Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

31 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Must admit I get a bit triggered about people saying Everton could "do a Leicester." Seriously there are so many differences between us 2015/16 and Everton 2020/21. And it's more than just the hundreds of millions spent on the squad.

Whilst they absolutely will not, I genuinely wouldn't mind if they did win it tbh, but can they have their own term in the unlikely event they do? Like "Spending hundreds of millions, hiring a world class manager and capitalising on a global pandemic."

I'm obviously biased but I doubt any team will truly  do a Leicester in my lifetime.  Even newly promoted teams spent as much as we do on new players so even, say,  Wsst Brom winning the league wouldnt be as big a story as us, mainly because they have a lot of players who played in the premier league with them recently.

Even top championship clubs spent a lot relatively speaking.  Maybe it would  be doing a Leicester if a team like Preston or Bristol City got promoted with their current squads got promoted, spent no more than £50 million on squad improvements over 2 seasons and won the premier league by season 2.

Edited by Nalis

31 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Must admit I get a bit triggered about people saying Everton could "do a Leicester." Seriously there are so many differences between us 2015/16 and Everton 2020/21. And it's more than just the hundreds of millions spent on the squad.

Whilst they absolutely will not, I genuinely wouldn't mind if they did win it tbh, but can they have their own term in the unlikely event they do? Like "Spending hundreds of millions, hiring a world class manager and capitalising on a global pandemic."

Agreed. It was seen as a miracle for a reason. Everton winning would be good for them, but not completely shocking like it was for us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Watkins looks great. And most on here gave Villa stick for spending so much on a Championship player, and yet here we are with only 2 new signings...

We have made three signings and one freak of a game doesn't change the fact it was an obscene amount of money spent. Hopefully for Villa he turns out good and their gamble will pay off - but it is a large gamble nonetheless.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

How are they allowed to get away with that then. 

Pathetic right? If they're proven to have chosen to break the law/rules, then they should be dropped as they did with Foden/Greenwood. FA is too inconsistent with these punishments 

41 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Agreed but they wouldn't have had the flukes if they hadn't been trying a shot. Something perhaps that we should try a bit more of

Rarely did we get the space to shoot against West Ham.  They defended properly.  A lot of space was gifted by Liverpool

29 minutes ago, shen said:

We have made three signings and one freak of a game doesn't change the fact it was an obscene amount of money spent. Hopefully for Villa he turns out good and their gamble will pay off - but it is a large gamble nonetheless.

We have made 3 signings yes, but I was counting as a net gain of 2 players - Fofana and Under. Castagne is brilliant, but not a net gain for the squad. 

18 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

We have made 3 signings yes, but I was counting as a net gain of 2 players - Fofana and Under. Castagne is brilliant, but not a net gain for the squad. 

Well if Castagne turns out better for the team than Chilwell, surely it would be a net gain? Either way, we've got the numbers in the squad - we needed some more quality, which we have hopefully got. Arguably we just need a new striker, but that would probably require either Perez or Nacho to go.

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Watkins looks great. And most on here gave Villa stick for spending so much on a Championship player, and yet here we are with only 2 new signings...

1 hour ago, shen said:

A PL club spending £20m for a prolific Championship striker is not even close to a large gamble in the current era.

Bowen in January and Watkins this summer were two players we should've gone for. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Pathetic right? If they're proven to have chosen to break the law/rules, then they should be dropped as they did with Foden/Greenwood. FA is too inconsistent with these punishments 

Clear difference to Foden/Greenwood and Tammy/Chilwell.

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Bit of a struggle this one. Aside from the fact (as already pointed out) we made three signings, does Watkins somehow count as more than one?

That question aside, surely spending 30 million on a 19 year old with half a season's worth of first team games is sufficiently saucy for you?

36 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Clear difference to Foden/Greenwood and Tammy/Chilwell.

Difference in rules broken, but still punished.  Sterling had a scrap in camp and was dropped. Maguire broke the law in Greece and was dropped. These 3 have broken rules designed for safety that we all have to apply to. FA are inconsistent with how punishments are applied 

1 hour ago, blue blood said:

more to the point how the fook did he miss?! lollollollollollollol

Wasn't exactly an easy finish. He's on the stretch and catches it with the outside of his boot on the volley. It's not like it's a tap in from close range which my grandmother could score.

54 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A PL club spending £20m for a prolific Championship striker is not even close to a large gamble in the current era.

Bowen in January and Watkins this summer were two players we should've gone for. 

I disagree. In an uncertain financial climate, notably caused by this pandemic, £28 mil is quite a huge gamble for a player who's only had a single prolific season in a lower tier league and turns 25(!) in two months.

Bowen is a different case and more similar to Maddison really. Maybe we were in for him (there were rumours), but we cannot expect to land every player we target, especially if there is stern competition.

22 minutes ago, KFS said:

Everton being talked up as ‘doing a Leicester’ is wrong in so many ways.

Why? Do you not remember in summer 2015 when we signed a Real Madrid galactico? 
That being said we did sign a combative Napoli midfielder 👀.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2