Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Justin

To think we are talking about Chiwell being replaced by JJ,  a player we got from league 1 who has only played 4 times in the prem.

This must prove Chiwell is overrated.

He has played 95 times for us and is a England international but league 1 JJ can come on the scene and look like a all round better player .

don't get me wrong Chiwell is good but he is nothing we should worry about if he leaves.

99 touches was the most amount of touches of any player on the pitch. Also notably for me a lot of those touches were to make forward passes or to drive forwards. Regardless of whom plays at LB be it Fuchs, Chilwell or Justin they've got to unleash their inner Ricardo and get the ball forwards. In modern football full backs end up being some of the most creative players on the pitch, so whilst playing it back safely has it's time and place, driving the play forwards is key. 

• Like 4

Thought he was outstanding yesterday. One thing he offered was support on the wing. Feels bloody ages the last time i watched chillwell overlap Barnes. Justin seemed more committed to those overlaps and it shown. Excited to see more of him and you would assume he starts next game based on that performance. 

1 hour ago, mancunianfox said:

He is dead unlucky really because he probably would have played about 25 league games for a good 12 other sides in the league. Looks good every time he plays and the fact he can play on both sides well is invaluable.

You could argue that he is lucky, not unlucky.  Taken from League One to a (possible) Champion's League team.

I think he was bought as succession planning for Ricardo and will have expected some time as a squad player and time to develop.  I think he will be a big player for us in the future.

• Like 1

Rodgers credited James Justin for the composure he displayed during his home Premier League start..

“I thought JJ was amazing,” said Rodgers. “His first home Premier League start was absolutely brilliant. His composure, his quality – he’s a great defender.

“I was pleasantly surprised how he lasted the game. He was so, so good in just his resilience and persistence, so I’m delighted for him.

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers credited James Justin for the composure he displayed during his home Premier League start..

“I thought JJ was amazing,” said Rodgers. “His first home Premier League start was absolutely brilliant. His composure, his quality – he’s a great defender.

“I was pleasantly surprised how he lasted the game. He was so, so good in just his resilience and persistence, so I’m delighted for him.

Suggests Chilwell might be taking a rest.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Tbf, he decided to come here, and sit behind England's first choice left back. It might yet work out for him, but you can't say he's been unlucky when he knew what he was getting into.

I have no doubt he would not have been expecting to play a lot when he made that decision but having this year to get used to the league and train regularly with Premier League players is obviously a really good situation for him. You can't argue with anything Justin has done so far with the opportunities he has had, he hasn't put a foot wrong. I think we are really on to something with buying replacements ahead of time and effectively having them sit out the year.

• Like 1

Thought JJ was excellent last night. As much as Villa were useless, you could see they couldn't handle his pace or directness down the left. Was nice seeing our left back take his man on as well instead of checking back and playing the ball infield. It stretched the Villa defense no end.

14 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Suggests Chilwell might be taking a rest.

Which is probably the right thing to do. Young players will have dips in performance levels so taking them out at the right time is important. Tielemans for me looked much better in his last 15 minutes than he has done in any of his last 4 or 5 starts, so having Praet come in for him is probably helping him too. I'd love it if when Perez returns he can raise his game too.

For me I would also drop Maddison for a bit as he's been below par compared to his form before Christmas.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

I have no doubt he would not have been expecting to play a lot when he made that decision but having this year to get used to the league and train regularly with Premier League players is obviously a really good situation for him. You can't argue with anything Justin has done so far with the opportunities he has had, he hasn't put a foot wrong. I think we are really on to something with buying replacements ahead of time and effectively having them sit out the year.

There was one game, I can't remember who it was against, but he was honestly pretty bog standard, and it was a cup game against lower league opponents as well. Not to be too facetious, but he certainly put a couple of feet wrong.

14 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Nothing wrong with having 2 super young left backs with CL football to play next year and a battle on 4 fronts.... lets remember that even young players need a rest now and then, and of course injuries/suspensions

Exactly this, Chilly needs to stay too not be sold. Competition is great as it ups everyones game. If European football beckons then the squad needs to be bigger. A "spare" for each position is essential to cover for illness, injury etc... A bit of healthy competition amongst team mates never hurt anyone and improves everyones game.