Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Ben Chilwell - Chelsea?

41 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

We'd definitely be getting more than £60 million, papers trying to sell our players again for under the 'inflated' market value we'll command. Will be a long a

January.

It's more than the inflation, etc. We don't have a ready replacement -- since Fuchs, bless him, is not the future, so it is what everyone thought the Maguire situation would be: There is not much point in selling England's starting LB for £60 million if you have to spend £50 million on a replacement, especially since we are looking to strengthen to squad in anticipation of European football next year.

Speaking of which: Of our first team players, only three qualify as "club homegrown" under UEFA rules (You need 8 homegrown, 4 from the club itself): Chilwell, Hamza and Barnes, of whom only Chilwell is a bang-on starter. This means our European squad could only have 23 members (over 21) if we let Chilwell go, and our only U21 in the first team is currently James Justin, but he won't be an U21 next season, and he wouldn't have been at the club long enough to qualify as an U21 under European squad rules anyway. This means in some ways, Chilwell is truly irreplaceable for the club. 

Brendan won't let him leave in January, and I think it would take over £80 million to pry him in the summer, especially if we are in CL -- and I'm not sure Chelsea or ManCity will pay that much for him (ManU would, because they would pay that much just to have an England starter). But given his current contract, and the club's position compared to last year, Leicester's hand is even stronger than it was with Maguire, and we pantsed them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Probably not in January but for 60m i’d snap their hands off 😂 Would be Harry Maguire levels of daylight robbery from us if we managed to get that for him. 

I get that some fans see his weaknesses more than they see his strengths, but in this market he’s priceless ie, hyperbole aside, ‘worth’ £100m+. And yes, he’s neither the finished article nor the best left back we’ve had this decade. But what a player he’ll be in a couple of years!

• Like 1

£60m? This is Man City, who paid £52m for a left back from the continent with a history of injury problems; and they expect to pay just £60m for a home grown English left back with a brilliant fitness history and 4 years left on his current contract?

Man City can't afford him.

The fact that Chilwell was homegrown at the club makes him very important for any European squad registration. I can't see any club paying what it would take to prise him away because it will be more then what Man U paid for Maguire, that's for sure. 

If he goes in the summer it makes a mockery of dropping fuchs for him, as fuchs probably could have remained a very good LB for us up until the end of this season and is a better player than chilwell. The reason for using chilwell was that he would outlast fuchs and is our future.

3 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

If he goes in the summer it makes a mockery of dropping fuchs for him, as fuchs probably could have remained a very good LB for us up until the end of this season and is a better player than chilwell. The reason for using chilwell was that he would outlast fuchs and is our future.

Why would sell anyone in the summer? It doesn’t look like anyone wants to leave, we’ve got £80m sitting around from the Maguire deal + the £100m we will get from being in the premier league & the £60-70m we will get for competing in the champions league. Makes no sense.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

I don't rate him that highly and think we already have a ready made replacement in Justin. For the right price (around £65 million) I'd cash in.

You don’t rate him that highly, but would cash in for 65 million? How many unrated left backs go for that type of money? 

1 hour ago, tickler28 said:

I don't rate him that highly and think we already have a ready made replacement in Justin. For the right price (around £65 million) I'd cash in.

As much as Justin has potential I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s good enough on his left foot to play left back how we would want, going on the outside and putting crosses in with the left foot

Ben is a very very good player, who is suffering a bit of indifferent form, particularly given the chopping and changing of formations recently. if and when he goes it will be very difficult and expensive to replace him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cecchini1976 said:

You don’t rate him that highly, but would cash in for 65 million? How many unrated left backs go for that type of money? 

Chilwell is the equivalent of the Emperor’s New Clothes.

Many ‘believe / say he is good’ despite what they have seen with their own eyes for the last three years.

He has very little, if any footballing ability and he cannot do a half decent job as a defender. His  ONLY attribute is his athleticism and while that pace can rectify some errors, it clearly doesn’t change the thought processes to a level where he can implement the simplest of defensive duties such as closing down an on coming attacker.

As a result he can’t offer the ‘footballing’ aspects that Rodger’s style needs. Nor can he do a job in a 442 to the extent Danny Simpson did for us.

He is 22 not 17, so I would suggest any improvement at al is not something to rely upon.

Sell for big bucks, and find a left back from the continent like we did with Fuchs or maybe utilise Justin in his place who looks a far better player already.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Many ‘believe / say he is good’ despite what they have seen with their own eyes for the last three years.

He has very little, if any footballing ability and he cannot do a half decent job as a defender. His  ONLY attribute is his athleticism and while that pace can rectify some errors, it clearly doesn’t change the thought processes to a level where he can implement the simplest of defensive duties such as closing down an on coming attacker.

As a result he can’t offer the ‘footballing’ aspects that Rodger’s style needs. Nor can he do a job in a 442 to the extent Danny Simpson did for us.

He is 22 not 17, so I would suggest any improvement at al is not something to rely upon.

Sell for big bucks, and find a left back from the continent like we did with Fuchs or maybe utilise Justin in his place who looks a far better player already.

“He has very little, if any footballing ability”  do you actually read what you’ve written and how completely ridiculous your words are? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

Well I think he is the best left back we have ever had and he is only 22. Unfortunately all I see on this forum is people talking about the limitations of the players and picking fault, when in reality it’s the best starting 11 in our history 

This. 

When did 22 become too old to improve too? How old is Vardy again? Absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

You're a moron.

Has no footballing ability - bad defending/opposition or not I dare you to watch this video (obviously you won't because you have no interest in anything except moaning against a home grown player): 

I would suggest that he had a poor game the other night (although not as bad as people make out), but he's been better than people make out this season and certainly most of last season. I think him being forced to make the easy pass recently has been due to poor movement from others as much as it has been from him.

He looks best when he hits the byline or when he drives inside which both work better when we break quickly. When we did against Villa players were so behind the pace he lacked the option to do either. Praet also was looking around with nobody to pass to when he was on in the first half, and ended up passing it backwards usually. Fuchs was also off the pace, he's a good defender and really good backup but he is definitely not what we need. Also Justin is right footed, he's decent cover but you can't be playing right backs at left back, it makes no sense.

• Like 1