quick as a fanbase to write players off. I think we tend to give about 10 games which is pretty ludicrous, especially young or foreign players who sometimes need that time to settle.

If they're lucky! Usually it's before a player is signed. So many always reaching to find the negative in a player and run with that. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

There's a long list!

- Vardy

- Simpson

- Soyuncu

- Ricardo

- Barnes

- Mendy?

I'm hoping Perez is the next one.

Call it blind faith but I really can't stand the criticism some players get, whether it's justified or not and let's be honest some of her criticism on various fan forums is never justified. I am the type of fan to back any player that pulls the shirt on and more of a fan who pokes fun at certain players 

• Like 3

Great performance, great goals, but Sheffield were awful. Jury is still out for me. 

Kel's finishes were those of a natural striker, but he needs players to create those chances, great to see the relationship with Vardy developing, but it does suggest that Kel will never be a lone striker. He has struggled in that role previously so he isn't the long term answer to Vardy unless we change formation. Not wanting to piss on any chips, but there are still a lot of poor performances in recent memory.

• Like 1

The lad just scores goals and at a decent rate. He’s unfortunate in a way because some people remember his off days more than they should and when he’s off song he doesn’t even look like a footballer. Hopefully now he will relax a bit more in the knowledge that he’s more than proven his importance to the team as I’ve always thought when he’s been poor it’s often looked like he is almost trying to hard. I do really hope these last few games are his springboard to proper greatness. 

Edited by OrielCaziado

Not only may he fancy his chances of being first choice elsewhere, if he is on the 80k a week we are paying him, any new contract offer here will be a good 20-30% less and again he might look to move on and get a decent signing on fee to plug the drop in weekly wage as he won't get £80k a week again I doubt. 

It's going to be interesting what happens with him, right now he feels like a new signing.