Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

Just now, nnfox said:

I'm not saying they are, but just because we're different, doesn't mean we're wrong. The best approach will be unknown until this thing goes away and mortality rates can be confirmed and compared, which will be months and months.

But being overly cautious is still better than doing nothing other than washing our hands and singing happy birthday.... 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Hope we don’t end up getting shafted out of UCL.

We'll be fine; we've got a buffer points-wise and we've been top-3 for most the season. If we ended up missing out for whatever reason then we'd have a strong case for an appeal - however that may work.

It's Wolves/Sheffield Utd I feel for. The situation is far more uncertain for them and they stand to potentially lose out on something which would be huge for their respective clubs, without even being able to influence the decision.

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

But being overly cautious is still better than doing nothing other than washing our hands and singing happy birthday.... 

Is it though? Stopping it spreading and hoping it goes away on its own might not necessarily be better than building immunity throughout the population, making it more difficult for the virus to spread? 

Truth is, nobody knows.

• Like 1

Can we please still have an imaginary Match Thread tomorrow?  Some FT Members will need to slag off our players.  So someone needs to put up the Team a 2 pm tomorrow (before SfE does) and away we go - 3 hours of the usual bliss.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

And what makes our nations top scientists any better than many other nations top scientists who have a different view? 

I don't think they are. I do think however that such top scientists from different countries are in constant contact with each other regarding infection rates, quarantine effectiveness, treatments etc as it progresses round the world.

We are now a few weeks on from the initial outbreak in China and possibly 2 or 3 weeks behind Italy in some terms. Certain lessons will have been learned,  both good and bad together with each countries differing health service caperbilities. Herd immunity strategies may also be a differing factor as the infection migrates through different countries necessitating possible different approaches country by country as it hits them. I don't think it's as simple as a one size fits all problem. The fact is it's highly contaguous and many people will contract it regardless of government intervention, its a matter of how they can best mitigate the consequences and manage an already over burdened health service in this country, but that's another issue. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think you're missing the point. The reason for slowing the spreading is to allow the NHS, doctors, nurses etc to try and cope the best they can with the huge amount of cases. Delaying the inevitable for as long as possible will actually save many lives. 

You're right, I heard on newsnight a scientist say that if we're still dealing with this head on in six months, we'll have actually done well as we'd have spread it out. This could all be over in a month or two, but if it is, it'll have been a complete unmitigated disaster.

17 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Can we please still have an imaginary Match Thread tomorrow?  Some FT Members will need to slag off our players.  So someone needs to put up the Team a 2 pm tomorrow (before SfE does) and away we go - 3 hours of the usual bliss.

We can access the stream from the subbuteo match between Leicester and Watford

12 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think you're missing the point. The reason for slowing the spreading is to allow the NHS, doctors, nurses etc to try and cope the best they can with the huge amount of cases. Delaying the inevitable for as long as possible will actually save many lives. 

I get it entirely.  A huge spike in cases will overwhelm the NHS.  The government's aim is to accept that it can't be contained.  The aim is not to push the spike back and give us more time, the aim is to lower the potential spike.

The NHS will get battered and it's going to be a long spring and summer, but the objective is to deal with the serious cases more evenly throughout the year.  That will save many lives.

If fit and normally healthy people get it, get over it and then have some immunity, the chances of them passing it on to others reduces.  The virus is left with a more difficult route through the population.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic and not sure if it's been mentioned yet but looks like this is being cascaded down to grass roots football too on FA advice. My 11's match tomorrow has been cancelled by the league and no fixtures allowed to be played until further notice.

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

And what makes our nations top scientists any better than many other nations top scientists who have a different view? 

Nothing but they don't necessarily contradict.  We have a very different set of circumstances, we are an island and we have about 500 cases compared to 15,000 in Italy.  Just listen to the experts, they tell us it is all about timing with these measures and they tell us why.

Our response is tailor made for our own country and vice versa.  

5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

No but it is time to be bitching and moaning about a government if you feel they aren't dealing with the situation sufficiently.

Then you should be bitching about the medical advisors and scientists that are leading the government's response.  Do you honestly believe that you know better?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, murphy said:

Nothing but they don't necessarily contradict.  We have a very different set of circumstances, we are an island and we have about 500 cases compared to 15,000 in Italy.  Just listen to the experts, they tell us it is all about timing with these measures and they tell us why.

Our response is tailor made for our own country and vice versa.  

Our strategy is to slow it down and we'll be better placed to handle over time. The Chinese with a much worse problem went nuclear on it and seemed to have stopped it  and quickly although in a different political climate. The two approaches to it.; which is right for us?

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Someone finish the season on FM2020 please, I cannot stand the suspense! :frantics:

Or FIFA, or, or, or Sensible Soccer (One for the old farts), don`t care

Out of those three i'd go with sensible soccer.Used to love that on the c64.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Technically if someone puts the team up it needs to be at half 11 due to kick off supposed to being at 12:30. 

If this is Armageddon, then praise be that our last footballing memories will be of Leicester whopping the Villa 4-0 and Liverpool suffering the double whammy of losing their European crown and being denied the Premier League title.